CLUTCH SCHOOL

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by funnycarguy 230, Dec 18, 2004.

1. funnycarguy 230

Would anybody be willing to give advise on clutches running a dual disc hays any do's and dont's alcohol funny car lenco trans Thanks

2. flash

flash top alcohol

get a triple dics clutch,10 inch-or 10.7,with ajustable stands.much better than a double,more contact area.easy to adjust,and more people can relate to this setup.

3. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

AMEN!!

4. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

before everybody yells get a 3 disk crower, how about asking what the application is!

5. Harry Rydbom

Harry Rydbom Member

230 Give me a call,I`ll try to help you out!!! ;) ;)

330-673-8200

6. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

good call Bruce. if I remember right, Hays served you well when you started. I have no complaints as far as a match race clutch. Leland ran 5 second passes with his and I know a couple guys still using them now. I say if you got it, use it. but get the missing disc in there first

7. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

i ran a ton of 5.80's and 90's with a steel hat 11 inch hays with a best of 5.80 @ 240 5 years ago with a roots and hays. unless your trying to run 5.50' s i say use what you got. a clutch is nothing but applied pressure and how you apply it.

8. DQUES

DQUES Member

Regardless of what you decide to go with on the clutch I would seriously consider a data logger if you do not have one already . Knowing when and if your clutch locks up is very valuable not to mention you can see if it breaks loose on the shift , or if you short shifted causing it to slip and the list goes on for what you can learn about your clutch from a data logger .

9. Thurston

Thurston New

The biggest difference in clutches is the amount of adjustment each will tollerate. The smaller the clutch or one with less disk in a pack will not accept a large change ie: static adjustment/counter weight adjustment before it will knock you out of the ball park and not allow you to get down the track. While a larger diameter or clutch with 3 or more disks is much more forgiving and will allow you to miss the set up bit and still get you down the track with a half way decent number, maybe good enough to qualify.

To summarize the smaller/lighter clutch will always be faster/quicker, but much harder to find the sweet spot that your motor and chassis like. A larger/heavier clutch will give you more consistency especially with varying track and weather conditions.