Clutch Machining Station

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by P/M Truck, Jul 12, 2004.

1. P/M Truck

P/M Truck New Member

I'm looking to buy a clutch machining station that will handle both discs and floaters, and that I can haul with me in the trailer, and that will give good finished results. What's the best route to go in this regard? Thoughts would be appreciated......

2. Joe Percoco

Joe Percoco Member

At this point I am not convinced that one machine is best for both parts - especially one that is portable. I made a fixture for my lathe to cut discs and floaters. It worked ok but not great. Then made a tool post grinder for it and that cuts floaters great but trashes out the lathe when you grind discs. I am about to order a clutch machine from Tom Mettler now just for discs. I think you really need a disc cutter like Metler's or Ray Franks or RCD plus a grinder like a Van Norman or adapt a lathe.

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

the tubular dynamics version works great for both and is very portable. they are tough to get ahold of tho.

4. Dream Follower

Bull Racing Products in Canada makes an interesting unit. Weighs about 375lbs and is on a cabinet that rolls. We remounted ours on a heavier Matco box but we had a deal. I have seen several other teams using the machine now. Set-up to do floaters,hat,disks, and adapters for Flywheel. Overall we have been happy with ours, did 15 disks on Sunday, as well as the hat and flywheel.

5. P/M Truck

P/M Truck New Member

Have printed this out for further research and pondering. I have used the Ray Franks unit before. Not bad for discs.

Will & Dream, could I bother the two of you for some contact info for both tubular dynamics and Bull racing? Are these two combo machines dual function in as much as they cut discs and grind the rest, or what?

Thanks to all....

6. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

if you've been around the alcohol pits much, you've seen the tubular dynamics machine. its very light weight. dave scheelk, tate branch's crew chief, makes them. they do a great job, run off of 110, come with a pump and trash can (catch the coolant and resupply) for water or coolant for cutting floaters. the table is adjustable, so it is possible to cut the flywheel w/o taking the stands out. i'll email super dave and get him to post or email you.

will

7. P/M Truck

P/M Truck New Member

Sounds great. Thanks....

8. P/M Truck

P/M Truck New Member

Wil, or anyone....... Still looking for a way to get ahold of info on the "Tubular Dynamics" unit. Sounds very interesting. I got a close look at the Bull unit, and a Van Norman, on the weekend. Would like to see how the T.D. unit compares.