Digital Fuel timers (ie Leahy box) good or bad for TAD/TAFC?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

I was asked by Len Imbrogno to start a thread in reference to the possibility of using electronic timers for fuel management next year. Currently you can use boxes like the Leahy box to control ignition timers, but not on the fuel system.

For those of you not familiar with the Leahy boxes, they are a big timer box that is very easy to use. If you can set a digital alarm clock, you can figure out how to use this box.

Now this is my opinion as a racer, I'm all for them. They cost around $500 bucks. The CO2 timers are marginally accurate at best, and sometimes have a mind of their own. I know I'm not the only one to have the close valve on your fuel mgmt decide to close later than what you told it too...and had parts breakage result. Not to mention how much quicker it will be to make a change.

Don't take my word for it....let's hear some opinions.

2. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

I think I'd be for it. Though, I've never had to buy new timers or anything...so just as a question, say you needed 4 different events in your timer system how much would that cost to set up on the normal CO2 deal (timers, digital timer checker, etc etc) as compared to that electronic deal, ready to run? Do you replace the timer switch on the throttle with a micro swith or something?? Are the little black fuel valves different?

3. O.J.D.

O.J.D. New Member

I think it is a great idea. BUT, some will get greedy and lean it out too much at some points which could lead to more engine failures. Though, the ones that get it right will probably be able to get rid of a lot of tire shake but still have good 60' times and top end speed. Just like any other change, a good learning curve till things are worked out. (kind of like the overdrive change will take time to get things wired out)

4. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

leahy

The Leahy system is a great system. The timer box has always been legal. However, the switches have been outlawed. They are very easy to use and should be allowed. It eliminates error on all accounts.
    The leahy box does NOT control how much or how little you lean a fuel system. It only eliminates the air timers. The people who get happy changing jets too much will still have issues with oil downs.
    If you already have the leahy box then it is actually cheaper to use his switches rather than buy the air timers. Many of his older timer boxes are available through many fuel teams. They have gone to the newer unit that controls more timing stages. The older models are available if you look. They are perfect for alcohol racing.

5. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

Yeah what Larry said...

KB

6. Izzy

Izzy New Member

Kevin, I don't think you a-fuel guys should get them, just us blown guys!!! ha ha ha

7. Dennis Taylor

Dennis Taylor Authorized Merchant

Len called here today also. The issue with us is the repeatability of the air timers. All were looking for is something that is simple to use and will work as advertised. I think this is something that gives us that. It does not control anything, just replaces the air timers. DT.

8. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Electronic Timers Used for timing control?????

Since when is it legal to use an electronic timer to control mag timing? MSD has a unit like the TF cars have been using for the last couple of years that would be great but I was told that in TAD no electronic timers on the ign. or fuel systems. Kind of a mute issue on TAD a-fuel cars as most have gotten away from air fuel timers. I personaly don't care one way or the other but given the choice would like to see the msd ign. timing controler legal for TAD.
    There would be unlimited options for the use of electronic timers on a fuel car and I could see 24 channel units which would still require the use of a solonoid type valve and manifold with jets for each channel to manage the fuel system. Guess I'm for that to as I don't think we are in the technology age with air timers made for equipment that packages cookies.

9. Chris Demke

Chris Demke Super Comp

Nitrohawk,
    Check out http://www.electrimotion.com/index.htm to see what is currently used today in TAD to control a six shooter to change ignition timing.

To add fuel system control just add the 5 or 10 channel electric to air log.

I vote to make it legal. Pnuematic timers (the currently legal method) and the the Leahy setup accomplish the same thing. However, the Leahy setup adds:

- reliability
    - accuracy
    - ease of use

Chris

10. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

WELL, if you feel that way then fine.....see if I send you a christmas card mister!

KB

11. A/Fuel&HisMoney

A/Fuel&HisMoney Jr. Dragster

We're just getting started, so it's going to make it easier, let's do it!:D

12. a/fuel goddess

a/fuel goddess New Member

might as well make it legal since every a/fuel car i see is already using it as a fuel timer. then collins wouldn't have to go though every a/fuel pit and try and find it, and it doesn't really seem he knows what he is looking for anyway.
    oh, by the way. why doesn't he check any blown cars?

13. Izzy

Izzy New Member

Kevin, you know I'm just teasin! I also think that they should be legal. We have the technology, lets use it.
    Jeff

14. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

it's ok

collins has checked just as many blown cars as he has a/fuelers.

publicly bad mouthing the head tech guy doesn't bode well for 'easy' tech inspections.....

15. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

OK then we're still friends.....I will put your name on the Christmas card list again!:D

I know your teasin....thats what keeps it fun....

KB

16. Vernon Wilde

Vernon Wilde Member

Will, you know mostly that I just lurk here and there, just wanted to let you all know that Jim Collins is (as some of you know) very well aware of the many ways that timers work and can be used. We have been strip searched, body panels off, fuel tank out and inspected and anything else, and they have that right if we agree to play in their ballpark with their ball. This timer according to those folks that have used either of the designs, is EXCELLENT in its performance and would be such an improvement, in both classes, over the inconsistent air timers that you can not even imagine. I hope it comes to pass.

17. nartdripple

nartdripple Jr. Dragster

Fuel/ignition System Timers

Msd Also Makes A 5 Channel Timer (pn 7560) That Sells For About $300. It Is Described In Their Pro Mag Catalog.

18. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

My vote would be yes. But I think a lot of rules should be relaxed.

I just hope Len is relying on people that understand how this stuff works in the first place for his recommendations regarding the use of certain electronics or products. This hasn't been the case in the past from my conversations with him. And I have heard that might not be the case now.

The rules have a lot of stone age requirements. Air timers are one of them. I'd like to see electronic fuel injection, programmable ignition systems, computer controlled clutch application, boost controllers or sensors (in case of something like push rod failure) that is higher tech than what's legal now, knock sensors that can control fuel/boost/ignition, traction control, and a lot of other goodies to make our cars faster and safer as well as more up to date with current technology.

Actually, the list above may be a little over the top, but it's fun to think about.

RG

19. Len Imbrogno

Len Imbrogno New Member

electronic fuel timer

Randy,
    I have been relying on input from racers who understand what the capabilities of this device are and are not. Those who understand it, want it. Those who do not understand it, do not want it. So far there are very few who are opposed to it after they see and understand how much simpler and more consistent the electronic timer is as opposed to the pneumatic timer.
    I agree, we do not need to turn the TAD and TAFC class into an electronic star-wars nightmare.
    However, this device in the opinion of most who understand it, feel that it is much simpler to use and more consistent which makes the fuel system tune-ability less of a "dart game".
    Len

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  20. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

That little black box would work wonders. It took me 45 minutes to dial in the old school air timers on Fallon's off-road course last weekend. I know I'm a "special" case but I could even understand the Lahey box. Of course this is probably going to be more useful for the nitro contigent, but it might get the cars that are struggling now to perform more consistantly. I too have been a victim of the faulty air timer = liquid aluminum equation.

For it, unless its going to go "effective immediately," 48 hours before the next event. (If you know what I'm talking about.)

Cody "The Flash" Perkins