Details on paid alcohol preseason testing

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Ok, here's the scoop on the proposed preseason test event. Nothing is finalized, but we need some feedback, so I figured this forum would be a good barometer.

Place: Lonestar Raceway Park, Sealy, Texas (1/8 mile)

Lonestar is probably one of the best 1/8 mile tracks and facilities in the country. It was built in 1996 with the racer in mind. The track has had numerous Pro Mod events and decided to get some alky cars down it this year. Lee Callaway and Gene Snow had no problem getting down the track in the middle of July, with one run still being in daylight. Both of these racers will vouch for the quality of the track. Glen (track owner) takes a lot of pride in the racing surface and can get it up there with the best. The track is located roughly one hour west of Houston on I-10.

Date: Feb. 13-15
    This date puts the event one week before Pomona and two weeks before the Dallas and Gainesville divisionals.

Format:
    Three days of testing, with 3 paid sessions on Saturday. Payout is as follows:

TAD
    3.59 or better: $500
    3.60-3.75: $350
    3.76-3.90: $250
    3.90+: $100

TAFC
    3.74 or better: $500
    3.75-3.90: $350
    3.90-3.99: $250
    4.00+: $100

Track record e.t. at end of the weekend: $500
    Current record: 3.66/204 - Lee Callaway

Entry will be granted to a yet to be determined number of pre entrants. Please let me know interest right now, with name and car.

[ November 19, 2003, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Will Hanna ]

2. The Zone

The Zone Member

Good effort on your part Will to get this going

Too bad us in the North West don't have a track that is useable in February March for testing

Dean

3. Bob Holley

Bob Holley New Member

Will,
    At the Dallas Nationals there was only 2 cars that ran a 3.59 et or better in the first session. The second session there were 4. Not real easy to run a 3.59 660 ft.
    Don't have the sheets on the third session. The first session it was Lucas and Richert. The second session it was Richert,Lucas Bartone and Thacker. Thats some pretty good company.

4. ROF

ROF Top Dragster

If you did'nt run quicker than 3.49 then you would be paid $350,$250, or $100. :confused: Gezzz... I have never heard of any track paying someone to test.

Great job Will, you da man...

5. Will Hanna

Staff Member

i pulled up the results from the vegas test session last year (same weekend)

most of the cars were running in the high 5.40's, running 3.58's to 1/8. tafc's were running low 5.70's and running 3.74's to 1/8.

in febuary air, in near sea level alt., on this track, running 5.40 like 1/8 mile shouldn't be unattainable. also, if i cant keep this affordable for the track, nobody gets paid.

if you want to do a 3 day test or 2 day test somewhere, you're going to spend well over a grand once you rent the track, ambulance, etc.

granted, weather is a risk that time of year, but where isn't it?

6. Will Hanna

Staff Member

Ok, here's the latest:

This deal is a go as long as I can get commitments to show up.

Replies below that you are 100% that you will make it will be considered as pre-entry to the event.

7. Will Hanna

Staff Member

just talked to gainesville raceway....

they are getting completely resurfaced and won't be open to late january with a virgin surface.

more the reason for the racers out east to head this way!