Booher Secures Second JEGS Allstars Berth with Norwalk Win

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by News Editor, May 27, 2016.

1. News Editor

News Editor Administrator

NORWALK, Ohio (May 27, 2016) – Past NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster regional champion Brandon Booher added a race win to his 2016 championship effort as he won the Cavalcade of Stars event at Summit Motorsports Park last weekend. The victory also gave Booher enough points to claim the number one spot to represent the North Central Region in the prestigious JEGS Allstars race in July.

Booher was especially pleased to win the Cavalcade of Stars because he only qualified eighth, barely earning the chance to race on Sunday. Tire shake plagued the AB Construction blown alcohol dragster on all three qualifying attempts, but the versatile driver/tuner found a solution for eliminations that brought him victorious runs of 5.447, 5.447, and 5.413 over Jared Dreher, Ken Perry, and Brandon Greco, respectively.

“I kept trying stuff through qualifying and nothing was working,” Booher stressed. “We’d get back from the run, download the Racepak, and it was as if nothing changed, like I made three carbon copy runs. So I decided I needed to do something drastic and run the car in a manner that I had never done before. That’s what it took. I doubt I’ll use those timing graphs ever again. I put some bars in the chassis that Spitzer had added when the car was built to use if needed to add rigidity to the car. I thought, well, it’s biting too much early and then not biting enough so I’ll stiffen it up and take an educated guess at the timing curve. Did it work? Well, it was more of a trophy-winning Band-Aid. It didn’t run phenomenal, but it ran good enough to win.”

It wasn’t a sweeping performance like the ones that helped Booher earn his first regional championship in 2013, but a dominant performance wasn’t needed to win the race that saw some of the Midwest’s best cars struggle to get down the Norwalk quarter-mile.

“Once we won first round and had lane choice in the second round, I realized I didn’t need to run a 5.32. Should I be able to run a thirty-two? Yes, everyone should be able to. But if you look at the performance, a lot of good cars didn’t make a lot of good runs. My game plan through eliminations was to just go down the track and try to improve. It was good enough to win. It shouldn’t have been. Sometimes you get luckier than the competition,” Booher readily admitted.

The Cavalcade of Stars was the last race for North Central Region teams to lock up their spots in the JEGS Allstars race, which is held in conjunction with the NHRA Route 66 Nationals at Booher’s home track, Route 66 Raceway, in July. The Norwalk win boosted Booher into first place, giving him his second Allstars berth. It’s a high honor for most, but the former Pro Top Outlaws champion won’t let it distract him from his ultimate goal.

“I ran the Allstars once in 2014 and I didn’t do it properly. I treated the Allstars like its own drag race and not what it really is, which is qualifying for a very tough event. I’ll be there and I’ll line up for it, but it’s not the first thing on my mind. My concern is to win the North Central Region again.”

The accomplishment isn’t lost on Booher, though, since his team earned the number one position on the strength of five races. The other three drivers in contention earned JEGS Allstars points at six races.

“If you look at the race count, we’re actually down one race compared to everyone else because we didn’t run Columbus last year. So to win the Allstars spot on one less race than everybody, that’s pretty cool. That’s a real testament to the caliber of car, team and more specifically people that we have in our extremely small-budgeted operation. I don’t think there’s a legal mechanic between any of us, but we’re pretty smart,” said Booher, who missed the Columbus race to be with his wife, Shannon, for the birth of their daughter, Adelynn.

Booher passed on appreciation for his family-based crew, as well as team supporters Manley, MVM wheelie bars, Spitzer Race Cars, and HPL Lubricants.

ABOUT BOOHER RACING
    Booher Racing is a father-son NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster team led by owner/crew chief Aaron Booher and his son, driver/tuner Brandon Booher. The AB Construction team holds the title of quickest and fastest torque converter-equipped vehicle in the world. The 2013 NHRA North Central TAD Regional championship-winning Booher Racing team receives support from MVM Motorsports Products, Spitzer Race Cars, B&J Transmission, Goodson Tools, and Torque MGMT.

Follow Booher Racing on Facebook (www.facebook.com/booherracing), Twitter (www.twitter.com/booherracing), and Instagram (www.instagram.com/booherracing).