Calling all Blown Alcohol Dragsters- Will you run a C blower if allowed in 07?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Save your combo, and sound off if you will run a C Blower in 2007. It has been said many will not buy a C blower if allowed in 2007. Well, let's get a list of names going of blown racers that will or will not buy a C blower.

I know many of you would rather see a nitro % reduction than go buy a new blower. In my opinion, I think the blown cars have a better chance of getting to run nitro than getting the percentage peeled back again.

So here's what you as a blown racer are faced with. Yes you may have to spend $20,000 by the time you are done. That $20,000 keeps the value in your $150,000 race car. If you continue to say "I don't want to buy one, NHRA needs to reduce the nitro" you run a great risk of that $150,000 plus investment being worth about $50,000 by the end of the year when racers start trying to sell off their B/AD's.

So, blown racers sound off on your intentions:

2. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

History

Don't people say that History repeats itself?

If so, the blown cars will run it.

How many teams bought the PSI in 88?
    How many bought hi-helix after hi-helix after hi-helix blowers?
    How many bought the whipple?
    How many bought the new PSI?
    etc.

I bet the C-blower would be on cars and there would be another waiting list to get one.

Tjenna

3. nitroclovers

nitroclovers New Member

Will, I appluade you on trying to motivate the B/AD crowd! May the response be soon and many in the positive! Keep Top Alcohol a two combinations class.

4. Lee Callaway

Lee Callaway The Gov

Waiting to find one so i can do some r&d ASAP

5. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

Yes please. Sign me up.

6. was R4K

was R4K Member

great timing- just sent ours for recert:(

7. G.Reichert

G.Reichert New Member

It Would Be Cheaper To Switch To A/fuel

8. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

I do agree it would easier to run fast in AFD.

But some people are not as "smart" as the ones that switched to AFD and I would guess they don't like to quit either.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  9. Stilwell

Stilwell New Member

What??

Please explain how it would be cheaper.

10. Beal TAD519

Beal TAD519 Member

Can't say for sure, but I doubt we would buy it. I believe the change to TAFC would be more the direction. Mainly because the C blower will not be the end of the changes. I believe giving us more overdrive with the current blower would suffice for now.

Shannon Beal
    Beal Motorsports TAD

11. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Don't you think that Some racers like running a Blower???

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  12. TADdriver

TADdriver New Member

Switch to A/fuel

Don't want to hijack this thread, but just have to jump in here in response to
    G. Reicherts suggestion that it would be cheaper to switch to Afuel vs the C blower. We are running a "capable" blown car now, but do not have a budget that will allow us to eat up parts trying to chase down the A/fuelers.... I am not an experienced racer, but I doubt that the c-blower will truely be the answer for long term success in the class. I would get to work saving for an A/f setup IF I felt there was any hope of running it without the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ learning curve of the tune-up. I hear that a few---with far deeper pockets than ourselves, have tried it and after spending lots of $$$$-- had to quit. So..........Glo, how about helping out some strangers (and possibly the class) and MAKE it cheaper by sharing your tune-up book??? (It doesn't hurt to ask does it?!!);) :D :)

P.S Will, the answer is "no" on the C and I really worry that the future is pretty bleak for the blown cars.

13. Will Hanna

Staff Member

whats your handle driver?

TAD driver - could you sign with your screen name...just so it makes it a little more official.

As far as cheaper to switch to A/F...now granted I've only worked for one team that made the switch, but I'm having a hard time making switching to a C blower add up to $100k. You'll get about 40k after you wholesale your blown parts, and about 10k for the chassis...or you'll sit on it for a while. You still gotta have at least 100k. I know of one racer that has spent 200k in the switch.

Then after you buy the hardware, there's that little thing about the tune-up. Conway Boggs and Gallant are not cheap by any stretch. Still cheaper than winging it or going with 'free' help.

As far as A/F being cheaper to run...that's right up there with Ocean Front Property in Arizona. There isn't anything cheap about either one. Been there on both cars. I don't sign the checks but I know the numbers and I know the parts that went in and out of the trailer because I ordered most of them.

14. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

Im opening myself to get hammered with this but enquiring minds want to know. What is so much different about the PSI "c" blower over what the blown cars are running now that so many people feel that it might be a cure all for the parity issue? And why is it also referred to as the Gizmo. I know before it was banned blown racers like Jay Meyer, Rick Santos and others had them but does NHRA have such a hard on over them? Being that im in the can on a funny car I dont always get all the good info on the dragsters. Thanks in advance and be gentle :D

15. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Frankie, why it's called the Gizmo who knows! As for the "C" Blower itself, Norm Drazy who I haven't seen in over a year BTW, told me back when NHRA banned it in '99? the Blower's worth about 8 lbs. at 9,500. How much that translates into ET is anybody's guess. I think like most things these guys will play wait and see on this. If Marty or Federlin or whoever gets one and throws out a 5.25, PSI will be Overrun with Orders mark my words!

16. Will Hanna

Staff Member

gizmo

'gizmo' was the code word for the blower during the 2000 season. rick santos ran a 5.31@244 with it in phoenix in 2000 when as the story goes it hiked the front end back up in high gear. jay meyer went from a 5.61 best at his first race with it on to a 5.44 in 3 qualifiers. since then psi has learned a few things about making the blowers better, namely a better machine making the rotors in house since 2002. the tolerance is much tighter with the new rotors.

psi still makes the blower for boat racers and tractor pullers. it's one bad mamma jamma, and i think it would be an instant parity instrument.

if all of a sudden the blown cars were to dominate everywhere, then either give the a/f's some nitro back or take some od away, it's pretty simple.

i also hear the line, well it's just a short term fix, the a/f's will be back in the low teens before long. well one of the great economists of the 1930's, john maynard keynes said when asked about short-run planning vs. long run planning, "in the long run, you're dead." fix the problem now and worry about the problems we think we'll have in 2 years when we start having those problems. keynsian economics was a big push towards the country getting out of the great depression. the blown cars are in a great depression of their own.

i'm telling you blown car owners - inaction will render your car you have now in the same class as the roots cars out there. hoping that nhra is going to knock the nitro down again is going to cost you twice as much as that c blower in loss of value on your car.

17. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

Will,
    I with ya on this. I WAS one of those roots cars waiting for the NHRA promised parity to return. I will find the money for the C blower as soon as NHRA tells us we can run them.
    While the class doesn't have all 4 feet pointed at the sky yet, if ya'll can't see the warning signs, you need to open your eyes.

I've been blessed to compete in this class for 18 years. I'm just asking the good Lord for 18 more.

Marty

18. John Haley

John Haley Alcohol Dragster

Has anybody heard from NHRA on any of this yet ?

19. Bob Perkins

Bob Perkins New Member

hell ya

i will take one
    BOB PERKINS

20. Lee Callaway

Lee Callaway The Gov

Bob just think if you floor the C blower:eek: