cracked crank

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by lucky2wd, Jan 30, 2019.

1. lucky2wd

lucky2wd Member

can a cracked crankshaft still have a nice ring when tapped with a hammer? I always thought they sounded with thud around the crack. haven't taken this one to the mag shop yet, but it sure sounds nice

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I have always believed that to be true. Never had it fail me yet. Just like if a glass or a bell has a crack it will not ring.

3. aj481x

aj481x Member

Ringing is tried and true, works best if hung by the front bolt. Does not always show up cracks around oil holes. If it doesn't ring true it almost certainly is dead, but fluxing still is best.

4. Neil Morley

Neil Morley Member

I’ve got a crowed crank with almost no run time on it that like crazy but after it was magnafluxed a big old crack showed up on the no. 1 journal, I couldn’t believe it $2200 down the drain!

5. lucky2wd

lucky2wd Member

well it didn't show any cracks, but I had two (one with a small crack) that did ring. also had a dud that didn't show a crack but it was a real dead dud. my main one in question is flopping the degree wheel til it rubs the pointer 2/3s around.

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Cranks can be straightened and sounds like yours needs to be

7. lucky2wd

lucky2wd Member

How would I have bent it? just did this on dyno

8. Neil Morley

Neil Morley Member

After reading my post I meant to say I have a almost new crower crank with very little run time and even though my bearings looked perfect and the crank rang very nicely with a hammer I just knew the crank was good and almost didn’t bother magnafluxing it but since it was out thought why not but sure enough it showed a crack a third of the way around the front of no. 1 rod journal in the fillet so turned it as much as .150” hoping the crack would go away but no luck and as far as I know no one car repair it? Thought about sending it to mile high crankshaft but figured it would be a waste of time and money to ship it?

9. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

I know Callie’s is in the process of building billet cranks for hemi , splined and keyed but they are really hard to get ahold of. They built over 200 of them and were all spoken for within a week. More are coming but takes time. In case your wondering they were in every nitro application last season. Winberg cranks would last 8-10 runs and these Callie’s would go about 15 before they had problems. But that’s nitro so I would think in alcohol they would be fine. I’ll have mine mid season so I’ll keep people posted.

10. John byob

John byob Member

Can u use a guitar tuner to listen to the ringing of the crank when u tap it with a hammer t hear if it’s cracked?

11. WIDEOPEN231

WIDEOPEN231 Member

I know with A/fuel cars #1 journal is standard crack location. Supposedly a swap cam will help. Changing firing order so as not to beat crank as bad. car owner just ordered two new Bryants that have extra crank throws to help with issue too. Or that is what we have been told.