Blue printing 44 mag

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by jay70cuda, Dec 21, 2011.

1. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

What are people talking about blue printing a msd 44 mag. They get set out and checked over to see if amperage is ok but what else do they check to blue print? Just a lil confussed

2. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

you blue print a mag just like blue printing a motor. they check amperage measure shafts and bearing clearance and fitment. the good guys load test them on a pressure chamber and at all rpms.

3. texas racer

texas racer New Member

4. aj481x

aj481x Member

and they don't wear out very fast. ;)

5. Andy C

Andy C Member

Msd

Call BR, they have a presure simuator to test your system... Very happy with there work.
    MSD Repair
    BR Motorsports
    Bob Wyman
    2216 E. Mineral King
    Visalia, CA 93292
    559-739-1515

6. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

I had a Mag that had 20 runs on it from new that had the bearings falling out of it and the shaft twisting only making 36 amps on the simulator, Bob fixed it and blue printed it and now it makes 45.

7. turboDrag

turboDrag Member

Sorry if im hijacking the thread,
    But Does anybody know who Re wires the windings inside a 44 Mag with thicker guage material?
    Ive heard of it being done for speedway drivers who are doing alot of laps and getting alot of heat in the mag.It increases the Volts and Amps a little more too! making it a 46 Amp?
    Anybody heard of this or know who does it? A freind of mine is intersted in getting his done.
    Thanks,
    Ben..

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I seriously doubt that any blown alcohol engine with the correct tuneup needs all the power that a ProMag 44 puts out. I don't think it would make any difference to that motor if it had 39 amps or 49 amps going through the coil. I know guys that are using ProMag 20's with great success on blown alcohol motors. I bet it will make a difference on a fuel motor where you have a 1:1 Air Fuel Ratio and that plug electrode is submerged in nitro.

9. turboDrag

turboDrag Member

I have no Doubt what your saying is correct,But the reason for the rewinding was for "speedway use".They do lots of laps and run the mag for alot longer than you would in a drag car.This creates more heat and was causing generator failure? By rewinding it with thicker guage wire they are more reliable and can take more heat?.(Nothing wrong with a 44mag in drag racing use)..Anyway just wondering if anybody knows somebody that rewinds magnetos?.

10. aj481x

aj481x Member

Strictly curiosity, what kind of speedway cars run 44 mags?

11. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

can I have s'more please?

Mike, you couldn't be more wrong on this one. Good mag is like a good blower. A weak mag will definitely not be as fast as a good mag. Been there, done that got the T-shirt.

I will also have to vouch for the service at BR from Bob Wyman! Top notch!

As a side, it just shows you're human. You're normally right when it comes to electktroniks.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  12. craig moss

craig moss Member

Not to be a smart a$$ but from what I have been told you can only light the fire once if 15 amps will do it how would 20 help on a alc deal ?? I can see that more amps would overcome the cylinder psi sooner but then the timing would need to be backed down or am I looking at it all wrong ?? Or is it one of those deals where a 15 amp deal would light it at 10 btdc where a 40 amp would light it at 28 btdc if the timing was set at 28 on both ?? Like I said not trying to be a smart A$$. Just wanting to learn from the best thanks guyz !! Craig

13. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Will, I am not talking about a failed or a maybe super weak mag. I am talking about a fully functioning Mag that is putting out 39 amps vice 44 or 48 amps. Bet you or the motor will never know the difference on a blown alcohol motor. Once you have enough power to light off the fuel then more doesn't do a thing for you. You sure don't need 44 amps to light off the fuel.

An absolute expert on mags just told me that you cannot rewind a ProMag because the windings are royalty encased in a rock hard epoxy.

14. Will Hanna

Staff Member

why don't we run 20's?

more spark burns more fuel makes more power. i have back to backed tested mags and the one that tested higher amps was faster. If NHRA let MSD make bigger mags, I promise you they would be faster than a MSD 44.

I can also promise you that if you went from a low test mag to a high test mag without richening it you better have some spare parts in the trailer because it will melt it!

15. aj481x

aj481x Member

And all this time we thought it was the 8973 blowing them up. :D;)

16. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Once that fire is lite you don't need anymore spark. I would suggest that when they worked on your may they corrected or adjusted another problem which in turn gave you more amps but that wasn't the reason it got faster. Bob does great work

17. texas racer

texas racer New Member

I ASSURE YOU ! they do not go to 45 or 46 amps.... closing the air gap on the magnets is just going to make it "dig into the center section after time..
    think of it as a a/c generator... that produces x amount of voltage ...going into a
    points box that is controlled by f.e.t.s that regulate voltage and current to the
    coil..

so , closing the gap increases amps? dont think so ...the input circuit may vary but the end result is ...we control the amount going out ...PERIOD.

and as far as the "scoop reading" lol....you can "make the 0 line thicker" to get the
    same results.....

18. Will Hanna

Staff Member

sweet

And to think all this time and money we spend getting mags tested is a waste!

If someone wants to send me some busted ass msd 44, 20 or 12 generators, I will now gladly take them on trade for our newer tested stuff.

Now that I just have to lean it to get the fuel mixture right we'll probably go to using half a drum or less of fuel a weekend. Hell I bet we don't have to worry about sticking around for first round either. Can be relaxing in my recliner in time to watch the finals on TV...probably make half the runs in a year now..

As long as that mag has 'fire' we can haul ass...

Thanks for bringing me up to speed...

19. aj481x

aj481x Member

I'm confused :confused:

20. Greg Sereda

Greg Sereda New Member

I am with Will on this one. I guess we have been wasting our money regularly servicing our equipment including our Mag.

Funny thing is my Mag came back tested out producing 45 amps.

Greg