Clutch nuts access

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by vwsamba, Feb 16, 2021.

1. vwsamba

vwsamba Member

How do you torque the clutch stand nuts with the bellhousing on? With the inspection cover removed I can't line up any to get a straight shot with a socket?

2. Marc White

Marc White Member

like this 81972DAA-3398-4EF6-8CB0-FF08FAD99C6C.jpeg

3. MaineAlkyFan

MaineAlkyFan Active Member

Of course this begs the question as to why you would need to torque them with the can on...

You might be able to use a dogleg adapter

Snap-On FRDH221

Chris Saulnier - Team Tigges
    Mechanic Falls, Maine

4. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

I used a wobble extension. I think it deflected about 30°. Before I did it I checked my torque wrench with the extension On my snap on dealer tool truck with the extension set at 65ft lbs. It clicked the machine at 63-64 ft lbs. so I set my wreck at 67. Never had an issue.

5. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

Not everyone pulls the clutch every pass. It really depends on the clutch and the bellhousing. Sometimes it takes a custom cut down socket. Sometimes you need a little 1-1/2 extension. On the 7” clutch we were able to do 2 stands at the same time in the window. On the pic that Marc posted a lot of times the extension will fit through that half moon deal in the lower portion of the window.

6. vwsamba

vwsamba Member

Thanks. I assumed notching the bellhousing would ruin the cert. Yes Im not removing clutch every run just resetting to zero.

7. Marc White

Marc White Member

Most bell housings have this relief. Trick Titanium cans will cert with it.
    Automan makes a nice long socket that works great with it.

8. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

I think the rule reads any modifications need to be done by the original manufacturer. If it’s been modified when you send it back in they will pull the cert. I know that in small instances, like you need one hole tapped or something like that they will let you once you explain the situation and go over the details. Definitely better to ask permission than forgiveness on a deal like that. My guess is you can do what you need to do with the correct length socket. Usually a short ones too short and a long ones too long, which takes a custom modification to work.