converter drive bellhousing sfi 30.1 or 6.3 ???

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by kbhemi, Nov 8, 2016.

1. kbhemi

kbhemi Member

I see Browell has sfi converter drive bellhousings in sfi 30.1 and 6.3 - if I can use a 30.1 why would I pay more for a 6.3 and carry more weight? NMCA Pro extreme says 30.1 is acceptable - it is open on the bottom more air flow and less weight. Soooo what do you think?

2. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

I ran mine with the open Bruno bell, including NMCA for a long time. Reluctantly switched to a Browell because I had the same concerns as you. Turns out my Bruno stays the same temp with either one and cools down at the same rate. To my knowledge, NMCA is the only nation-wide organization that allows 30.1 in this type of car.

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

How much are your legs and feet worth to you?

4. kbhemi

kbhemi Member

Well they are pretty beat up - but do come in handy at times! I'll do the 6.3. - I hate weight but do like feet. THANKS!

5. hotrod796

hotrod796 New Member

How common are catastrophic converter failures?

Is a 6.1 housing stout enough to contain all the shrapnel or would an additional layer of protection be worthwhile?

6. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

FWIW I had a Bruno bell develop a crack starting at the recess for the starter pocket (thin spot at edge) that worked its way about 1/3 of the way up and across before I saw it. Its really nothing more than a glorified GM housing, don't really understand how it ever qualified for SFI.