Clutch stands

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Greg, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Greg

Greg New Member

I would love to know if anyone is cutting material off of their clutch stand length to get an extra run or two out of their clutch packs? It seems that an extra 0.040" would allow a thinner clutch pack and squeeze some more life out of used parts. Any experience or comments?

Thanks,

Greg

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I have done it on a Crower 10" dual disk with great success. I used washers as spacers on new disks and floaters then took them out as it became worn down.

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

with clutch being an important part of going fast, its hard to be real consistent with the thin discs. they get harder as they get thinner. we usually dont go below around .270

4. TAD311

TAD311 New Member

Dont be affraid to cut the stands it works just fine.

5. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

Thinnest I would go was .295 after surfacing. On occasion I would use a .285-.290 if I had two brand new or newer discs. Just my 02.

ps. To answer the actual question I never even thought about cutting the stands, I think the car owner wouldve killed me

6. Joe Percoco

Joe Percoco Member

Crower has thicker floaters just for this situation.

7. buck

buck New Member

What about using a thinner washer on the top instead of shortening the actual stand?

8. Scott Misus

Scott Misus New Member

Is it cheaper to buy replacement titanium (aluminum) stands (as you cut them down)or discs?

And would you simply need to keep two different length sets of stands in your trailer?

:confused:

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

If you get washers to put on the stands under the hat of the same thickness that you cut the stands down then when you have a non worn clutch set the washers are between the stand and the hat and when the clutch wears down so you can't zero it out you take the washers off. ;)

10. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

I have two sets of stands. One std. length and one set shortened. We run the disc down to about .280 usually only one or two thin ones to a pack. Do the same with floaters, mix thinner ones with thick ones. Don't like the washer idea. Used stands are fairly reasonable.