Classic ? MSD 44 vs 20 what to gain

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by KC23, Sep 19, 2004.

1. KC23

KC23 New Member

I have looked everywhere and talked to alot of people some say there is nothing to Gain by going from any magneto much bigger one in an alcohol car ET wise .. The smaller mags (SM3 snd SM4) kill plugs during burn out and getting the cars in the lights but never been told if i would gain if i went from a 20 amp magneto to a msd 44. I dont run my motor or blower on Kill.. I am around 25% right now and looking around 40% in the end 526" chevy motor.. I know the 44 is better magneto but will my car see a big change going to the bigger magbeto? Burn more fuel at less egt?

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

If you currently do not have a missfire and are burning all the fuel you are putting in the motor then you will not see any changes. If you have a missfire which is sometimes not heard or felt then you will realize a gain from going to a 44. If you want to push the car with lots of boost and fuel then you will need a 44. As far as I know a 44 will not lower your EGT, if you currentl have a missfire then your EGTs will be low and with a 44 you will burn more of the fuel charge and the EGT will probably go up

3. KC23

KC23 New Member

I have a misfire problem with the current Electronic Box i dont run a magneto anymore.. But have been told the small amp mags.. 3-10amp mags with the big screw blowers and tune ups 30-45lbs of boost and 13gpm tune ups .. I am going back to a big magneto 44amp is around twice the money .. 3 times the cash new... is it worth it?? Will i see a big gain if i am not running on 50+psi and 55% on the blower

4. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Borrow one try it. Call B.L.I.T. and see if they can help you.