Crank selection and the effects of more weight

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Soldierboy0098, Aug 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Soldierboy0098

Soldierboy0098 Active Member

Hi, So I know Bryant, Winberg, and Velasco are all great cranks but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with one hurting E.T. over the other, if one needs more heavy metal, or if one is more repairable than the others. Just wanting unbiased opinions please.

My understanding is That the Bryant's are easier to get and are the most common, Winberg's are made a little beefier and have more contouring/Finishwork than a Bryant, and that Velasco's are like 10-12 lbs heavier but seem to be more repairable thanks to all the added beef.

If anyone can share there experiences it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Trevor Sherwood
    727-364-4368

2. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

My Winberg was really heavy. 8lbs over my Bryant . And took a ton of heavy metal to balance. Trying a Bryant this weekend. Every promod car uses a Bryant , I'm guessing it's for the weight and how quick it reaches max rpm

3. blown1969camaro

trev
    dont over think it you need to get car done and put 50-100 runs on it before you worry about a .01 of a sec in et . get a hd valesco we get 50+ screw runs on em . you would get 100+ then when you have seat time and have the car figured out go from there .
    love ya but get that damn thing done before they outlaw dragracing all together

4. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

What are you guys thinking in regards to contouring/shaping/windage, does it gain a little HP or maybe it aerates the oil less?

5. Soldierboy0098

Chris, I have to buy a crank to finish the car, they all cost about the same except when it comes to balancing costs so I might as well get whatever I am going to run to begin with and be done with it, research costs only time.

6. Soldierboy0098

A friend of mine has a Winberg and said it took 18 pieces of heavy metal to balance it as well, I am guessing this may be common with them. Please let me know what you find out, Thanks -Trev

7. Soldierboy0098

Hi Robert, Which brand of cranks feature the center counterweights? Is that a good or bad difference? Thanks -Trev

8. turbo69camaro

turbo69camaro Member

last bryant crank i had you send them the bob weight and they contour the counter weights with no heavy metal

9. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

We have always run center counter cranks. never had rear main issues others have had.

10. pnconcepts

pnconcepts Member

whenever I buy one from these companies I give them the bobweight and they build the counterweights to achieve balance with zero heavy metal.