Better read this one - NEW NITRO REGULATIONS

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

I'm going to try to get more of the specifics, but all nitro teams attended a meeting yesterday at Pomona regarding new regulations on handling nitromethane.

Drums size is reduced to 42 gallons
    No team/entity can posess more than 400 lbs at any given time
    Drums will be bar coded. You will have to turn one in to VP to get a new one.
    No more than 5 gallons of nitro can be transported by a team. All left over nitro at the end of the weekend must be returned to VP.
    There will be some serious paperwork to be an approved nitro buyer.

Here's the best part. ANY VIOLATION OF ABOVE REGULATIONS WILL RESULT IN $25,000 PER DAY FINE FOR NON COMPLIANCE.

This raises some serious questions for A/F teams. I'm going to try to get some answers at the track today. What happens at divisionals? Testing?

The new policy is supposed to take effect in Gainesville.

2. Schaun

Schaun SuperComp

Atf

Will,

You guys can thank the ATF for that.... or the terrorist who found other uses for it besides as a fuel. Hopefully this is as far as the ATF take it!:mad:

3. nitroclovers

nitroclovers New Member

As was brought up by some others, what about pro match racing let alone A/F? or here in the Chicago area, there is a group that run nostalgia A/Fers? I'd give my ss# to be able to carry a 1/2 drum.
    Lee
    Nitroclovers

4. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Thanks but no thanks

When was the last time a fuel racer blew up anything!!!!!
    I can understand requiring proff that you are using nitro for racing purposes but as always the regulations are an overkill. This is just about the last straw for me. Now they will jack the price up 40%. Not because of an increase in the supply cost but because there is an opportunity to get deeper into the fuel racers pocket. As far as transporting nitro in your trailer it is way more dangerous to have a 5 gallon can of gas!! Before it is over with they will be using sniffers to check your fuel and gas tanks to be sure they have no fuel or gas in the tank before you will be allowed on the grounds, Then you will be only allowed enough fuel to make one full run at a time. This is where its headed. I think I have just about had enough.
    Bob Holley

5. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

All the Afuel cars can easily switch back to Blown Alky and this problem will go away...

6. dave hirata

dave hirata Member

re: switch

ive already bought a roots blower. that way i can bitch about the rules.

7. Dean Adams

I think you’ve sewn up the "Most Classless" post of the year Dan. Now if only you would go away . . .

8. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Good idea! Whenever parity is brought up, haven't some of the AFD "people" mentioned that the BADs should just convert to AFD?

9. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Good one! TAD was at its' best during the high helix days. The Whipple/PSI and AFD ruined a great thing.

10. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

A little strong for someone from a layed-back town like FV? Great place! What did Dan say that was different than what some AFD people say about the parity issue?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  11. Dean Adams

First of all, not all of us that run nitro are in TAD, but we will have to deal with the fallout of these new requirements and additional costs just the same. As for TAD - like it or not - AFD was able to establish itself in the class based on performance. It wasn’t forced on the racers because Methonal was made too difficult or expensive to use by a US government agency’s BS ruling.

12. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

Will this make the two options similar in cost now?

If it does, maybe it really isn't a big deal.

Or maybe some will switch back...

13. Hokes Racing

Hokes Racing Moderator

What they have to be looking at is the bigger picture with all the Nitro that would be in trailers at home there is a bigger chance of someone breaking in and stealing 40 to 50 gal. with just having 5 gal they would have to break in to a lot of trailers. I know this sucks but how would any of you feel if someone broke in to your trailer and blew up a builting and killed people

Lanny

14. eli

eli Banned

Here-Here ;)

15. konrodz

konrodz Member

Maybe this will answer your question on why they are doing this.
    During the meeting a representative of VP reportedly admitted that he was the one who sold Oklahoma City Bomber Timothy McVeigh the three drums of nitro that were used to enhance the explosion that took down the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building, killing 168 and injuring over 800. McVeigh was later tried, convicted and executed for the crime. Ironically, fuel supplier Steve LeSeur was reportedly approached by McVeigh at the same event, but refused to sell to him because he didn’t like the way McVeigh answered LeSeur’s questions as to his planned use of the fuel. LeSeur reported the incident to the FBI and later provided sworn testimony as to what had taken place.

16. eli

eli Banned

So now you got to wonder why it took them so long to do something about it, that took place in 1995, talk about procrastination, if it was going to happen in the racing comunity it would have happend already.

17. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

update

looks like the transportation side of it isn't as bad as initially reported. I'm going to try to get my hands on some documentation.

18. eli

eli Banned

What about the fertilizer, they going to restrict that too??? or do they only pick on racers, ya need both to make a bomb.:rolleyes:

19. bud7291

bud7291 New Member

Gene, they are restricting the amount of fertilizer. In fact, if you don't clean after your dogs in your backyard at least once every week and an inspector comes to check on your lawn you could be fined $25,000.00 for hoarding hazardous materials. :rolleyes:

But seriously, this isn't even a band-aid... This is just a damp piece of cloth to go over our eyes... A drum of nitro costs a lot of money... If someone just "lost" a drum don't you think it would be noticed?

CJ Curtsinger

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  20. eli

eli Banned

So I guess all the guys that fly model airplanes are going to have to park them, and try to make out with the stewardess's. :D:D