Cast Aluminum block welding

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by 32 bantam, Dec 11, 2016.

1. 32 bantam

32 bantam Member

I have a New Century cast aluminum block that needs 3 windows welded. Any recommendations on a shop that weld it without distorting it?

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Can you send it back to New Century. I know with BAE repairing blocked they then put it back into the CNC and regrind the weld off so the block looks great. Normally can't even tell it was fixed.

3. Unlimitedaero

Unlimitedaero Member

I sent mine to Freedom Racing engines in Indiana. They did a good lob. I used to fix them myself and have found that having a ground iron bar that is the size of the main line and putting all the caps on and torqued helps alot when keeping the distortion down when welding. Then stress relieve and line hone. Still it's a repaired casting and is bound to move no matter what you do. I wish they made a billet one of these!

4. td3829mk

td3829mk Member

Bowen Race Cars in Michigan. I had a KB cast hemi they windowed with a line hone after the repair. Excellent work and Scott is great to deal with. Plus they are pretty reasonable on prices.

5. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

If the manufacture does it then it's the only way to go. Why 2nd guess someone's work. Or chase problems from machining. I've seen engines blow up and shift the cam tunnel , problem is you can see that problem unless you have the fixtures the manufacture uses. In most cases the block looks totally repairable but when the cam tunnel is shifted there garbage. No fixing that.

6. 32 bantam

32 bantam Member

I called Lowell at New Century.......that is where it is going to get fixed.
    Thanks for the replies !

7. Neil Morley

Neil Morley Member

Lowell is a great and very knowledgable guy I've run one of his blocks since 2011 he always is willing to go above and beyond long after the sale unlike so many other aftermarket companies !

8. Nitro Madness

Nitro Madness Super Comp

Steve - we talked last night about the welding process on repaired blocks...
    When I had a block repaired years ago, Jay Roach (J & S East Valley Garage) was adamant about welding with MIG process using a spool gun. He said TIG welding aluminum was a dead soft repair and MIG with spool gun was as hard as the original block - T-6?. if it's just cosmetic (closing a hole) it may not matter...but I would like to get opinions from welders and metallurgists on this board as to the best welding procedure on aluminum blocks....
    Anyone care to comment?
    I would always send a repair to the manufacturer if possible...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  9. turbo69camaro

turbo69camaro Member

I have fixed a ton of cast and billet aluminum blocks and heads.no mater what process you use the weld area will loose the original heat treat.i have a Miller aerowave tig welder and it welds so hot and the arc profile is such that you get killer penetration with no pre heat .The less heat you have to use the less of an area that you loose the heat treat and less change it will warp I did a BAE billet block that window went to with in a inch of the deck .Ran a line hone thru it after and it took 0002 to clean it up .I have a few different welding rod alloys i use one is a little harder but a little more crack prone than the softer alloy.its all in the weld prep i mill out the jagged edged and fit new custom 6061 parts to fill in the gaps,

TADHemiracer likes this.
  10. weld_everything

Regardless of what process or who does the repair you should verify all oil passages are free of repair debris or even welded closed. Best way to tell after the fact is to start pulling mains at front until you find the black bearings....then go throw up.
    BW

P.s. : if you have a Chevy, you may need to start looking from the other end :)

11. Dale H.

Dale H. Member

CN Blocks does make (billet one of these)
    -Dale

12. rob s

rob s s

Do have to pre heat the block and then let it cool slowly?
    : 3750"]I have fixed a ton of cast and billet aluminum blocks and heads.no mater what process you use the weld area will loose the original heat treat.i have a Miller aerowave tig welder and it welds so hot and the arc profile is such that you get killer penetration with no pre heat .The less heat you have to use the less of an area that you loose the heat treat and less change it will warp I did a BAE billet block that window went to with in a inch of the deck .Ran a line hone thru it after and it took 0002 to clean it up .I have a few different welding rod alloys i use one is a little harder but a little more crack prone than the softer alloy.its all in the weld prep i mill out the jagged edged and fit new custom 6061 parts to fill in the gaps,[/QUOTE]
    Hi do u have to pre heat thr block and vool

13. rob s

rob s s

Do u have t pre heat the block before fixing window and then let it cool? Thx

14. turbo69camaro

turbo69camaro Member

I will warm it up a little.with the older styles of welders you had pre heat a lot to get a good weld bead started