Blower Idler

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Bjs344, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Bjs344

Bjs344 Member

I’ve only ever had one blower idler my whole life and I bought it out of the trunk of a Honda in a Walmart parking lot.

putting together another setup and I see a bunch of different diameters. I guess the smaller ones might be harder on the belt?

also I’m thinking about using a blower mounted (not snout) idler bracket instead of block mount. Any downsides?

2. MaggiFinn

MaggiFinn New Member

Its always a combination of parts. The influence of idler diameter and mass is minuscule to performance, but it can make the difference between being able to run the gearing with your belt size or not.
    The idler can be flat, raised center or ribbed like a pulley, and all have their pro's and cons
    I like the idler halfway between the pulleys, cutting the unsupported length of belt in half, also that way you have the least amount of degrees tangent of the belt coming off or going into the pulleys.

3. Bjs344

Bjs344 Member

I just realized the pulley I got is 3” wide. Is that ok for a 3” belt?? Kinda pinches it slightly. My other one is 3.25” for a 3” belt

4. Ray Hadford

Ray Hadford Member

My setup is as follows:

-Idler is 3.080 between flanges
    -Belt is 1360-8 mm 2.970 total width.

My belt tends to move toward the inboard flange...

The system originally came from BDS....... Blower Drive Service

Hope that helps

5. Bjs344

Bjs344 Member

Idler is actually 3.1 at the od of the flanges. The flanges taper slightly but still just over 3” where they meet the pulley. Belt is 75mm. It fits fine with the idler lined up. Seemed like it was pinching the belt but that’s because I didn’t have it spaced out far enough yet.
    Thanks for the feedback, I think I’m good now.