Best way to adjust valves??????

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Perry J. Krinitt, May 27, 2008.

1. Perry J. Krinitt

Perry J. Krinitt New Member

Took the motor up to get dynoed and the man running the dyno said that we should be able to adjust the valves in 7 or so minutes. This is all new to me and I just took my time to double check myself. What are most people doing that I am not? Thank PJK

2. JT Heslink

JT Heslink New Member

After the motor has heat in it and the valve covers are off I start with #1 at top dead center and go through the firing order at top dead center to ensure it is the most accurate I can get. I hardly ever have to adjust them. Takes about 15 minutes total to including pulling the covers and reinstalling them by myself.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
    nitrowannabe likes this.
  3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Perry, racers have different tricks depending on the type motor;). Is this a hemi, a BBC or what?

4. vwsamba

vwsamba Member

the quickest easiest way is probably the way i was shown.turn the motor by hand and every time a valve comes up stop and check it it.no firing order or marks need to be checked on pulley and you can do one side of the motor at a time....

5. mark6052

mark6052 Member

I found on some engines there is a difference of 2-4thousandths when you do TDC instead of the exht when intake closes, etc. small diff but just so you know. I do the tdc because its quick for me. I just know how much to adjust for optimum lash.

6. TAF 316

TAF 316 Member

1-3-5-7 2-8-4-6 right down the line use a push rod inserted thru sparkplug hole to determine piston TDC

7. Jordan Pawlick

the quickest way that i have found is what ever valve is up at the time, top dead center way of doing it like this is may be .001 .003 diffrence not a really big deal but every one has got there own way of doing things it takes me about 12 min to pull valve covers off inspect do a valve lash check quick cyclender leak test and a lube of the rockers and put the covers back on thats after 7 years of doing it thou

8. chuck weck

chuck weck Member

marks at 90 degrees on timing ring

tdc each cylinder and run thru firing order

other way too confusing for me

9. Perry J. Krinitt

Mike, it's a blown hemi.

10. td314b

td314b New Member

Valves

We turn motor over till intake valve is just starting to close..then check exhaust...then turn over some more till exhaust is just starting to open...then check Intake. 1-3-5-7 go to other side 2-4-6-8...Easy as pie and it doesn't take long at all.

Troy

11. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

over the years adjusting them every way you can i find it easier like above using a pushrod to find tdc start with 1 then down the line 3-5-7 you will only go maybe a half a turn it will go quick then 2-4-6-8- but on 8 you will turn the motor over twice to get 8 up to tdc i can never seem to remember how the saying goes about the valves opening and closing then adjusting one are the other tdc is the best for me and fast everyone has there own ways its what works best for you good luck

12. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Thanks, Chuck's way of marking the degree wheel every 90* works. I use and old pushrod down the plug hole and I use the firing order. At TDC a few degrees either side doesn't make much difference. You are going to also have to find out what is the correct lash on a cold motor is so if you have had it apart then you can set them cold to start the motor. On the Ford Hemi I set the exhaust at .014 cold and the Intake at .017 cold and .025 hot. I am pretty sure a BAE hemi motor is .015/.015 cold. After you get them set accuratly hot then check them cold and remember that lash. If you warm the motor up in the pits then let it heat soak for about 10 minutes before you set them. I find the lash for a motor that has been warmed up in the pits to be different from the lash right after a run. The lash setting after the run is the most accurate.

13. JT Heslink

JT Heslink New Member

Mike is 120 percent right. After the run is the most accurate. With the BAE block I am setting them cold at .013 compared to .016 with the KB block. Great point Mike.

14. Perry J. Krinitt

The motor is a KB stage 10 block with AJ heads off of a nitro dragster. AJ set the heads up for alcohol and just plugged one of the spark plug holes. Engle cam that says to set valves at .020 in. and .022 ex. Dyno guy said to not worry about the .002 differance and just set valves at .020 after the motor was up to temp. Thanks for all the replies this is my first motor I've built not counting helicopter turbine engines but then again at least with thoughs you've got a manual to go by. PJK

15. bill

bill Member

how come nobody starts at #1 tdc and adjust intake and exh and turn motor 45 deg with firing order and adjust intake and exh again

16. eli

eli Banned

I do it that way , but it's 90 deg. 90 x 4 =360;)

17. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

XO Ice

I have to give Stacy McLemore credit for this 'acronym' to valve lash...

XO ICE

eXaust Open set Intake
    Intake Close set Exaust

I personally think this is the most accurate way to set the valves, bc you're always at the correct spot on the cam to set lash. Not to mention this is much quicker. I just turn the motor over until the I get about two 'pumps' on as the exaust opens and set the intake. I do that 4 times on one side, then turn it over and get two 'pumps' into the intake closing, then set the exaust 4 times, then go to the other side. You should have this done by the time the bottom end guy has the pan off and is ready to start running the rods.

I've also done the TDC on the degree wheel method. They both work. When I compare them, the XO Ice method seems to be a little tighter than the TDC method.

18. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

19. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

My advice, pick a system that puts the lifter on the base circle of the cam.(the opposite side of the lobe)
    I use the system that Will is refering to( "XO").
    The key is repeatablility.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  20. bill

bill Member

i meant 90 degree stuiped me