Bruno drive:cool it or not?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by noiraude, Dec 18, 2021.

1. noiraude

noiraude Member

Hi all,this is Cyril again...
    what are those using a bruno drive doing regarding cooling?
    Here in France,one door car racer has a radiator on his as well as a dragster racer also.both are running 1/4 mile in the super pro ET class with low 7s-high 6s ETs.
    on the other side,a promod racer running a lencodrive told me he never had problems running his tranny without a cooler.
    i'm leaning toward not using a cooler but someone's previous experience would be appreciated.
    will be running 1/4 mile in door car,blown alcohol.

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Have never used or seen anybody use a cooler on a Promod Bruno. Most Promod racers use the Redline Lightweight ATF and can get 30 runs out of it. It seems to hold up to the heat. We do plug in a cooler after we get back to the pits after a run and I highly recommend that. The cooler has a ice chest with a small radiator and a pump in it and we fill it with ice and circulate the fluid in it after the run. Mick Snyder at Snyder Motorsports sells them. Www.SnyderMotorsports.com

3. noiraude

noiraude Member

thanks a lot Mike!

4. noiraude

noiraude Member

is the amount of oil in it based on a "stock"bruno oil pan?
    the reason for asking is i bought my bruno drive with a custom fabricated oil pan that matched the seller's chassis and it is bigger in capacity than a stock cast bruno pan.
    problem is none of the two will fit in my chassis so i'm modifying the custom pan to fit but want to make sure i end up with the right minimum amount of oil for it.

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Don’t know how much you are taking off the custom pan. It can’t be that much. We had to move a frame crossmember vice modifying the pan plus we modified the frame so we could easily remove the tranny, Bruno and can to get to the converter between rounds.

6. lucky devil

lucky devil Member

Using our Bruno behind a Blown Bick Blocky Chevy was ok , when we swopped to BAE Hemis we started to struggle with heat. We tried an onboard cooler which helped. We took that off and went to an off board cooler and it made a huge difference. Switching from ATF to LUCAS Hydraulic fluid and a bigger pan made another big difference. Cooling the convertor between rounds and the right fluid is paramount

7. noiraude

noiraude Member

Thanks Wayne and Mike for the infos!