Can anyone figure this out ? Fresh motor driving me crazy

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Raymond, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Raymond

Raymond New Member

Ok this is weried, get my motor back from engine builder new rings,bearings,lifters and freshen heads, ok get blower back from blower shop they re stripped it, so I put blower and injection on and crank motor cranks rite up it running great for about 1 are 2 minutes everything looks good oil psi is 90 then I hear motor start to bog and lugs down slowly till it dies so I attempt to crank it back up and it won't turn over so I figure battery is almost dead so put charger on and it cranks up and runs about the same amount of time maybe 2 min then same thing lugs down till it dies so I attempt to crank and same thing starter just clicks like motor is locked up so I put ratchet in end of blower and it won't turn clockwise but will turn counterclockwise, then I try clockwise again and it turns. Hit starter and it cranks rite up runs about same amount of time maybe 2 min lugs and dies and same thing like motor is locked up so I didn't even turn motor just waited about a min hit starter and it cranked, same thing about 2 min lug and die just like motor locked up.. So I pulled valve covers all valves are dead on pulled oil filter and cut open it's clean oil is clean no metal are flakes are anything.. So I recorded it one time on my datta max and when I look at EGT they are all 700-750 at idel except #1 #7 #8 and they are all 190 -200.. This is all the same setup I been running all year just freshened motor and blower the engine builder has been building engines over 40 years and done 3 for me already that was flawless... Them 3 cylinders have to always been dead on with the rest.. What the crap has happen??? I blowed through all the lines checked those cylinders are firing, I'm just wondering even whith them cylinders dead it shouldn't lug motor like it's locking up...I'm puzzled .. It's a 540 brodix 380 heads a 1471 BDS Hi Helex with enderle big and ugly...

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I think the fact that it will not turn clockwise but will turn counterclockwise maybe a clue. That would suggest a possibility of a spun bearing or it is hydro locked especially if those cylinders are running that cold during idle. I wouldn't start it anymore until you talk to the engine builder. If you turn the motor over with a breaker bar clockwise does it rotate through 360 degrees smoothly. If not remove the blower belt and turn the blower and see if it is smooth and no binding.

3. Raymond

Raymond New Member

It will turn with a braker bar I actually was just out there had it running it ran good and smooth about 4 min then when it started to hunt alittle it stopped I took braker bar and turned it clock wise and it turned. I have took blower belt off turned motor from under car with flywheel tool and it turns smooth I pulled oil filter again and it's clean as a whisltle.. can't figure out why these 2 cylinders are cold ...hydro locked ??? Heard talk about is but what actually is happening if it done that ?

4. Wildcatracing

Wildcatracing Member

dead cylinders

what about a leakdown test, if only to eliminate that from the equation?

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

F those cylinders are that cold then they are running super rich and all the fuel is not burning. When the rpm gets low when it starts to hunt the cylinders fill with liquid which cannot be compressed so the motor stops. If the cylinders are full of liquid then you can't turn the motor clockwise but can turn it counterclockwise which pumps the liquid out the exhaust

6. Raymond

Raymond New Member

Mike that's kinda what I was thinking but really weirded that these 3 just all a sudden got that fat, everything is the same as it was when I pulled it off and it was all tapped up on the ends and boxed up while he had motor.. I really think as much as I've cranked and run it that if it was internal that there would be something in the filter by now.. It's gotta be fuel.. I guess I can move some nozzles around to kinda see if it changes... Wonder why it would have just got fat like that on 3 cylinders

7. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

I had my blower freshened this year got it back and it was so tight the starter could barely turn it over. Long breaker bar was no help. Thought it was something in the engine, turns out the blower was rebuilt too tight. Sent it back , fixed and no problems. On the first startup it was fine but it got progressively worse.

8. Raymond

Raymond New Member

Mine was really really tight when I got it back but now it's loosening up we're I can turn it by hand, with both hands that is... Just can't figure out why mine would be so fat on 3 cylinders.. And on idle it feeds through hat so looks like it would all be spread out when it goes throughout blower... And it's a open bottom blower....

9. aort

aort Member

Do you have new plugs in it? Try swapping in new ones or changing your cold cylinder plugs to other cylinders and see if the problem follows.

10. Raymond

Raymond New Member

Yes sir it is all bran new plugs. .. I will try that, man that would be a blessing to find out it was 3 bad plugs.. lol

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Well either your ignition timing is way retarded or your BV is out of adjustment or your idle return poppet is not opening.

12. lucky devil

lucky devil Member

We had a similar deal on a first start up. Way retarded on the Mag and we didn't know we had a cylinder swop cam in it !!! Took 2 mins to sort it.

13. Dale H.

Dale H. Member

What trans do you have? Maybe out of oil? If pressure is applied, may not turn backwards.

-Dale

14. Raymond

Raymond New Member

Well thanks for all the replies... I pulled motor today I'm taking it back to engine builder.

15. Raymond

Raymond New Member

Mike the ignition is at 30* I double checked the BV today and on a double set leak down gauges with 1 gauge at 100 psi the other one is on 30.. so that should be 30% leaking buy.. now the poppet I'm not sure about that. I will check that

16. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Is that with the idle return capped off?

17. Raymond

Raymond New Member

I capped off everything ..only had the 6 in the hat open that air was going threw ....

18. GTPerf

GTPerf Member

if you take the air line off the gauge set do they both start at 0 ? or the first one at 0 and the 2nd at 100? if they both go the same way 0 to 100 then 30 is 70% leakage. there are a lot of different testers and any will work they just read different

19. Raymond

Raymond New Member

Yes sir that's rite, both mine start at 0 and go the same way, so I set second one on 30 which is 70% leakage.. That's rite Huh?

20. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Yes it is.