Bradenton Outlaw race

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by wildbill, Aug 25, 2010.

1. wildbill

wildbill New Member

2. rickey

rickey Member

payout

$200 entry and nothing to Qualify, does not sound like a good payout

winner yes, but only 1 of them

3. wildbill

wildbill New Member

Thats car and driver for the event and there will be first round loser Autozone gift cards with the $100 first round lost. $100+$25 gift card= $125. I realize you don't get all your money back but you take that risk with anything you gamble on. We have also been told we could change the payout if everyone could agree, and I agree with paying back for qualifiers but I have that feeling that there is some one out there on the opposite side of the fence wanting all $5250.00 Check out OPENOUTLAW.com and see what we are doing from a grass roots level.

4. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

thats the problem today tracks they want everyone to show up for a hell of a race but shit qualifing money are none at all hell buck todd put on the best outlaw quick races at several southern tracks 800.00 to qualifiy 2500.00 to win at least after driving all the way to florida ,ga,tenn, are where ever you at least had a shot of making money to pay for the trip there one question why would i drive to florida for a race even if i thought i could win any thing can happen then you have no qualifing money doesnt make sence and i want to race real bad time off work fuel to get there and home sounds like a losing proposition for me just my thoughts

5. Jagger

Jagger Member

I feel your pain Jim! I am already working on ideas for 2011 to add to the race count. But the issue is not so much the tracks, as it is the competitors agreeing to these ridiculous payouts. Yeah, the winner does o.k., but he made SIX passes to get there... The runner up only gets $1,000 for SIX laps? That is $167 a pass..... NHRA Divisional pays more then that per pass!

I am not knocking the series as I am a HUGE fan of fast exhibition cars, hell we are even adding a larger spot for Altereds in 2011! But to run for $167 a pass or LESS if you don't go to the finals is ridiculous. That is a bracket racers ideology. Pay to get it, have some fun and if you are out a few bucks so be it. That is why match racing for Funny Cars has really fallen off the map. Why would a track owner payout $6,900 for a quality Four Car Funny Car show, when 12 fast dragsters, altereds and pro mods will come out for the same $6,900?

Buck Todd did put on a GREAT show and we loved running with you guys, Rector Monty and the rest. At least if you qualified you would break even. But with gas and everything else so expensive, the overhead is just too high for those quality open shows in today’s world.

Again, I am not knocking these other promotions at all. I love their shows and their teams, but hell I could book a hundred shows for FREE.... Don't short change your selves, your teams, your promotions or your sport. We are a valuable commodity, we all need to start treating ourselves as such.

www.EARTHSHAKINGENTERTAINMENT.com

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  6. Ed Arcuri

Ed Arcuri Member

In our first year the Rocky Mountain Superchargers have learned a lot. Ours is an index series. We pay four alternates, round money from the first round and $1,000 to win. No entry fees for our members.
    We have a sponsor which helps to advertise events in advance to ensure fan attendance.
    I will appreciate any advice I can get.
    Thanks.
    Cheers,
    Ed

7. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

hey jagger

you put on some great shows and you have always treated me good and paid me well and i would come any time you ask me but some times when i have to come so far i just cant afford to if it was like the old days when i had a shit load of money i would come for free just to be a part of your shows great crowds some old friends the only reasons i havent come is i just didnt have the extra money to spend to race i thinking next year will be alot better for me my car is ready to race and i hate not have a place to run it i wont even take it ten miles from the house and run it free the last time i went there and it wasnt a match race they charged me to do some testing and i havent been back

8. smblkbob

smblkbob Member

Florida Races

I live about 2 hours from Bradenton but doubt if we'll be there.
    Don't get me wrong, I love the track and imho is the best we've ever raced on BUT,
    when you start looking at the cost involved and the payouts you just can't make sense of it.
    In this economy, most racers are now planning trips based on first round loser money.

In many ways the racers have done it to themselves. If some are willing to race for nothing you can't blame the tracks when they don't pay anything. Actually paying an entry fee that doesn't even match 1st round loser is totally unacceptable.
    Basically, the racers are paying for their own purse. If this is a local track race, this might work for local guys but not for anyone who is towing in from any distance.

Basically when we switched to nitro, we all but ruled out these "fun" races. That's not the track's problem that our cost per run is more than their round money. I'm sure many top alky teams have a similar problem.

While I think the group doing the Bradenton/Sunshine races are doing a great job, the fact is it's for fun but fun that you're paying for yourself.

Bob

9. wildbill

wildbill New Member

I agree 100% these machines and the equipment it takes to operate them takes $, the OPEN OUTLAW organization is a loose group of teams with a sickness. Just over one year ago we had almost no races so we've all been working to wards the same goals and slowly it's growing. Are intension's are to find away to bring in a series sponsor so we can eliminate entry fees and ad non qualifier and tow money. I do realize we are out of the way for many of you to travel to Fl. but your wives would love our beaches,just a selling point to rap the racing with a little vacation.

We have also been told by track ownership as long as we all agree on the structure of the pay out it can be changed, so if you plan on attending this event add your two cents to the forum @ OPENOUTLAW.com

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  10. wildbill

wildbill New Member

Bob, I understand were your coming from but, you'll tow to places like BG,Atco and all points 500mi + away. I'm not sure of what it pays as to your cost of travel. The only way things will change is by supporting your local events and working towards common goals. Things will never change if we sit back and just complain, and you really can't compare this to a match race format its just not the same.

11. smblkbob

smblkbob Member

Payouts etc

Actually we don't tow anywhere anymore unless we at least break even.
    Example: At Bowling Green, in our class, it's $1,500 1st round loser. Running for $5,000 to win. 8 car field. Round money is also more than break even.
    This is the same when we run the Good Guys nostalgia events.
    At Good Guys we even get paid 1st round loser $$ even if we break before first round as long as we qualified in the field.
    Due to this, we will ALWAYS run Good Guys events and do all the qualifying attempts we can.

The one exception this year was our trip to Bakersfield California. However, we got tons of help from the California guys to do the trip from Florida.
    Plus, some minor sponsors kicked in to get us there.
    We lost first round but came very close to making money.

Still not a break even but I've wanted to race Bakersfield for over 40 years so I had to just bite the bullet this one time. LOL

None of us can count travel time in the equation. That just goes with the territory.

If the Florida races could come up with 1st round of $350 and no entry for car or crew, we'd be more than happy to race.

Again, I appreciate what you guys are doing and hope to see it grow more in the future.
    In years gone by, and I do mean YEARS, the total purse was just divided up. Everyone got some money plus bragging rights. Never made the top dogs very happy however. LOL

Bob

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  12. wildbill

wildbill New Member

Sitting on the side lines and waiting for someone to give you what you need/want won't get it done, sometimes you have to work towards a common goal. Some of use just don't have that kind of time left to wait..I've seen more low et's set on a key board than @ the track.

13. smblkbob

smblkbob Member

So True

So true Bill,
    Look forward to running with you guys again at Sunshine sometime.
    We made two races and had a great time.

Bob

14. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

to make a deal work alot better for teams lower the win money pay 800. to qualify and say 2500. to win are 3000. then you will get guys to travel and better cars i would not unload my stuff for 300. a pass thats insane if you do your only hurting your self

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  15. wildbill

wildbill New Member

Thats part of our open forum on our web site,we have all ready talked about a pay out like this: $3500,1000,500,350,250+ contingency 250Win + 100 low ET gift card + 200 Autozone gift cards that we haven't decided were to put that yet.

As long as everyone who plans on competing can agree on it, the track ownership will let us move the money around to make it the way we want the money spread. I can honestly say the management at both BMP and Sunshine treat us well and like every business they too are struggling. I think the intention of the top heavy pay out was to make it look impressive, must of us are just happy to cover some costs and not hurt anything (a good day).

16. Animal1

Animal1 Member

Jim, yes it would be great to get 800.00 to qualify, a 16 car field not gonna happen in this economy or when it was good. Maybe an 8 or 4 car paid to show event. Right now we're just trying to get the ball rolling agian for the little man racer, our goal is to spread the payout and get as many cars out making a show so we can get the payout more for all of us.

Matt

17. smblkbob

smblkbob Member

Payouts etc

Just a suggestion:
    Would take an additional $400 total.

W $2500 + $250 cash card from FAP machine + Autozone $125 gift card
    RU $1000 + $50 Autozone gift card
    Semi $600
    Qt $450
    1 Round $350

$100 low et Bullfrog Performance gift card

No entry for car and up to 4 crew members

Get rid of mandatory 2 runs during qualifying.

Good Guys style break rule in effect. If you break during qualifying, 1st round loser money is yours as long as you're in the field.
    (No hurt cars showing up just to get paid.)
    Alternate gets paid by making it through next round.

18. wildbill

wildbill New Member

We are working on a few things to help with tech cards but in the short term you'll just have to buy a track Bob and we'll bring the cars, your just not going to find a track/bussiness that will give that and be able to promote the show fully. keep in mind we have 10 races and thats alot of money, if we only had a couple a year you could have a chance. Most of us just can't sit still long enough for 2 or 3 events a year.

19. smblkbob

smblkbob Member

Payouts

Wish I could buy one LOL

However, the payout for the following is posted for the Snow Birds.

Top Alcohol $10,000 total $5,000 to win $500 1st round
    Outlaw Pro Mod $10,000 $5,000 to win $500 1st round
    Free car and crew.

Even radial tire gets same as Open Outlaw
    Where's the sense in that?
    I want to see the Pro Mods run a 6.0 before I understand that one.

Plus they are paying in 4 jet cars and a wheel stander which don't come cheap.

I understand that racing for anything might be better than nothing but when some of the Outlaw cars will run quicker than some of the Pro Mods, I just don't get it.

http://www.bradentonmotorsports.com/Events/snowbird/Web Pages/Racer - Snowbird Nationals.htm

Bob

20. wildbill

wildbill New Member

Well you could find arguments for everything but at the end of the day we don't have anyone in this bunch that thinks there going to make money with this hobby.
    Were all just happy to have a place to race, and hell I just talked to Allen (owner) at BMP and OPEN OUTLAW has the keys to the pot ($8900). I think we can make it work,it will be posted on our home page soon. Your only two hours away if you can't/won't bring your car come on down so you can say " DAMMIT WISH I HAD MY CAR HERE", if nothing else support your local track by spectating.