co2 bottle refilling?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by vwsamba, Oct 24, 2007.

1. vwsamba

vwsamba Member

what is the best safest way to refill the small 10oz co2 bottle used for air shifters etc.my local welding shop would not touch it and said to throw it away when empty!"but they come empty new"i said ,so i'm thinking there must be a way to do it yourself...thanks.....

2. 560Jim

560Jim Member

co2

I couldnt get my bottle filled in New Zealand so I adapted some fittings to hook it up to the argosheild bottle on my mig welder. I put 1200psi in it and it lasted all season. I dont know how recommended this is but I had to do something in a hurry and theres been no problem for two seasons.
    Cheers Jim

3. craig moss

craig moss Member

I had the same prolem and I rigged up a coupling an filled it off of a pop co2 bottle holding it upsidedown I friend of mine gets his filled wit nitrous oxide this comes in handy when you blow up and cant race most speed shops will not blink an eye I have a family member that runs a welding supply and they would not fill it . also a scuba shop can fill it to max psi in a pinch good luck craig moss

4. wildride boy

wildride boy Top Sportsman Racer

Check paint ball gun retailer

Claude

5. planbmotorsports

Any company that refills fire extiquishers will refill them. The best set up is to go to your local industrial hose supplier and have them make an adapter from a big bottle that you can get at a welding supply shop to your little bottle. Once you have the adapter empty the little bottle and attach the hose to it. Leave it loose and turn the big bottle upside down and open it. Wait tell you get liquid coming out of the loose connection on the little bottle and then snug the fitting. Open the little bottle and you have a full bottle ready to go.

6. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

craig you are right use a c02 bottle turn it upside down bleed off till liquid then fill it

7. Slayer

Slayer Member

I had a fire extinguisher place make me a large bottle with a syphon tube in it so I don't have to turn thr bottle upside down. Comes in handy when you're trying to do it alone.

8. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

we have a big bottle, but they didn't tell us to turn it upside down during transfer? I just hook them together, and equalize. What's the difference?

9. lowcountry71

lowcountry71 New Member

the difference is in whether your "mother (big) bottle" is filled with co2 gas or co2 liquid. you want to use liquid - it lasts longer per refill- as much as 6 times longer per usage/refill. ask the business who fills you mother bottle whether you have gas or liquid co2. the is no cost difference between a big bottle filled with co2 gas or liquid. liquid co2 when heated turns into co2 gas. it normally helps to cool your small bottle to pack more liquid co2 into it when you refill it. best tool to get to refill small bottles is from the paint gun stores. it has a valve to purge off the small bottle without having to crack open any fittings. it costs less than $35.00 for the refill tool.

10. Tim Stevens

We carry 2 large Nitrogen tanks in the trailer (best air for filling tires and running air tools). Works GREAT to transfer in the shift bottle. When full can transfer 2500lbs!

11. Jeffd

Jeffd New Member

I also do the upside down mother bottle deal. You can get all of the fittings you need from your local welding supply house or from McMaster Carr. Make sure that your bottle is in good shape and certified. I took my bottles in to have them re-certified before starting to fill them myself and one blew up on the test stand. Don't want to think what might have happened if it blew up on me without a containment vessel.

12. bobbyblue359

bobbyblue359 New Member

Tim, I knew I liked you for some reason. Nitrogen! We've used CO2 for years in liquid form. Liquid expands 1700 its volume when released, so it goes a long way. Nitrogen goes 1850 times its volume, but does it keep the pods cool on a hot summer day like the CO2 does? Wouldn't like my pods to be unhappy with the change to nitrogen. Car hates me enough as it is.

13. vwsamba

vwsamba Member

thanks, i tried to get it re-certed but they would not do it.is there a high risk then with the transfer from a big bottle the small one will explode???bottle to bottle right no regulator or anything like that...

14. H BROWN

H BROWN blown alky

the co2 mother bottle I use comes with a dip tube so I do not have to invert the bottle for liquid. it is a old soda fountain co2 bottle.

15. WIZBANG

WIZBANG Member

I think the bottle you need to fill from can be right side up , if it has the siphon tube in it ?