Coan XST Powerglide

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Mac, May 22, 2008.

1. Mac

Mac Member

Coan's new powerglide looks pretty impressive? Todd Tutterow just ran a 4.06@180 in a pro mod with one.Anyone running one yet?

2. Blown540

Blown540 Blown Alcohol Dragster

ATI Superglide III

We just ran a 4.05, 4.06 and a 4.07 with an ATI SuperGlide III in a blown alcohol dragster. E-mail us if you need any specifics or information, THANKS

3. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

Jim, is that you? Were you in your car or Rocky's? Lost your number, call me.

4. lowcountry71

lowcountry71 New Member

i ran mine 1/8 mile last weekend in a new horton dragster. just a 706 c.i. gas only motor - went 4.51 straight off the jackstands on 1st run. had a 1.00 60' time. will go faster but i have to fix several new car items 1st. i am trying coan in place of bruno/lenco set up and then later will test to see which is quicker. andy b.

5. Blown540

Blown540 Blown Alcohol Dragster

Rocky's dragster, .92 60'

Ronnie, that was Rocky's dragster with a 4.05 and a .92 60' at the PTO race in London, KY last weekend. My phone number is 931-607-5408. We will be testing in Bowling Green, KY next weekend, trying to go in the 3.90s. Call when you can. THANKS, Jim

6. Mac

Mac Member

Thats a lease deal with ATI?

lowcountry71
    Did you run a Bruno with a 3 speed?

7. lowcountry71

lowcountry71 New Member

i have 2 cars - a 285" bos with a bruno + 3 speend lenco. the new horton car was built for my 2nd bruno lenco but jason coan got me the xlt in time to try the new car with it. both bruno/lencos are 3 speeds with a 1.80 1st gear ratio. since the xlt is also a 1.80 1st gear ratio i think i will be able to test and determine the difference between the 2. i will not add back the weight difference between the 2 but i will know the performance differences between the 2. andy b.

8. Mac

Mac Member

What is the weight differnce between a Bruno/Lenco 3 speed and a powerglide?

9. Mac

Mac Member

What are all you guys running for trans coolers?

10. Mac

Mac Member

I did some searching and found out a Bruno/Lenco 3 speed setup is 86 pounds heavier than a powerglide setup.:eek:

11. lowcountry71

lowcountry71 New Member

that weight difference is close. there are some variables - such as - the type of lenco you are using - a cs3 + cs2 weigh almost the same but a cs1 is heavier. also you will see differences if you don't have to run the co2 bottle for the air pod shifters and you can remove all of the air shift lines, buttons and possibly steering air manifold. given that the converters will weigh the same either way and if you still run a tranny cooler with either combination the only other difference should be the drive shafts - whereas the lenco might be shorter thus lighter and the powerglide longer and heavier. my coan shipped at 134 pounds with a larger cardboard box. since it is already in the dragster i cannot get the exact weight - but i guess it weighs more than 105 pounds and less than 120 pounds. i weighed my 3 speed cs3 and bruno (both were dry) and got more than 190 pounds bewtween the 2. the lenco takes 3 quarts of fluid and the bruno will take 5 quarts. the powerglide took 9 quarts of fluid - so a little more fluid weight for the xlt. i used the same #'s in my delay box as the bruno and it appeared to react the same - very quick. if one was building a new car it could be much lighter (by making the car shorter) by using the xlt over the bruno/lenco. i built my car for the bruno/lenco cause you can't have the car too long if you want to run different trannys. you gonna get a xlt? andy b.

12. Mac

Mac Member

lowcountry71
    Yes I ordered a Coan XST and bolt together converter. It should be ready to ship Monday/Tuesday. What are you running for a cooler? Coan says to run Amsoil ATF. Is that what your running?

13. lowcountry71

lowcountry71 New Member

yes i run a cooler - i get mine from the local nascar teams - they use them on everything - i think the mfg is setrab??? its 6" x 12" x 1/2" core with #6 an fittings. i asked jason what to run as far as tranny fluid and got the same answer - i now us the same fluid as he recommends - its a little pricey and smells. i'm waited over 2 years for someone to make a 1 1/2" input shaft powerglide - it is sure neat to be able to run the same converter on either your bruno/lenco and your powerglide. i switched several years ago to coan's 2 piece converter and i am very satisfied with it. both jason and walker have been very helpful to me and i would recommend their products to anyone. andy b.

14. Mac

Mac Member

I was talking to a guy who runs a Bruno/Lenco and he runs Shogun's "Kool Kan" cooler.It holds 5 quarts and has a check valve feature that keeps the fluid in the cooler when you shut it down. He drains the cooler between runs and fills it with 5 quarts of COLD trans fluid to help cool it down,he said it only takes a couple minutes but makes a huge difference. I bought one but now I'm looking for a good place to mount it:confused:

15. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

You also need to have a blower, squirrel cage, etc. on the convertor itself between rounds. Once the convertor is pressurized, there is not an awful lot of fluid transfer or circulation in the convertor itself so heat buildup is concentrated there. Changing the fluid in the Kool Kan is a neat idea but I have the same space problem as you Mac, don't know where I would put it and have access without having to pull the body every round.

16. Mac

Mac Member

What are you running for a trans/converter?

17. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

going to throw this out there...just sitting here reading and thinking,,,why couldn't you some how have a pump on the tranny line to circulate the tranny fluid?..just a thought..back to a 3 speed...Dave
    www.myspace.com/daveloweswr

18. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

It's a JW case with a hodge-podge of internals, big input, 1.64 1st, 10 clutch drum, mostly BTE and PTC parts with PTC 10-inch blower convertor. Jury is still out on the glide as I have yet to make a full pass with it (drive shaft issues) but the guy that built it does a lot of T/D T/S racing, has a 6.80 2400# Cutlass that he does a lot of R&D for PTC with, over 100 laps with no major breakage, so hopefully my tranny will hang in there with the lighter car.

Dave, that's an interesting idea, don't know why it wouldn't work.......

19. Mac

Mac Member

:mad:
    I would be ready to run if I wasn't wainting on Coan still. I was told the trans and bolt together converter was shipped last week. I find out yeasterday that its NOT EVEN DONE! They said they were waiting on cases but they fail to tell you that when you order one???

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  20. lowcountry71

lowcountry71 New Member

MAC - i waited for mine but the wait was somewhat by my choice. i didn't want to buy the 1st XLT tranny. i have always had a fear about buying the first thing any manufacturer makes. i can tell you it was worth the wait - my XLT is exactly what i wanted and more. i am able to switch between my bruno/lenco with 1.25" input shaft and a powerglide. my "spare powerglide" is my bruno/lenco. i have always believed that quality cannot be rushed - would you want someone to give you a tranny/converter without any success behind it and make you the experiment at your cost? i already had experience with coan on my 2 piece converter - it fixed my problem at the time and also made the car faster without tire shake. both jason and walker at coan have helped me in the past and i trust their judgment on the correct transmission products for my applications.