divisional races - what should be their future?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, May 12, 2003.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

with tad's reaching speeds of almost 280 mph and tafc's breaking the 260 mark, what do you think the future is of divisional events. is regional events the answer? should some tracks that don't meet the safety specs be phased out? what should the safety spec be?

let us know what you think racers!

2. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

If a TF or FC car won't run there, a TAD or TAFC shouldn't have to...

Steel guard rails are a thing of the past. For a track to stay NHRa sanctioned, they should have concrete guard rails the length of the strip. People get hurt/killed at 60 mph on the street, so don't you think the tracks should be safer considering we are going 250 - 280...

Sure it is going to cost the tracks money, but shouldn't their customer's safety come before the bottom line?

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

i agree dan,

it seems sort of futile teams spend thousands of dollars (and rightly so - safety has to come first) on keeping safety equipment current, and then we are sent down some of these tracks...tracks should have safety specs, and i think TARA has had some success addressing this issue.

what is yalls thoughts on the regional program? how should it be worked into points?

4. Joe Percoco

Joe Percoco Member

WIll, just my .015 worth but my own ideas on the alky class are more radical. Make them pro catagories at national events (this means NHRA needs to work to find money for real payouts), any overdrive is legal. Eliminate the classes from divisional events completely and (here goes) start another class for divisional level only, a pro comp class if you will, which runs dragsters, alterds and funny cars together and run on an index. Yea, I know. But, there are those of us who love racing supercharged cars but are outclassed for NHRA and realize how absurd the cost is for a sportsman catagory. Think about it though, run on 6.50 or 6.40 or ? index and give guys some seat time, experience and fun. If you want to move up to run the ego nationals, I mean national events, expect parts attrition. There is no way a normal guy can go from a super comp dragster to an alcohol dragster in one step and be competitive. Anyway, it will never happen but a guy can dream!
    JP

5. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

We will be making our NHRA debue at Maple Grove Div. 1 race. We picked there because of NHRA running a nat event at this track. Being a rookie we are going to run what we think are the safest, longest, and hooking tracks. We ran at the IHRA spring open and it was in great shape after the first round. IHRA and V.M.P. did a great job after it had rained for 2 days before. I do have a consorn about the training of the safety crews at the Div. tracks. Do they have Hurst tools, and EMT's?

Thanks
    Bob
    Great new look

6. R4K

R4K New Member

Joe- I hear what you are saying, but brakelight racing happens to make me puke along with being unsafe- we will always need a real drag racing class for sportsman racers where first guy to the end wins- thats how drag racing started and thank god that there is a class that can be considered drag RACING not drag stopping! Sorry for the rant- but you can slow the cars down with various rules if you wish- I can live with that. On the other hand if you beat goliath, it sure makes your day! I would rather lose to [​IMG] Bartone or Shields anyday as opposed to a watered down win, just for the sake of a win!

7. Rusty Kramer

Rusty Kramer New Member

Something needs to be done at the div level. We need a pro comp class, structured to keep the cars slowed to mid 6 second range. This could start out as an index class for the first year. This would give new guys a chance to race and learn the deal without the intimidation or preasure to push to hard and blow up all there stuff before they have a clue. We need to have an open class with no index. We have enough index classes now. The super comp to TAD jump is just to big. This would also help with the safety issue of some of the Div tracks.

8. R4K

R4K New Member

I would be persuaded to agree to anything BUT AN INDEX! We do not need any high speed brake light racing- whatever it is- It's gotta be an open class- a handicap start maybe (although that ussually results in SANDBAGGING) BUT LETS HAVE A CLASS THAT DOES NOT PENALIZE PERFORMANCE OR INNOVATION. [​IMG]

9. Great Googly Moogly

Great Googly Moogly Super Comp

I say pull a goodguys stunt and limit the blower to a roots with some predetermined overdrive, and limit the fuel pump.

Heads up, let's race...

10. R4K

R4K New Member

the roots blower set up is to expensive and time consuming maintenance wise- a PSI is much cheaper in the long run. boost limit seems to be a big debate in TA/FC so that may not work.How about rear gear limit- maybe 410s? [​IMG]

11. T.Smith

T.Smith Top Dragster

So what, just turn your clutch guy into a blower guy.

12. T.Smith

T.Smith Top Dragster

I think here in Div. 3, many folks would be happy to run just Joliet, Indy, St.Louis, Columbus and Martin MI...if NHRA could get them back in the fold. We raced there last weekend and the track was excellant.

13. Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas New Member

You guys are on the right track, something needs to be done for the survivial of the two classes.
    Cost is the major factor for a guy in the comp ranks from moving up. They need a "stepping stone" just as they have on their up to the super comp class. To run pro-comp class at the div. meets could give them this step. I have two guys that will be helping me when we come out next month, that want to learn, with the idea of getting a TAD car.One has already sold their complete S/C dragster operation, but both are already being rudely awaken by the cost. I did not realize the difference until we got into some lengthy conversations. The cost is already giving them so serious doubts.I am sure they are not the only ones facing this situation.Some thing needs to be done if the classes are to make the long haul in the years to come.

14. Rusty Kramer

Rusty Kramer New Member

Where does TARA stand on this issue.If any voice is going to be heard by NHRA it would be from them. Will, What do you think? How do we get this beyond this forum board and get something started. It seems many of us agree on this issue. How to set the rules will take some time but we need to put our energy into getting NHRA to say they are interested and want input on the subject. If the TARA board is not interested in talking with them about this we will have a tough time getting through....Thoughts on this anyone?

[ May 24, 2003, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Kramer ]

15. R4K

R4K New Member

t. sMITH- OUR CLUTCH GUY WOULD LIKE A CLEANER JOB LIKE RE-STRIPPING BLOWERS BETWEEN ROUNDS - BUT WHO IS GOING TO DO HIS JOB. dO ROOTS BLOWER CARS NO LONGER USE A CLUTCH? (Sorry - the caps were an accident as you can see- I should watch the screen!) ;) I often remanice about the days we ran 6.6s with an 8.71 and a super mag11. in TA/FC but they are just memories. The best memory was that it only took a 2 man crew and seemed much more fun- mind you we were younger in the early 80s ;) I am a member of TARA and I feel that they will likely wait until INDY NATS before they get some good discussion with NHRA. HOPE THEY GET LISTENED TO, BUT i HAVE MY DOUBTS/ The world of racing is now run by bean counters not RACERS! Just look at divisionals where Alky cars have been removed- purely for the financial advantage of the track owner/promoter is my guess.

[ May 24, 2003, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: R4K ]

16. ROF

ROF Top Dragster

The track owners couldn't care less about the Alcohol/A-fuel classes. :( If it doesn't make them MONEY they don't want them. Most business owners want to make money. Profit pays the bills. :D

17. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

A couple thoughts on TAD:

1. Stick with the screw blower.
    2. Have a mandatory rev. limiter at 9000 or 9250
    3. Limit the Rear end Gear Ratio
    4. Alcohol only, no nitro
    5. One mag.

18. Rusty Kramer

Rusty Kramer New Member

The rev limiter would be great if you could police it properly. Too much RPM kills lots of stuff. Randy Parks former TAD and TF racer told me this years ago when he was racing that an RPM limiter would be a great way to keep the cost down. How about limiting the intake hat square inches also? Not sure if this will help much on a blower motor.