crower 8 port fuel injectors

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by NITROBANDIT1, Dec 19, 2011.

1. NITROBANDIT1

NITROBANDIT1 LOST IN SPACE

anybody remember what square inch 8 port fuel injectors crower used to make for the top of a blower? i believe there were 3 different ones, but not sure.??????????

2. Moparious Maximus

[​IMG]

You mean like this one...if my picture works that is.

Mine is the 2.812 bore size, I know they made a smaller one but im not sure what size they were. I have also heard they made two different styles, one for F/C and one for dragsters, again Im not sure of this.

3. NITROBANDIT1

crower port

yes, thats the one. looking at maybe puting one on my altered. the older i get, the more i like the looks of it !!!!!

4. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

From what I get from the "Fuel Injection Secrets" book, Crower is not making that scoop anymore but Ron's fuel injection has the Crower 8 Port injectors replicas.

http://ronsfuel.com/crower_hat.cfm

Hope this helps

Corey

5. Moparious Maximus

I have been running mine 5 or 6 years now and I really like it. They are a bunch taller than an enderle hat, makes it harder to see if you're in a center steer but they do look mean.

6. NITROBANDIT1

inject me

ive seen a few real nice ones for sale lately, and got my interest up. i saw one on shirlys car at pamona , and it looked pretty big!

7. Bob Alberty Jr.

I have a set of 2.812 like seen in your photo, my question is what barrel valve is in your picture? Mine has crower machined into the top and the inlet and return coming from (for clarification) the passenger side, has an port on the other side that they left blank, or unfinished, and the two ports on the front, one at the backside of the spool, and one at the nozzle line height.

8. Frontenginedragsters

This a posting I put on the H.A.M.B. a couple of years ago
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228144&highlight=crower+alcohol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The small 8 port Crower you have first appeared in 1968. It was also used on Connie Kalitta's Boss 429 Ford Hemi powered front engine top fuel car in 1969. Garlits made it famous from 1971 on. They were in direct competition with Enderle and Hilborn for top fuel injection. Enderle's Bug Catcher has 32 sq. inches of opening. Crower's injector [like the one you have] is 38 sq. inches. Its a better injector becouse it directs the air straight down into the blower opening. Garlits also liked it becouse they were still using a pedel clutch for the most part. You could feather the throttle out of the gate on a slippery race track and the competiiton could not tell how far open your throttle was. The Crowerglide clutch changed all that. Many teams were VERY successful with the 38 sq. inch Crower. Prudhomme, Beadle, Jungle Jim, Muldowney, Candies & Hughes, Jerry Ruth, Johnny Loper, Gordie Bonin, Herm Peterson, and many more. In the late 1970's Enderle cam out with the Bird Catcher. The opening was enlarged to 45 sq. inches. This was in demand for the growing number of alcohol cars that needed a bigger injector. Many of them found their way onto fuel cars. Crower stepped-up in the early 80's with the "Hercules" injector. 53 sq. inches. Again, many fuel cars were faster with the new Crower. Garlits, Gary Beck, Mark Oswald, Etc. As technology progressed, Enderle introduced the " Buuzzerd Catcher" @ 59 sq. inches. Crower decided to get out of the injection business in the late 1980's and sold everything to Ron Upham of Flying Toilet fame. He did not push Crowers excellent products that he bought and just let it fade into history. I own several Crower blower injectors and run one on a tunnel ram with alcohol. I have set-up several others and dyno'd them also. They give very good cylinder to cylinder distribution. We have 8 EGT's on the dyno and these Crower's perform the best. I think they are one of the best injectors ever made. They have a very nice barrel valve assembly. Very user freindly and versatile. Take your barrel valve apart and look it over good. Many people had different opinions on how to hack and wack on the inside of the spool. Some of the modifications are not very good. I am rebuilding a 53 sq. inch unit right now. I have it all apart putting in new shaft bushings and getting it powder coated. I will try to load a picture of it. Turn your scoop around, it must have came off a boat. If you need it looked over, call me:
    Pro-Formance Specialties
    1115 East Main St.
    Rochester, NY 14609
    585-288-1499 / 8-5 / EST
    Matt

9. NITROBANDIT1

crower

so what size butterflies were used for the 38 and 53 crower units? according to my calc a 2.25 is 31.8 sq in and a 2.812 is 49.6 sq in. when i calc a 5.25x3 hole hat, its 64.94 which it is, a 65 sq in. am i missing something here?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  10. nitrowannabe

nitrowannabe Member

Give Matt a call. If that's is not a good number post and I can find a good one. Also go to dbhardparts.com. Look at the new billet version Nasty Dave is wotking on. Notice the K style bv on the billet 8 port. I think I read that the big pumps need the bigger bv to work with the old Crower.

11. Moparious Maximus

Barrel valve

The barrel valve on my unit is NOT a Crower, from what I can see it doesnt have a name on it so im not sure who's it is, my best guess would be a Hilborn or maybe an older Kinsler. I worked the slot in the spool over pretty good myself, the idle ramp was too shallow and the whole slot was on the narrow side, works pretty good now though.

About the cyl-cyl distribution, it seems to do great like Matt said. I built my fuel system using port nozzles thinking I would need to tune port to port, all of my port nozzles are the same size and all my plugs are very close. I dont push on it that hard either that probably helps too.

12. Moparious Maximus

13. NITROBANDIT1

injector

i do like the billet one benjamin is making. doesnt sound like they have had anybody run it on alchohol, just nitro. not too sure how it would run. i would like a bigger square inch to match the one taken off. that ebay one is way too expensive for whats missing. gee whiz ~!

14. Moparious Maximus

It wouldnt surprise me that he sells it, it is an excessive amout of money but people spend crazy money on old race parts like that.

15. Bob Alberty Jr.

I'm interested in parting with my set if you have any interest. They are complete, with the barrel valve / distribution block (1 piece) rubber nozzle lines, nozzles and nozzle holders, all linkage, they are the 2.812 bores with scoop , and the origional cover. I dont have pics posted on photo bucket, but there are a couple here ( http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...46677686108.2034715.1204406175&type=3&theater ) ( http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...46677686108.2034715.1204406175&type=3&theater )

I've wanted a set of Crowers forever, but in my opinion, they just dont look right on my late model door slammer, the hood is too wide, and I'm light years away from the funny car in my mind, lol,

I'm wanting a TALL wide carbon hat that has the std roots opening, so if I can sell mine, and add some benji's to get where I want to be, I'll let them go

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  16. NITROBANDIT1

inj

your facebook thingy doesnt work. if you could send me some pics to nitrobandit1@yahoo.com and i would be interested in looking at it. thanks,dan