Congratulations To Rob Atchison And Crew!

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Outlaw Nick, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

Rob Atchison 2003 IHRA Funny Car World Champion!

Great job guys! You didn't win at Rockingham but you did qualify #1 in the quickest field of Roots blown alcohol fueled Funny Cars ever and took home the Championship too!

2. Rapid Transit

Rapid Transit New Member

Great Job Guys!! Way to go. Kim

3. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

Man, he's been flying all year! What kind of motor combo does he run, and who's his crewchief?

4. WANNABE

WANNABE New Member

Don't know his crew chief. He does run a chevy combo. Found the strength needed out of the chevy block when he went to the CN billet block. Had great success since then. Not bad for an old chevy deal. He won the championship. But go back and look at the stats. That car flew all year long. #1 qualifier and low of eliminations as many times as he wasn't.
    Congrats to the entire team.

5. The Zone

The Zone Member

I actually think he runs both types of Chevy Combos as well. The Fontana hemi and the AJ type. I could be wrong though.
    Dean

6. Rob Atchison

Rob Atchison Jr. Dragster

Hey Guys thanks for the acknowledgment and all of the great comments, I appreciate your interest. We run the A.J. 481X combination only, we have been working with that combination for 5 years now. I consider my father Bob as the Crew Chief he builds all of the motors. I designed and flowed the fuel system, but as for making the call on the track that decision is a collective agreement between Les Mellows, Pat Ryan and myself. It was truly a wonderful 'break through' year.

Thanks Again, Rob

7. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

Congratulations from the gang in Edmonton too Rob. It was great meeting you, and we are all impressed with your operation.

8. The Zone

The Zone Member

Hey Rob, did you not run both combos a couple years ago then (2001 or 2002). I was sure someone told me that or I read it somewhere. Congrats on a great year.
    Dean Murdoch, SpeedZone Magazine

9. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

congrats rob, great year.

10. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

So Rob, when you going to put a PSI on that thing and play in NHRA? Sickles doesn't have a problem going between the combo's. You probably have a 5.50 racecar!

11. superchargerheaven

superchargerheaven New Member

WAY TO GO ATCH AND CREW!!!!

Just Like to say Congratulations from the "For Wheels Racing Crew". You guys have worked so hard all year and deserve the title WORLD CHAMP!!
    Guess London breeds racing CHAMPS.

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!!
    -------------------
    Fingers

[ October 22, 2003, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: superchargerheaven ]

12. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

Thanks to all the Supporters of the "Little CHEVY that could" , to answer scary we had considered the possibility of a P.S.I combination but until the price of scrap aluminum increases we feel our proven combination can be used safely at some Divisional Events as we do not have an acceptable number of grading points for most National events. We believe we have a driver that can consistently leave in the .430-.450 range if we leave him alone to do it and that can help to challenge a mid 5.60 car. The Fact is we normally have to control Rob a little with the "fellas" taking shots at us on the starting line. We expect the competitors will be working hard to expand their programs for next year and we look forward to the great comaraderie and competition to push us to the limit . We believe we did not close the deal, But we will work hard over the winter to ensure when the opportunities present themselves next time that we "get what we came for". We are lucky to have Bob's dedication to the detail he gave us the horsepower and reliability we needed and he continues to hunt for more . We will be back in IHRA next year with a very hard road to follow , but Everyone that went down the road with us as a team will be back and not ready to accept any less.

13. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

Les, I guess your right! There are plenty of PSI cars that don't run 5.70's with or without a Roots blower. I'd still like to see a team of your caliper over in NHRA!

14. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

BTW, Atch mentioned you guys run a 481. I guess more and more TAFC's are running the smaller cranks. Mic Snyder ran a 5.65 with his Dragster motor! What's the stroke on a 481? 4"?

15. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

16. WANNABE

WANNABE New Member

Unless I miss my guess, and I do not think that I do, Rob was not stating the size of the bullets he runs. A 481x is the name of the cylinder head application from Alan Johnson. They are a take off of the old DRCE1 technology from the early 90's pro stock cars.
    Great on swirl and tumble and spectacular valvetrain heads. In fact, most of the pro modifieds that run the chevrolet combinations, run the Alan Johnson 481x. The cubic inch is completely seperate and distinct from the numerical name.
    Alan Johnsons 481x

17. WANNABE

WANNABE New Member

Sorry, the link did not work as planned, and there is no edit. Just hit cylinder heads, and then 481x cast blown alcohol.

18. The Zone

The Zone Member

Wannabe is correct It is not a 481 in combo. It is more like a 526 in.
    Dean

19. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

Is this the same Chevy Combo Pat Austin ran in 2000? I think that was an AJ Motor.

20. nhr-eh

nhr-eh New Member

The story that has been going around up here north of the border for some time now is that all their stuff was purchased from Walt Austin. These guys bought all the Alan Johnson stuff Walt had including the fuel system