Crashing at E-town

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Dave Germain, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

I thought I saw something about someone crashing at E-town today or yesterday but I can't find anything about it. Does anybody have anymore info on what happened and if everybody is ok? Dave Germain

2. pleasureseekers

pleasureseekers New Member

it was guest blowing a tire and hitting greco after the finish line they both got out of the cars and are ok

3. Dave Kommel

Dave Kommel Member

This is what Monroe posted on Facebook about an hour ago:

Update: I'm fine. Very sore though. Tire blew about 1,200 to 1,300 feet. The car darted into the wall, the other tire blew and took me across the lane into the other wall. The guy I was racing tee boned me. It took off both of our front ends. I was spun around backwards until the car finally came to a stop. Bad wreck and I'm very glad we both were able to walk away.

4. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Thanks guys

E-town has a scarey rep. I am glad things weren't worse. Dave Germain

5. big john

big john New Member

hoosier's

was he running hoosier tires ?

6. Kennon

Kennon New Member

Usually Goodyear

7. Gizmo

Gizmo Member

Yes Hoosiers

Steve L.

8. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

There's a video of the crash on youtube. I was not smart enough to pull it over here and get it to work, maybe someone with some tec can. It was pretty nasty.

Blessings.......Ron Clevenger

9. LUTHER

LUTHER New Member

10. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

crash

NHRA suspended owner , Geist and Monden for 1 year. Ran tires they were told not too!!!!!!!!!!!! Don

11. backmotor

backmotor Owner/Crewchief/Test Pilot

12. rcparker

rcparker New Member

I crewed for Joe early last year. Regaurdless of the decision or what was said and who knew what i never saw Joe do anything unsafe or dangerous. Im sure he ran the tires based off his years of running hoosiers. While i worked for him last year we made many laps on two sets of tires with no problems. This is a bad situation but im certain Joe did not send that car down the track feeling there was a problem from my experience working with him. As they say hind sight is always perfect.

13. PROCOMP1

PROCOMP1 New Member

Joe Monden is the most straight-up person I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

THERE WAS NO WAY he'd compromise ANYBODY'S SAFETY....PERIOD!

Joe, I am truly sorry for what happened and the ruling handed down by NHRA today.

Tim Charlet

14. Tom Lang

Tom Lang New Member

15. PROCOMP1

PROCOMP1 New Member

16. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

Hoosier in the lanes checked the tires, I think they know which tires they recalled. As someone that was on the return road when it happened... I can say mistakes were made and two cars were lost one that the owner can replace with a phone call and 20 minutes, the other a car that a family had all there hard erned money and time, and help from some friends in to be able to run it.
    Everyone at the track knew about the tires and there status, someone made a judgement call and was wrong.

17. MJ426

MJ426 New Member

Lucky but the NHRA made the correct call

If you read all the interviews, etc, there is a clear factor of negligence there. I feel Hoosier should have contacted ALL the sanctioning bodies and car owners on the recall of the tires. But, ultimately, the teams knew which tires were affected. To knowingly make a bad decision is to have to be held accountable for it. It is the same in any profession or business. I am just glad no one was seriously hurt or killed. NHRA also needs to have someone in the office there, to spend some time going to the major tire, safety and carbuilder sites to check up to see if there are any recalls or anything of the like and make sure the racers are notified. It is the least they can do with our membership money, besides pay worthless people like Gardner 750 grand a year for nothing. There are no winners in what happened at E -Town, but in another light there is, because all involved are healthy and alive to be able to race again someday.

MJ

18. 1682

1682 New Member

i get what jonathan says, monroe does have the money, but that's like saying every time there is a crash, the guy with more money should pay. that's just not how it works...
    there is so much CYA and bullshit going on that anybody that reads these articles knows it!! facts are that hoosier RECOMMENDED that the tires not be used, with no specifics of what tire said. did they notify the racers who use the tires directly? that is fuzzy. were any racers on here directly notified?? joe says he was told that it is recommended he not use the tires that hoosier was mounting and balancing after the first qualifer when they switched out. wouldn't a GOOD manufactuer take the tire?? directly say NOT to use them? joe said they were older tires with 4 runs on them, so hoosier said ok. that's where monroe says he was left out of the loop, and wasn't notified.
    NHRA claims they didn't know about the recommended recall and i hesitate to use the word "recall" since they didn't take back any tires. cherissa smallwood's tire is unknown, she was the first. al moeser's tire, they said he picked something up on the track but two runs before his, rich mcphillips shredded a rear and there was almost 2 hours of cleanup- that track was clean. in addition, he was in the groove and started being pulled toward the centerline which, according to the data, is when the tire started coming apart. not sure about mike manners tire, but come on! he was the third!!! further good old graham says (i love this one) " I do not know how we make it a policy." in regards to manufactures notifying them of recalls. monroe did two qualifiers AND first round on the hoosiers and nobody from the nhra said not to use them.
    so we get 3 suspensions out of all of this, with hoosier getting nothing. if the nhra is going to throw such a wide blanket- WHAT ABOUT HOOSIER!?!
    the only solid thing about all of this is that both brandon and monroe walked away without a scratch and we all know how much worse it could have been. let's hope the nhra updates their policy's (from pressure by their insurance carrier of course) that they are directly notified when issues like this occur.

19. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

Crash

I just am glad none got hurt, and after all the law suites are over, I hope the right person makes out good enough to go racing again. This isn't oh well that racing ! Someone is accountable. Don

20. blownracer/a-fuel

Recall

Who received a "recall" notice on these tires? Our tire blew at the finish line with no warning at all. In other words Mike did not have to start steering the car or feel and vibration before it exploded. In my opinion if a rear tire starts going flat you would have to steer the car, both Monroe's and our tires exploded instantly. Is it possible to hit a dzus button at 270mph and the tire explode and not just go flat? We bought a brand new set of the hoosier C2055's the Monday after our crash and I have talked to hoosier several times after the tire blew out never once was I asked to return the tires I was "asked" not to run the tire until they get some more data on them. We could have put our tires on at any point and time after our crash. Why not suspend everyone that has ran the tire since the "recall"?It would take 2 cars out of my division that I know have ran the C2055.