Best powerglide

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by skauto, Jan 5, 2013.

1. skauto

skauto Member

Sorry if this question has been asked to death, but what is the opinions out there for the best powerglide for blown alcohol around 2500hp, 3000 lbs door car? I feel from what i have read Rossler is the tops but also very unique in the fact they may be hard to service or find a part for in a hurry. any thoughts on ATI Superglides? or Mikes Ultimate powerglide. etc...
    any thoughts and opinions other than switching to a lenco are appreciated.
    Also would like something not to far from the west coast for servicing/support or parts
    Thanks
    Simon

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  2. Mac

Mac Member

Mike Monster glide have a good reputation. I run the Coan XST superglide and Ive had a few problems. A buddy of mine has the ATI behind a Brad hemi and it's been good but he doesn't have many passes on it yet.

3. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

Call Cameron at Torque Convertor Services in Columbia SC. I run his transmission ( with a small shaft ) and have had really good results. He cherry picks the best parts from whatever maker and assembles them in his transmission. The transmission in my car is the world record holder at 3.692 sec in the 1/8 mile. You have to stay up on your maintance but that's normal.

4. paint guy

paint guy Member

glide

if you want to put a trans in and forget about,don't put a glide in.after the money you will spend on it and the parts you will tear up you will be way ahead by using a bruno lenco or lencodrive.you can get a used one at decent prices now and you don't have to worry about breaking it.i've been there and did it,after switching to something thats made to handle that power its almost maintance free, they do weigh more,but you'll save alot of money and headaches in the long run. good luck

5. jody stroud

For the money, weight and cool running temps it,s hard to beat a glide. The cars I race against all run lencodrives or Bruno lencodrives and I can say for a fact that my trans is every bit as durable as theirs have been. They all have weakness,es , but don,t be afraid to try a glide. Just make sure you get one from someone that builds and races them with blown cars with a lot of horsepower so that they will understand your needs. At this level an off the shelf trans is not going to cut it.

6. skauto

skauto Member

I am running a glide now that has alot of good parts and has handled the 1600hp we put to it with out an issue, I am going to stay with a powerglide,and i will keep the one i have now for back up just want some thoughts on a brand name one i guess that works well and is easy and fast for service and parts(if custom)
    Thanks
    Simon

7. vanLeersumRacing

vanLeersumRacing New Member

meantenance

We just started with a powerglide on our blown 1600 HP door car (2700 Lbs).
    Powerglide came from Mikes transmissions with a JW case.

How often is does the power glide need a compleet tune up?

We change every race weekend the transmission oil.
    We also use mike transmission oil fluid.

How many runs can we make on it?

What is your experience?

Tony

8. GTPerf

GTPerf Member

If your car is 3000lb and your engine does make 2500hp I havent seen anyones glide that will live. I know Jody's car is fast ok very fast and makes HP but what does it weigh not 3000lb, buy a bruno or lencodrive and don't look back.

9. badbird

badbird New Member

the only auto id trust for big power and relativly heavy weight is the rossler th210 or turboglide if you want a two speed,

10. jody stroud

You are right..... it only weighs appox 2100 lbs. But I know Cameron has built several for 2600 lbs pro mod cars that have performed well. The question was not what is stronger, a Lenco type (if you don't count reverse) is alot stronger than a powerglide and heavier. I can't switch to a lencodrive even if I wanted to, my car is to short in the rear. So I basically have to run a glide and have made them work for me.

11. skauto

skauto Member

Right now my car weighs 2650 with driver and i could realistically see 2000hp this season, i am also thinking about a 10.5 tire which means i have to be close to 3000lbs so my numbers are based on the high side of power and weight to leave room for changes in the future. wanting a trans that can handle more than i have now but will handle where i am going with it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  12. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

I have been down this road...the other "advantage of a Bruno/Lenco is the ability to change gear ratios...quickly.....can't do that w/a conventional Power glide....most are offered in 1.80 or 1.69...have seen some 1.64 lows too.....IMO...1.80 is too "aggressive" for most light, blown alky cars

13. Vhodoo Racing

Vhodoo Racing New Member

From my Glide experience I would if money was not an issue have two identical, really good transmissions and swap them out meeting to meeting and service the one out of the car. This is based on what we are seeing with engines 1800-2000 Hp on heavy cars, mine is 2700lbs . My buddy runs a Funny Car (heavy for a funny car about 24-2500lbs I think) in a class where he has no choice but to run an OE planetary style trans and he has just resigned himself to the fact that the trans is an item that need plenty of care and attention. A Rossler 210 did not live in this car at all. I have seen it written before that you could buy two really good Glides and run a program like this and still have change from a Bruno or Lenco and the converter drive. I do agree on the ratio choices comment but you learn to make what you have work... Pete

14. vanLeersumRacing

vanLeersumRacing New Member

Powerglide

I now that there are several racers with 1600 hp that are using a powerglide.

We don't race with 2500HP, we have 1600HP and 2700Lbs race ready with driver.

15. GTPerf

GTPerf Member

we do race with 2200 to 2500 HP at 2600 to 2800 lb, and my thought is why buy 2 good glides ( unless your rules make you run it) that is more than the bruno , they will brake when you least need it to like in the final round, and you have to be in the trans every race and the bruno will not let you down so you can be working on other things not the trans all the time. I think that if you add up everything for 2 years the bruno will be cheaper than a glide IF your at 2500hp and 3000 lb