Burst Panel Question

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by blwnaway, Apr 20, 2009.

1. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

Why not block off your burst panels with chromoly plates to force the blower to break the studs so the motor will die and there wont be a problem with fire because the engine always dies when the blower lifts.

2. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

the problem with this idea is
    way back before the manifold had the provisions for panels
    when we lifted the blower
    a: It did shear the studs

b: Most times it exploded the manifold resulting is large amounts of welding putting it back together

c: We are much better off with what we have today

3. Doug

Doug Member

Lets see broken manifolds, streched blower cases, I think we will use burst panels.

4. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

also it wouldn't pass tec..and if it was an outlaw deal I would never wanna run with a person that didn't run one..Dave
    www.myspace.com/daveloweswr

5. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

I don't think preventing fire was it's main purpose. It was the shrapnel from exploding blowers and manifolds.

6. blown375

blown375 New Member

Great idea, those burst panels are expensive! and you could probably just throw the rotors away after that deal ! :rolleyes:

7. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

Thats what I thought but why does it lift the blower sometimes without tearing up anything? The breakaway studs do their job, you replace them and go right back to racing. Why even have aluminum studs, why not just bolt it down then?

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

One thing is you can't predict how large or how small the backfire will be. There are backfires caused by one cylinder going a little lean and by all cylinders going major lean or a backfire because you dropped or hung up an intake valve. Then you got the situation where you break an intake rocker so the valve doesn't open and your boost goes way up but you don't have the fuel for it. With a small pop you can get away with just popping the burst panel and that is all. Then next time you can get a pop and take out the burst panel and bend a rotor in the blower. then you can get one that will lift the the blower clean off the motor. In these small backfires the burst panel saves the manifold and prevents the intake valves from being blown down against a piston.

9. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

Blwnaway, your scary, remind me not to line up our driver against you. I remember a particular div. 7 A/Fuel car, not you Larry, whenever they staged, you'd see everybody at the starting line back up. It was the baddest sounding A/Fuel car I ever heard, but also the scariest.

10. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

We currently have double burst panels in both ends of our setup so no need to worry. It was just a thought, most of my suspicions were confirmed, although I didnt think it would break an intake apart. I wasnt trying to reinvent the wheel, I just wanted some clarification as to why. BTW, you should only be afraid to line up beside us in fear of losing a round :eek:

11. lucky2wd

lucky2wd Member

do burst panels get weaker or harder with use? I've broken a manifold and not pop the burst panel

12. GregM784

GregM784 Member

Softer. They flex every time you apply boost. On high boost applications, some teams switch them out every few runs.

I usually run those. I don't make enough to worry about it. Mine is two years old (~15#s only)

13. lugnut

lugnut Member

I have burst panel cages that allow you to run 2 burst panels legally without stacking on top of each other.The cages we've made have a 5/32"quick connect air fitting that allows you to check inside panel to make sure inside panel is still good.Call me @ 757 425 5022 9-6 est.We get $90.00 for the set up,also they have been o-ring so no silicone,also they have been anodized black.

thanks,
    Tony

14. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

When I mentioned double panels this is what I was talking about. I think I got mine through JR @ RBS. Is the one he sells your design?

15. TOL

TOL Active Member

What about a spring loaded pop-off plate that would relieve pressure and then reseal, or would that not relieve fast enough?

16. GregM784

GregM784 Member

I suspect they can't move the volume of air needed to remove the stress on the intake. In other words, not big enough. I think anything with blown alky needs a sfi panel, not the pop off valve. Blown gas can still use the spring loaded deal.

17. TWD

TWD Blown alky

I think we had a Cragar one like that on our BBC. Basically the plate you mentioned is kept in place by 2 valve springs and it will lift during backfires and seal again when pressure is normal. If backfires are small, this means you can just keep running. (Good or not?).
    We finally switched to a burst panel when we pulled the threads from the bolts keeping the springs in place during a decent backfire. I guess the surface area of the valve just wasn't large enough.

18. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

19. REEHL EQUIPMENT

REEHL EQUIPMENT Authorized Merchant

And where should you get your burst panels?

At Robert Reehl Equipment, of course!

Proud advertiser here at ITA!

10 for $120 plus freight.

626 815-8815 .

20. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Another shameless plug.