Blue Max, dry hops, and burnouts

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by janjon, Oct 28, 2005.

1. janjon

janjon New Member

Good evening, racers and fans:

I read with considerable interest a recent account in ND about Del Worsham's pass in the restored Blue Max funny car. There was some mention about doing dry hops after the burnout and before the run. I seem to remember that some drivers might even do two hops before staging. I seen to remember that one hop might have been across the starting line, and the next almost to the line in preparation for staging. I'ts been quite a while since the practice was discontinued, I read because the common concensus became that the best launch after the burnout was the NEXT launch after the burnout. I drive a relatively mild roller small-block powered FED with 'glide and 150" wb, constructed about 1965, (while I was still in diapers), and in my current racing efforts I conform to the burnout-backup-stage-launch scenario which I feel is best with current tire technology,(having done a dry hop between burnout and staging with either negative or inconclusive result).
    My question is this: What would have been the "period-correct" starting-line technique and behavior of a car like mine in the days when it was first raced?
    Were burnouts by gas dragsters even DONE then?
    I realize that this topic isn't really within the context of top alcohol tech but I figured that some of you are older than I and were around racing in the time frame I'm talking about, and I'd appreciate any comments and commentary fom any of the old f......arts that were around back then..

Thanks for letting me bend your ear...

john williams
    janjon@ev1.net