'chute deployment

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by MotorPsycho, Aug 23, 2007.

1. MotorPsycho

MotorPsycho Member

Hi guys, we're running a '34 Ford altered and having chute problems, it's a Deist 10ft crossform, have only run 130 through the 1/4 so far but will be in the 8s and over 150 but the chute comes out and just unrolls not blossoming at all

firstly, has anyone got a link to instructions to pack a crossform? We've been racing as a team for a long time and packing the chute the same way we always have but I want to check

secondly, can you take a look at the picture below and suggest anything that may aid it coming out? So far our thoughts are to build a frame to mount it on away from the body and out from under the wing, also maybe a small lip on the edge of the wing

[​IMG]

thanks guys

2. Eric David Bru

Neat car, post up a few more picts of it.

As for the chute mount, I think a bracket/stand that gets the pack a little further out back would be best.

EDB

3. funnycarguy 230

Your Are Cutting Such A hole In The Air With The Spoiler In The Position It's In That There Is A Void In The Air Flow Behind The Car Not Letting The Chute Blossom? Maybe Turn The Chute Up A Little And Move It Away From The Car So That When It Deploys It Will Be In The Air Stream. Maybe A Chute Launcher! Just A Idea

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

chute deployment

looking at the car, it's probably a combination of the speed of the car and the location of the chute pack. i don't know of any parachute that will deploy very well at 130. one thing i would try is a fresh pilot chute. maybe you have an old dead spring. have you tried driving into the chute? i'm sure at your speed you need to hit the chute just past 1000'.

without using a chute launcher, a mount just below the spoiler, angled at about 45 up would be the optimum location. the air launcher chutes are pretty reliable, they launch the chute about 12' by themselves, but may be overkill in your situation.

unless that car is a lot heavier than it looks or you're running a crazy short track, today's brakes should be sufficient to stop a car at most any runoff at the 150 mph mark.

hope that helps...cool car.

5. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

I'd Put An Air Or Spring Launcher If It Was Mine, And You Needed The Chute To Work Decent

6. MotorPsycho

MotorPsycho Member

I did think 130 may be a little slow, but being early passes (I've done 8 in it since stepping up from junior dragster) I wanted to check it was deploying before we started hitting bigger numbers

we've had the pilot chute looked at it and it was judged to be fine

think we'll go for the repositioned chute on a stand and if that doesn't help launchers may be the only way to go, 150 stopping with brakes at the two tracks we run at shouldn't be a problem, but next year we're moving up to blown alky aiming for 6s@200 eventually so a dead air problem there would be a big problem!! (obviously dual chutes will be run then) the car is around 1700lbs minus driver, only running rear brakes too

a few more pics of the car for you all

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thanks for the help guys :cool:

7. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

ONE bad ass car...luv it

8. Eric David Bru

Cool car for sure!!

I love the injectors.

EDB

9. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

very cool car. But like Will says- the 130 mph speed is an issue. I have a Dodge Avenger TAFC and I don't know that the chutes on it would deploy very well at only 130 MPH. Years ago when I got my first dragster I practiced packing the chute and deploying it off the tailgate of my truck. Same results that you are having- the chute came out but didn't open. That is until I got the bright idea of giving it a shake at 60 MPH. It opened and I got a ton of abrasions from being jerked off the tailgate unto the gravel road at 60. In retrospect a really dumb idea. Don't repeat it without somebody video taping it. Funniest home videos can help pay for the Dr bills. Dave Germain

10. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

11. TAFC 5 81

TAFC 5 81 Member

I remember Bill Mullins telling me that early in his career (late 50s?) someone gave him a chute (too big) to try and it brused his shoulders and tried to break the engine loose from the chassis!

12. mark6052

mark6052 Member

brakes

If you plan on a blown program and in the 6s you will have to put front brakes on. two chutes on a stand will also be needed to make them deploy correctly. what wheel base is the car?

13. MotorPsycho

MotorPsycho Member

wheelbase is currently 122" but will go to 125" for the blown setup

there are quite a few cars running NFAA (the UK's nostalgia altered class) with no front brakes, plus we ain't machining into original mag 12 spokes ;)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  14. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

So it isn't a NHRA accepted class?

15. alcohol altered

alcohol altered New Member

Killer looking car!!! Totally dig it!! Whos body is that? Or is that a one off deal that you made yourself?

16. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

you don't need front brakes on that car, you just have to get the chutes into cleaner air.........just my 2 cents. the spoiler on your body is what is causing the problems. air flow is a very strange thing,especially at speeds over 200 on a race car. here is a link to our car, and how our chutes are angled. http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/hemialtered378/_NHR0935.jpg
    here is a link to a AA/FA with a similar body. http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/hemialtered378/mob99.jpg
    that car ran over 250, no front brakes either. i am almost positive that car was built by Norm Porter at NSP race cars somewhere in California. i'm not sure if he even builds cars anymore, but i'm sure he could point you in the right direction.
    hope this helps,
    Darren Russell

17. MotorPsycho

MotorPsycho Member

it's a one off deal made by UK Fuel Altered legend - Clive Mechaell, we acquired it a few years back

HemiAltered:

thanks for the pics, we've spoken to a chassis builder and he recommends making a stand to put the chutes further out from under the wing (we'll go dual chutes now to save having to change the stand for next year)

no it's a UK fuel altered class, MSA sanctioned, and the only sanctioned fuel altered class in the world, front brakes are not required