Billet and or Blueprinted oil pumps????

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by funnycarguy 230, Jul 18, 2005.

1. funnycarguy 230

I Looking at oil pumps for my Engine I have run melling pumps for years with no problems I see guys running Blueprinted pumps and also Billet Pumps I know that Billet is stronger than a cast pump but are they any advantages to Blueprinted pumps other than the clearances how about the Billet? If it pumps and has no problems and the pressure is what you want is there a need for the extra expense? I run a Rodeck Chevy Block Just trying to get a little info on this Thanks to all Jamie

[ July 20, 2005, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: funnycarguy 230 ]

2. Frank Intini

Frank Intini Jr. Dragster

Hi Jamie,
    we race a Rodeck/Brodix SBC in a TAD and we use a billet aluminium pump. I found it to be very reliable and any new similar combo's i do for customers i use this style pump, with the reduced weight comes less tendancy for the pump to snap at the mounting position due to tyre shake/vibration etc as ive seen several cast iron pumps do. Am currently assembling a blown BBC for a ski boat (6000 rpm Max) and am using a Moroso blueprinted pump and yes its all clearanced etc but it has added features such as anti cavitation slots and the cover is dowelled to the body and the shafts inside the gears locate into the cover and therefore in operation the gears are held in place allowing for more consistant oil delivery. But for racing i'd use the billet pump....set and forget. Ive used mine since 1998 (same Pump) and have been happy with the consistency and reliability to date
    Hope this helps
    Frank

3. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

WE RUN THE MELLING PUMPS, BLOWN ALKY CLOSE TO 2000 HP,CHEVY BASED ENGINE.ALSO IN SOME OFFSHORE BOAT STUFF 1200 HP PUMP GAS ENDURANCE DEALS. NO PROBLEMS. VERY INEXPENSIVE TOO.