Digital 7 Retard Issue

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Flyboy68, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

KB526 1471 Promag 44 w/ Digital 7 7531

Started the car last weekend. We have the step 1 retard always on 5 degrees retard so we can adjust timing through the box. Problem is it wasn't retarding it. We had the mag and crank trigger set to 30 degrees timing...and was running off the crank trigger.

Under the monitor section on the digital 7 it showed step 1 "on"...and step one is set to 5 degrees. Also under the monitors is showed the retard sum as "0". Bumped retard step 1 to 10 degrees retard....no difference. Timing was still at 30 degrees. Am i missing something?

Also have the other retards at 5 degrees on switches...flipped all the switches...no timing change.

I don't need the fiber optic pick up on the number one plug do I? Was thinking that was only for ICT.

Josh

2. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

I have my msd screen saved on a word doc. (print screen) Can't figure how to convert it to image form, but could email it to see if someone see's something I don't.

3. Kevin O'Dell

Kevin O'Dell Member

In the tree is it set to tach trigger or tach timing. It needs to be set to tach timing.

4. Kevin O'Dell

Kevin O'Dell Member

On another note there is a handy little tester that MSD sells that lets you test all of the programming without running the engine. It will say "active" when it's on using the tester. Hope this helps.
    Kevin

5. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

I looked, it is set at "TachTrigger". Think that'll fix it?

Josh

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I don't think it will fix it. The Step 1 Retard should be retarding if it is on and the motor RPM is above 800.

How is the BLUE reset wire hooked up? Is it to the clutch switch or transbrake?

7. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Mike,

We have the dark blue wire hooked to the trans brake, so that when the trans brake button is pressed, the dark blue wire has 12v.

W/ the car running I tried hitting the trans brake button to see if there was a difference. All that changed was the launch time started and ran to 12.50 seconds. According to the monitors our engine RPM at idle was about 1700.

Josh

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Then I think it is time to send the box back to MSD.

9. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Mike,

So in the monitor section, if it shows step 1 retard "On" then the retard sum should show however many degrees step 1 was set to...correct? Because the retard sum was "0".

The box is brand new, not to say there could be something wrong. It's just interesting how none of the retards work.

10. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

With the monitors showing Step 1 Retard on then what does the laptop show in the lower left bottom corner on the "Gauges". Does it show the 5* retard on the righthand gauge?

11. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

You know i'm not sure...I did not have the gauge screen up. But the retard sum was definately "0". I could email you a "print screen" of what I was seeing on the msd screen.

12. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Email it to me at mike.c@mindspring.com and lets see what it looks like. Was this print screen made when the car was at idle?

13. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

just sent.....

14. promodracer

promodracer Member

timing retard

Mike you dont miss much.your on your game.
    alright back in your box. Get it ha ha

15. Kevin O'Dell

Kevin O'Dell Member

Sorry I haven't been on in a while. It will not retard unless it is set to tach timing in the tree. I had the same problem. Changed it to tach timing and worked perfectly ever since. I didn't figure it out myself MSD told me.
    Hope it helps,
    Kevin

16. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Well it was set in TachTrigger which should be correct for a mag but it is worth trying. Are you sure that applies to the Step Retards. I was under the impression that was used only for CylCnt and TachTrigger selects pickup (mag or points) to start tach output and TachTiming selects spark time to start tach output.

17. Kevin O'Dell

Kevin O'Dell Member

Positive, he told me that if I wanted to use the step retards that it had to be set to tach timing to make the retard function active. Mine said on also but showed a value of 0 and the timing light verified it. Changed it to tach timing it then showed the word active and the value also showed on the screen and the timing light verified it also. The box also "eats" or retards 6-8 degrees as opposed to straight off the crank trigger. He said that is normal also.

18. Kevin O'Dell

Kevin O'Dell Member

Any update?

19. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

I would also be interested in the outcome of this issue, it does not concern me now but its always good to know all you can.

Richard G

20. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

was going to use my digital 7 on my mag setup.... now maybe not. How about a six shooter?