Chevy timing question

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by planbmotorsports, Sep 25, 2007.

1. planbmotorsports

I see alot of threads for hemi and Mag 44 but not really anything with chevys. I am running a 509 KB olds with Morgan heads about 118cc, whipple supercharger about 90% overdrive @ 50lbs boost, 11 to 1 compression, and max rpm of 8400 in a 100yard sand drag car. I have been having issues with pistons skirts crushing and I believe I have been chasing it the wrong way. I went to the whipple and the mag 44 at the same time this problem started. I have been running 32 degrees and never gave anymore thought to it. I worked with Arias and then JE and was also chasing the fuel tune up and nothing helped. I know now and believe that the issue is most likely been to much timing. Does anyone run anything like this and if so what kind of timing are you running.

Also would like to give ED at JE pistons a big thank you. He has been more that helpful though my learning curve and has produce a very nice piston.

2. BUTCH

BUTCH Member

Bbc Timing

WE RUN A ARIAS 10,200 BLOCK,DART 360 HEADS 119 CC CHAMBERS, 12.1 TO 1 RATIO. IT IS A 500 INCH MOTOR W/ A PSI D SCREW WE HAVE RUN IT UP TO 83% OVER(52 PSI BOAST ) AND A 44 AMP PROMAG, DEPENDING ON WERE WE ARE AT AND WHAT e.t. WE ARE RUNNING. I HAVE RUN IT UP TO 44 DEGREES TIMING, AND HAVE NEVER HURT OUR J.E. PISTON'S, A OLD FUEL GUY I KNOW KEEPS TELLING ME THAT YOU CAN DO A LOT TO A ALKY MOTOR AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT GET TO LEAN, READ YOUR PLUGS,EGT'S AND CHECK YOUR ROD BRG'S. THERE IS A LOT OF REALLY SMART GUY'S ON THIS WEB SITE THAT HAVE BEEN DOING IT A LOT LONGER THEN I HAVE AND A LOT BETTER I AM SURE. IT IS JUST MY 2 CENTS, GOOD LUCK

3. mark6052

mark6052 Member

Im surprised others havent answered yet. most blown alcohol cars with 50lbs boost run alot lower timing. see other threads. single 44 mag about 25-30. with that much compression and all. but if it aint broke...

4. whitelightning

whitelightning New Member

pro mag

i havent switched mine yet but i bought one this past weekend and will be doing it at some point soon but after talking to the rep at msd during the national event in ennis he said no matter what drop your timing a little ways then work your way back into it once you get it set first and to add more fuel when you drop your timing i went and also talked with a few alc. funny car guys and they said the same thing and if you look in the instuctions it says the same to drop the timing so i would try that add fuel and work your way back but i havent put it on my chevy so im just telling you what i heard sorry

5. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

We Kept Out Timing Around 27 With The Whipple, We Ran 55 Percent Over, But We Were Running A Big Chief Head Also.

6. bad andy

bad andy New Member

I run a 540 rodeck with backman heads and a 1471. I have crept up on 30 degrees,but she didn't like it. I start at 27 and usually stay there. Once inawhile we'll go to 29. Are ya headed to Primm in October. I'll be there spectatin'..

7. TAFC 5 81

TAFC 5 81 Member

It seems to be the safe play to keep the timing under 30. 25+ years ago we ran more timing, but did not have the boost like todays blowers can deliver (and people have had 25 more years to learn what the engines like or don't like).

8. planbmotorsports

Bad Andy

We will be in Primm and it seems that there is going to be a lot of B/A cars showing up so it should be a good race.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I was thinking around 25 to 27 but wanted to see what everyone else was running. Are plugs and egt's look like the tune up is fine and I run King Bearings and we measure them after everyrace and they show no signs of issues. My thoughts are that we are detanating the motor and the piston is taking all of the impact by rocking and collapsing the skirts and that because it is taking all impact we are not seeing it in the bearings. Just a theory that is helping me sleep at night!!!! The bad thing that makes me worry is that the car is running big numbers and you always hate to change anything when it runs the numbers but it is beating it self up doing this and that is no fun. I hope that we find that it stops hurting itself and goes faster by taking the timing out of it.

9. bad andy

bad andy New Member

It helped parts on mine. I'll look for you in Primm. I am Spectatin' again this one darn it!! Oh well,next year. Take care...