Division 2 TAFC

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Gerry Woz, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Gerry Woz

Gerry Woz Comp Eliminator

Three TAFC's at the Division 2 race.........pitiful :rolleyes:
    Jay number One.that's to be expected...but it's like Barry Bonds playing T-Ball [​IMG] if they don't have enough cars to complete a field they should have to restrict the qualifying to..say a 2- car field...wouldn't that be funny...only three show up and one doesn't qualify

2. The Zone

The Zone Member

You should get points for round wins. A bye to the final and guaranteed 64 points. Don't think that is right.

Dean

3. ROF

ROF Top Dragster

After reveiwing the stats at DRC last night, I got to thinking....... how satisfying would it be to win the world championship when you don't race anyone?

Zone has a good point. Maybe NHRA should count round wins.

4. prosportchoppers

prosportchoppers alcohol dragster

Jay Payne is an embarassment to his sponser.
    with all the money that he has and a great sponser like Valvoline he comes all the way to division two from California because he knows its easy pickens. Hey Jay why dont you ask your fatherinlaw how to race the heavy hitters and try to win a race in your own division.

5. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

Tony Bartone ran out of division two for years to avoid The Newb and Manzo. Also Bill Barney ran out of div two for most of his Castrol TAD career. But I agree with the Zone that maybe round wins and not bye runs should count for points.. SOMETHING probably needs to be fixed.

6. Michael Gunderson

Michael Gunderson New Member

Do any of you think Jay gives a s@#t who shows up? You might want to check out how many races they do a year. It is definitly no fault of theirs that no one shows. The reason he runs d2 is he likes it and anyone who thinks they can beat him come get some.

7. Brownman

Brownman New Member

Can tell you this much about Jay. He's a great guy. We pitted next to him at Bristol last year. He told us to set our car up along side his, so his crew could help us out and we could use his lights and tools. He did help us and provided us with some parts.I watch him thrash for three rounds. They damaged the rear on the 1st run,replaced a motor on the second and the chutes tore up the body on the third run. Those guys really humped. As the FNG's it is great to get help from guys like him. The gang at D1 has always looked over our shoulder and helped us at the track. Manzo and Newberry are always willing to give you any help you need. That's what keeps guy's like us in this sport. The sad part about D2 is that they will charge you for entry when they can't even fill the dance card. Brownman and the FNG's. :D

8. SMcLEMORE

SMcLEMORE New Member

MIKE, YOU TOOK THE WORDS OUT OF MY MOUTH. STACY

9. mike w.

mike w. TAFC

Congratulations to Jay for winning the race.
    I believe Jay started racing in the south because most of our division 7 tracks were very poor. Some of our tracks like Bakersfield or Sacramento still have'nt improved and they can be down right dangerous in fast cars. You hit the same bumps at Sacramento now that we hit 30 years ago.
    I think Jay has stayed in D2 because the racers in the south are generally more friendly and less stuck up than the west coast and a lot more fun to race with.
    Anyone making bad comments about Jay has obviouslly never raced with him.

10. TAD1128

TAD1128 Member

Look at the National Event wins he has. I would think that shows he can run with anyone out there, and those are the races his sponsors are paying attention to. It's just too bad there aren't enough funny cars to compete in the division to represent the class as a whole.

11. Tommy

Tommy Super Comp

mike w who is stuck up in div 7.Everyone I met seems nice andwould offer parts if you need them. Gaspereli. woz. Doug. Dennis Tailor. Mert. which one of these is stuck up please tell me so I know. if everyone who complains about Jay going to Div 2 and having it easy should pack up your stuff and go race him in div 2 if its so easy. div 7 is still the hardest maybe you piss Jay off and he can stay home and make it even harder?

12. mike w.

mike w. TAFC

tommy,
    I was refering to the old alcohol dragster days when Jay first decided to race D2. People were not as friendly and outgoing then as they are now.

13. DragRacer

DragRacer new

The last time I checked Jay could run with anyone anywhere. It is obviously not his fault that D2 has terrible TAFC counts. Jay is trying to win the TAFC Championship and running in D2 is an easy way to get half of your points! Still hjave to win those Four or FIVE Nationals though...

All this being said, LDRS should be cut to 5-6 Divisions so that everyone would race in full fields.

What do the TARA folks think?

14. The Zone

The Zone Member

I agree that Jay can run with anyone, and is one of the top 5 year in and year out.
    Hope no one though otherwise by my post.
    But I still believe that round wins are a better way to determine points.

Dean

15. ChanceP

ChanceP New Member

"Jay Payne is an embarassment to his sponser.
    with all the money that he has and a great sponser like Valvoline he comes all the way to division two from California because he knows its easy pickens. Hey Jay why dont you ask your fatherinlaw how to race the heavy hitters and try to win a race in your own division. "

The reason he started racing Div 2 is because he runs so many nationals and other than the 1st race of the year it's goegraphically sensible. He did it so Robeck didn't have to drive cross country every trip and he wants to run a bunch of Nationals.
    As far as being an embarrassment, The guy has one of the nicest operations out there, never embarrasses himself or anyone on camera and runs more national events than anyone in his class.
    embarrassment, yeah right
    I agree with MikeW , whoever wrote that post has never raced with Jay and probably hasnt been around too long either, but hey this is the USA, you're free to put your foot in your mouth at any time,
    Good luck this season guys!!!!!!!!!

16. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

Not here to knock Jay cuz when he did race out here in D7 he kicked ass out here pretty much jusr as often as down south.

My question is why is that year in and year out the TAFC fields in D2 are weak in car counts? Is it that they have a choice to race NHRA or IHRA and most choose to race IHRA or is there just not that many TAFCs in D2? Seems like the last 3 or 4 years its been the Jay and Mark Billington show down there with each of them trading off wins.

17. Michael Gunderson

Michael Gunderson New Member

Heres your answer, last race in gainsville at the end of the year Jay announced he would not be there, they had 9 0r 10 cars show, you figure it out.

18. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

Michael,

Makes perfect sense when you put it that way, thanks for the insight.

19. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

its not just because jay is in div.2, the biggest reason is that there just aren't any cars in the southeast. sure there are a bunch of match race roots cars but they couldn't pass tech at a nhra race. if somebody out there wants to cover the travel expenses for my crew i would be glad to head south. it can't be any tougher than running manzo, newberry and gill each week in div.1.

20. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

I think any track that doesn't average at least 5 cars per event in TAD/TAFC shouldn't be allowed a Div. race IMO. But that's just me.