Clutch weight and Pedal?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Brownman, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Brownman

Brownman New Member

Running a 10' Bonnifante Ti set up. TA/FC / Lenco.
    We have been told to hang 100 total grams on the fingers on our set up. Also running into problems with the pedal set up. VERY hard to dis-engage to the point where the frame rail begins to flex. Noticed some bell crank set ups at Memphis. Anybody have a supplier for such a pedal or ideas in this area. Thanks in advance...Brownman :confused:

2. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

brownman that is a common prroblem that i hear about from guys running one of nicks clutches also guys have problems with the fingers disengaging due to the pins running through the finger binding. This could be your problem with the pedal releasing.

3. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

brownman that is a common prroblem that i hear about from guys running one of nicks clutches also guys have problems with the fingers disengaging due to the pins running through the finger binding. This could be your problem with the pedal releasing.

4. Brownman

Brownman New Member

It appears like the fingers are locked in position. Even with the throw out pressed against them..the clutch doesn't release. We have tried two different pedal designs and now think that it must be in the can somewhere. As far as weights, Nick says that the 10' uses that much. The 10.7 doesn't. Any feedback on that much weight? Thanks Again.....Brownman :confused:

5. NITROITCH

NITROITCH New Member

B-man call me 225-445-3240 to discuss yo problemooohs!!!warren dauzat (turtle trainner)

6. Brownman

Brownman New Member

Hey Warren......is that Nitro Turtle still alive or did he end up being dinner, later that night? If you are going to keep a nice lady, like Lisa, you should take her to eat something that you don't have to kill first! Callin you all! Brownman ;)

7. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

Check your cross shaft, they have been known to flex. You should also have pillow blocks welded to the can behind the cross shaft to prevent this. AFT can fix this problem. At what RPM are you trying to push on the clutch pedal? I don't have any experience with a 10", but I'm thinking with all that weight on the levers and the motor up on the rev's, it might be hard to push. Mckinney has a nice pedal set up. Check with them.

8. T.Howell

T.Howell Member

Has this clutch been run before. IF not: check to see that the chamfer on the ID of the cover has been machined to the proper angle to clear the fingers.

If it has been run: pull the finger pivot pins and check for galling (I would do this before running anyway). Check to see that washers are on the screws that hold the bullets to the donut.
    On this unit screws will hit the fingers and bind if not the proper length or no washers used.

Check to see that the fingers are free every run.

See you at Maple Grove divisional?

9. KJC

KJC Authorized Merchant

We ran BONNIFANTE Clucth fo two years. IT will not lock up. finger are wrong. Buy a Crower.

10. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

WOW!!!!

11. Brownman

Brownman New Member

Thanks for the help. Ripped it back down and reassembled the clutch. Guy from the fab shop went over it and said that a floater was in backwards? Don't see how that would bind the clutch, but, just glad its fixed. I hope? Found that the set screws in the top cover were also too long and striking the cross shaft. Lucky we didn't start it.....ouch! As far as the D1 opener...would like to be there but finding it hard to put in enough time to see that as a reality. We need some track time for the entire crew and driver. There is a track rental on the 16th of April. Would love to test then, and send all my hardware out to be re-certified prior to the opener. See ya soon! Brownman. :D

12. Paul Lee

Paul Lee New Member

Dude, You need to put the can on and see if your bearing shaft (candlestick) is pressed against the 3rd disc (it's binding). If it is, you might have to take a few thou off the shaft. Remember, that flywheel is thicker than others, so the whole unit sticks out further.

13. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

DONT SWEAT IT BROWNMAN, theres lots of good guys out here. they will help out anyway they can. we we started 6 years ago i remeber all the silly things we had to learn. dont get discouraged

14. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

they weren't "silly", they were expensive!!

15. NITROITCH

NITROITCH New Member

HAY B-MAN, I got a lucky "nitro turtle"(cheap) that can clear up dem race car gremlins fast.
    Good luck.
    Warren "gonna marry (the pretty girl with bad eyesight" Dauzat

16. Brownman

Brownman New Member

Where else can a guy get all this advise with just enough abuse thrown in? Going to the shop on Friday morning to tear in down for a closer look. Taking a print out of everyone comments with me as a guide. ( Yes....even Warrens) This site is a great help to guys like us who don't have any close connections in Alky F/C ranks. Looking forward to someday meeting everyone. Got a crate of fresh parts from "WAR" arriving in the morning so I'm sure there is alot more stuff for me to install backwards! Thanks for your help. Brownman and the FNG's :D

17. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

OK, after reading all that I got one question....How can a floater be in backwards?????
    I Have seen clutch disks in backwards but a floater?

18. Brownman

Brownman New Member

That's exactly what I'm saying! :confused:

19. wht63ss

wht63ss New Member

Hey KJC didn't we trade that clutch for burgers one night?

20. KJC

KJC Authorized Merchant

I think it was a burger, fires and a beer, (150 grams, 2" bolt, five nuts and ten washer)

[ April 04, 2004, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: KJC ]