Blowers and Fuel Pumps on a BBC

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Paul Vinyard, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Paul Vinyard

Paul Vinyard New Member

Hello all,
    I'm new to this page and it seems like there is a wealth of knowledge and experience. I am wondering if anyone is running a blown alky BBC in the 500 cubic inch area? I am trying to see what the biggest blower I can run is without having to relocate the Mag to the front of the motor. Also what size fuel pumps/ GPM you all are getting away with for that same BBC? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Paul

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  2. TADHemiracer

TADHemiracer Member

Back in the day when I had a BBC, I had a 14 on it with a mag offset drive. As far as a fuel pump, I hear that an Enderle 900 is the right size. I still have the offset drive and like new 44 mag if you are interested in it. I also have some 13.9 pulleys and a new belt.

Paul Vinyard likes this.
  3. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

With a mag or distributor, you can get away with an 8-71 depending on where you place the blower on the manifold and which manifold you use. As with the post above, you can offset the mag to fit but that is probably close to the work of moving to the front depending on your setup. You can get away with a 110 pump on the 8-71 and a 990 or equivalent on a 14-71. That is a baseline as it all depends on how hard you want to drive it. Jeff Folwer at Folwer Engines is a good source for a baseline with your setup if you are just starting out.

TADHemiracer and Paul Vinyard like this.
  4. andy wilfong

andy wilfong Active Member

The biggest you can go without an offset is s 10-71 that we make for just that reason, but with that size motor, I recommend a 14-71

Paul Vinyard likes this.
  5. swsc4133

swsc4133 Member

Hi Paul, where are you located? Looking at your pic you are in Albuquerque?

Paul Vinyard likes this.
  6. swsc4133

swsc4133 Member

Andy, i sent you a message here on ITA.

7. Paul Vinyard

Paul Vinyard New Member

I am trying to get away with not having to buy an offset setup, its a very low dollar operation that I'm running so I'm just doing my research right now and not looking to set any records. But out of curiosity how much might you be looking for the offset with or without the mag?

Also do you know how much fuel did you flow with that Enderle 900? My current pump will push 6 GPM but I'm naturally aspirated at the moment and I don't think that will work for a blown setup. My guess was I need something that will move 10 GPM or more.

8. Paul Vinyard

Paul Vinyard New Member

I was hoping to run around a 10-71 so would I need something between the 110 and 990 like the 760?

9. Paul Vinyard

Paul Vinyard New Member

I'm only looking to run low 7's maybe high 6's, my altitude is what kills me. We are at 5500ft and the DA the other weekend was around 9200ft. I would love a 14-71 but think that would be too much blower for the rest of the motor. As much as I want to go faster I don't have the money to have top of the line bottom end so trying to find a combo that will be faster but still safe on the motor.

10. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

How much boost do you plan on running?

Paul Vinyard likes this.
  11. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

I'd run the 990 to give you some room to go bigger. Not that much more of an investment and you just need to run a pump seizer to give the flow you need. The seizer will drop the overall system pressure some but that is not that big of a deal. You can adjust with nozzle size to get where you need to go.

Paul Vinyard likes this.
  12. Bjs344

Bjs344 Member

If you don't already have the mag, stick with a distributor. Msd crank trigger distributor with crab cap will let you run any blower you want. A 7al2 or similar and an HVC2 coil will light off a BBC deep into the 6s.

Enderle 110 should be plenty for what you're doing at around 11 gpm. Enderle 990 would be overkill at ~15.

Don't be afraid of running a 14-71 underdriven. My first blower pass was a 4.50 at 12 under with a less than optimal long block. That same combo ended up going 4.09 with very little work (although it did eventually expire).

Paul Vinyard likes this.
  13. RLPRACING

RLPRACING Member

I agree, use a crab cap distributor. We have 532 Big Chief with Indy intake and a set back 14-71 over top of the distributor. However we are using a MSD 10 and a 1100 fuel pump yielding a best of 3.84@187. So a MSD 7 and the 110 pump will work for you. Let me know if you want a pic of ours.

Paul Vinyard likes this.
  14. Paul Vinyard

Paul Vinyard New Member

Not totally sure, still learning blower setups. Nothing too crazy but that will help compensate for the altitude.

15. Paul Vinyard

Paul Vinyard New Member

I already have the mag, got a great deal on it a while back. But I am liking the idea of and 14-71. Talking with another racer on this forum that runs the class I'm hoping to run it seems like something very doable.

16. Paul Vinyard

Paul Vinyard New Member

Any pictures you have would be awesome. The more setups I see the more I learn about all this and how to eventually get my setup working.

17. TAFC 5 81

TAFC 5 81 Member

A 500" BBC (10.5 -1 or 11-1 compression) with just an 8-71 (up to 40% OD) and 110 pump should run 7.0s at 190 (4.5 at 150+) safely. Cubic inches should help in the thin air.

Paul Vinyard likes this.