Demke Adds to Phoenix History with Regional Event Runner-Up

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by News Editor, Mar 11, 2016.

1. News Editor

News Editor Administrator

CHANDLER, Ariz. (March 11, 2015) – Chris Demke added to his colorful Phoenix history last weekend when he raced to another final round at Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park’s NHRA regional event. The California native qualified No. 1 and lost a close final round to blown alcohol rival Joey Severance.

Demke’s qualifying effort, highlighted with a 5.255/274 MPH best, was a confidence boost for the team as they move on through 2016 without a key former crew member.

"It wasn’t a show stopper, but it certainly gave our team confidence and proved to the rest of the teams that we are still a major contender without (former tuner) Adam Rhoades’ help.”

The low qualifier award also came with a first round bye run, as only seven cars attempted to qualify for the eight-car field. The Peen Rite/Boost Performance Products dragster went into tire shake on the run, which the Jerry Maddern-led team used as an experimental run.

“Throughout the weekend we were trying things as we work to figure out the large Hoosier tire. We progressed steadily throughout the weekend. Earning the first round bye gave us the opportunity to experiment, which we did. It wasn’t successful but we figured out a good baseline tuneup based on that tire. It seems to be fairly reliable. While the car didn’t go down the track every time, it was quick every time it did. Our slowest run of those full passes was quicker than the next closest competitor’s quickest run, so clearly we’re on to something,” Demke said confidently.

Demke went on to face a formidable opponent, Johnny Ahten, in the semifinals, but ended up with another unopposed trip to the next round.

“If you look at the last couple races, Johnny has had my number. He took me out at the Winternationals and beat me at the World Finals last year. We were looking for some revenge, but as Johnny’s team pointed out, the overall win-loss record between our teams is in our favor. Regardless, we’re always looking at the most recent results. Johnny was unable to back up after the burnout, so I was able to move on with another single.

That put me in the final having not raced anyone yet, which is a situation I’ve been in before that I don’t like. It takes you out of the mindset of having to race someone. Here I am racing one of my favorite competitors, Joey Severance, and I haven’t had to make a run in true 'race mode' yet,” recalled Demke, who finished second to Severance in the NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster national points chase last year.

Despite having reached the finals unopposed, Demke beat Severance off the starting line with a .020 reaction time, but things got interesting after the Christmas tree.

“As best I can tell, I goofy-footed, which means stepping on the throttle a little quicker than you let off the clutch, resulting in launching at a higher RPM than the tuneup allows. The car went out about 60 feet and started smoking the right tire, headed for the wall, and I pedaled. It didn’t recover after the pedaling and went back towards the wall, scuffing the tire on the wall. I didn’t feel any impact, but the white mark on the tire and black mark on the wall proved there was contact. I realized that Joey hadn’t passed me yet so I drove it to the finish line, but Joey passed me around the 1200-foot mark. It wouldn’t have mattered anyway as I had hit the wall,” Demke admits.

Severance had the better elapsed time in the 6.879-to-6.933 decision, but Demke’s contact with the outer boundary would have given the win to Severance regardless. It was Demke’s fifth final round appearance at Wild Horse Pass.

The overall performance was a morale boost for Demke and his Peen Rite/Boost Performance Products team, who will next race at the Denso Spark Plugs NHRA Nationals in Las Vegas, April 1-3.

“Our team is very proud of our performance in Adam’s absence. Jerry Maddern is the crew chief. Kevin Watson stepped up. Since Jerry was calling the strategy, Kevin was implementing the tactics. I’m very proud of Kevin and his ability to step up and take that role. I’m proud of our team and I think we expect big things for the season to come. “

Maddern Racing is a family-owned and operated NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster team based in Southern California. The team's Chris Demke-driven Peen Rite/Boost Performance Products blown alcohol dragster is owned by Jerry Maddern and crewed by Kevin Watson, Mike Demke, Greg Rice, and Robert Hadaller. For more information on Chris Demke and Maddern Racing, please visit www.Facebook.com/MaddernRacing.

Maddern Racing receives support from the following companies: Peen Rite Inc., Boost Performance Products, B-G Detection, Afco, LA X-Ray, Hoosier Racing Tires, Motorsports Unlimited, VP Racing Fuels, and Morningwood Energy Drink.