COOLING SYSTEM OR NOT?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by sammy christian, Dec 4, 2016.

1. sammy christian

Running Procharged BBC, Dart iron block w/Brodix conventional heads in a fast Top Sportsman door car with a radiator and complete cooling system.
    Can I run reliably with no water- no cooling system/dry? Will it hurt the heads? I don't think there will be an issue will cooling between rounds, just don't know if it will hurt anything else.
    Looking to lean on it a bit more and don't want to empty the cooling system at mid-track if it torches or lifts a head/or gasket.
    Thanks!

2. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Member

You are not giving us much information to answer your question. What are using for fuel? How much boost? Etc.
    Joe

3. aj481x

aj481x Member

We have run the same setup 25-30 boost on methanol, o-ring w/ copper, no problems.

4. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

If you're worried about it, I've got a 565 Dart iron block with Profiler conventional solid heads for sale. FWIW, When I ran water heads I had no cooling system, but did have water in it.

5. sammy christian

Thanks for the replies.
    I was hoping to be able to go to about 40#.
    Methanol, 12:1, EFI, currently using MLS gaskets, contemplating making the change to copper/o-rings.
    I don't want water at the gasket but I am concerned about water heads and no water.
    Any consideration for the dry-deck (welded)deal to the heads so they can circulate without water at the deck surface?
    A 481X isn't in the budget for this year.

6. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

I wouldn't try 40# with MLS gaskets.......

At 12:1 and 40# the tuning window is not very forgiving, be careful.

7. turbo69camaro

turbo69camaro Member

I ran a roots blown SBC cast alum heads iron block 100% filled .I ran 40 psi 11-1 comp welded all water openings on the deck of head . I ran a -12 line to the back of each head .came out at outlet on manifold to a radiator.in my opinion a high HP cast dry head will loose its heat treat after a while and cause other issues. Also use copper gaskets with hoop orings in heads receiver groove in block

8. Bjs344

Bjs344 Member

I've run high 30s roots Mfi dry for a few dozen passes. I prefer a solid gasket with some water sitting in the heads. I torched a head once when a port line came loose and I think the little bit of water that flooded the hole kept the damage to a minimum.

9. crashly

crashly Member

dart iron bbc, conv dart heads, copper o ring, dry , mfi turbo , methanol.
    40 psi
    no issues...

add fraction more boost, bit more fuel to back base ring plug colour back to 1/4-1/3
    will cool it way quicker