Converter Drive Race Procedure

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Aussiebattlr, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Aussiebattlr

Aussiebattlr Member

Converter gurus i have a few questions..

I am chasing what most of you guys (especially blown Pro Mod guys) consider normal procedure.

I know everyone has a different way of doing things but just wondering what you guys are doing in burnout/stage and shutdown..

I have spoken to a few guys and they say they quickly pull the box back to neutral. I think that is a bit risky in my opinion.. What do you guys do?

Thanks guys.

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

The reason why we try to put the trans back in low or 2nd is to let the driveline over run the sprags, so it lets the motor go back down to idle. Same concept as putting the clutch in at the end of a run. That way you are not 'engine braking' and putting a decel load on the rods.

If you have plenty of oil supply to keep good oil pressure all the way through the shut down, then it's not really an issue. It primarily becomes an issue when the motor tries to run out of oil in the shutdown, especially in a wet sump or dry sump with a FC style tank, where the oil can run away from the pick up when the chutes hit.

3. TOL

TOL Active Member

If you had a positive neutral mechanical detent gate that you could bang the reverser lever into and then had to intentionally "release" before going into reverse, why would clicking it into neutral be any more risky or less desirable than putting the trans into 1st or 2nd? Sort of like driving a typical automobile in the snow....

4. turboDrag

turboDrag Member

Because they are not really in netrual its just a air gap between forward and backward.its selecting either forward or backward that is the risky part.those small reverse planetrys are week and break easily.mine is Cs2 and uses a c4 reverse gear inside im told...not sure about the others.We just ran a freinds car with b&j and quickdrive a couple of weeks ago.even starting the motor is trouble having to start it in gear with no neutral using the transbrake..the car took off nearly taking the guy holding the starter for a ride...

5. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Most cars with a quick drive or any kind of converter drive use some sort of neutral. Some people try to save the expense of switching their reverser to a neutral style by just starting the car with the tbrake on, which is highly dangerous.