Chute Launcher for Dragster

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by TADHemiracer, May 16, 2017.

1. TADHemiracer

TADHemiracer Member

I am seeking suggestions for a brand or type of chute launcher, air or spring to replace the standard Stroud chute packs that have the spring loaded pilot chute and chute bag that I have now. THey work well b ut require two people to pack the. I am looking for a launcher that one person can pack by himself. 2,000# 230MPH in the 1/4 dragster. Mostly run 1/8 mile now at some short tracks but some 1/4 mile.
    Dual chutes. Any advice on what to use?

2. Kramer Metal Fab Inc.

I have Stroud Spring launchers on my dragster. We run 1/8 mile. Mine are about 8 year? old design so maybe new stuff is improved. It is a little tricky to hold the spring winder and install the safety cross pin that holds the spring while you pack the chute.(I could improve this i just have not had time to work on them) I was not impressed with some aspects of the cans I reworked them quite a bit. The system is reliable. I just never liked the thought of a fitting breaking and loosing CO2 and having no chutes. It took some work to mount the cans on the car but what I did seems to work fine. Shook the crap out the them a few times and they are still fine.

3. Nitro Madness

Nitro Madness Super Comp

I put a one way check valve in the air line just ahead of the chute launcher to ensure that if we ever broke an airline the chute air cylinders would still have pressure...Pneumadyne #050605
    [​IMG]

T/D racer and Eric like this.
  4. greenracing

greenracing Member

Have you actually deployed the chutes with only the check valves (with the air disconnected)? The launch cylinders need to fill with air to push the rods out. Is there enough air volume trapped in the air line after your check valves to fill the air cylinders and push the launcher all the way out? I'd be concerned you'd only get a short push on the chutes rather than a full launch. (Although a short push is better than no push at all :) )

5. Nemo963

Nemo963 Member

I just converted my standard piloted stroud parachutes (430 model for dual chutes) to air chutes. I ordered two of their replacement launcher D-bags ($70 each through jegs), then sourced everything else through McMaster car. Took a friends stroud air launcher and found the piston size, it was a single stage cylinder 1 1/6 diameter 6 inch stroke. Drilled hole in the middle for the cylinder, added a 6" aluminum disk to the end, added a toggle style dump switch (also from McMaster Car) and all set. Cost about $100 from McMaster Carr and $140 from jegs for the d-bags for both parachutes rams and switch, considerably less then replacement.

6. Bjs344

Bjs344 Member

Do launcher chutes use pilot chutes?

7. TADHemiracer

TADHemiracer Member

Yes, the Stroud spring launchers I just bought have pilot chutes but no spring in the pilot chute. The chute bag itself is sown into the pilot chute. The spring in the launcher (or air pressure in the cylinder) propels the chute out.

8. ltcunningham

ltcunningham New Member

Yes, the air or spring launchers can be packed by one person. I use dual Stroud chutes on my car. They work great. I am a little biased, for I am a trackside dealer for Stroud. Feel free to PM me with any questions or if you would like a quote.