Best Convertor drive ?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by jody stroud, Apr 11, 2014.

1. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

Bruno drive , Lenco drive or B and J Convertor drive. Which is the best / coolest running / most reliable ? May replace my glide.

2. Mac

Mac Member

I was talking to Les Davenport on this and he runs a Lencodrive in his personal A-fuel car and recommended one and highly recommended the B&J drive. If your thinking Bruno call Rod @Specrite Converters...he runs one in his 5 second screw blown pro mod with great success.

3. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

Id go with the 9000$ turbo 400 deal. Every turbo car runs one and they make more hp than most blown cars. Your even starting to see a few blower guys run em. A 5 sec promod I race with ran one all year never once a single problem. The secret is it has to be built overkill. And the weight is also a huge bonus.

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Jody we just switched to a Bruno drive in the Dodge Daytona with a Chance convertor coupled to a Lenco CS-2. Our Outlaw Promod has a Bruno with a Lenco CS-1 and a Spec Rite convertor. Here is what I know and feel free to correct me if I am wrong. The Quick Drive or B&J drive I believe will only work with a B&J transmission. A Lencodrive will only work with a CS-2 and the Bruno will work with both the CS-1 and the CS-2. So far we have had great success with the Bruno drives they seem to be very reliable with the extended pans on them. I am sure we would have the same reliability with the other drives if we had used them. You have to follow set procedures with these drives on operating the transbrake and cooling the fluid. A lot depends on what transmission you can get so you need to plan that out. You are also going to have to get a new bellhousing. WEe have the Bonifanti housing in the Daytona and the Browell can in the Viper and they are both great. Jody you have my number if you want to talk more.

5. TOL

TOL Active Member

Roughly, what is the weight difference and length difference bewtween a T400 and a 3-speed Bruno/CS2 ? How are the gear ratio selections for the T400 these days? Other than length and weight, are there any other benefits to a T400 versus a Bruno/CS2?

6. Soldierboy0098

Soldierboy0098 Active Member

Quick drive

Hi Mike, The quick drive will actually work with both the B&J and the Lenco/ It has a dual pattern on it. I can also tell you that you won't have trans brake creep that can occur with the lencodrive as the quickdrive has its own clutch pack just for the brake. The quick drive is closer to the Bruno unit than the Lenco drive as it is a separate unit from the trans. I would talk to Tony Eben who makes the quick drive or Mike Strasberg at B&J, both are great guys. The quick drive is finding its way to more and more cars in all classes but the lenco drive is more common having been around longer and is easier to find used parts for. If you get the Quick drive you want the 1 3/16" input shaft, the 1 1/4" has oil flow problems and they will both tell you that. The 1 1/4" Lenco drive/Bruno convertors will not fit the 1 1/4" shaft anyway, there is a length difference. On converters I would get with Marty Chance as he is very familiar with it and many reputable companies have goofed on these since Tony uses a mix of parts from different trans designs and some custom parts to make one bad boy converter drive. Use the Dex 6 that any autozone carries for the B&J trans and you can use it for the converter it works well, but if you really want the best put the L&T converter fluid in the quick drive unit, that stuff is expensive but awesome and deadly consistent...ask Mike Jannis...

Tony Eben (Can't remember which is shop or cell, he'll answer both)
    303-521-8750
    303-783-1290

Mike Strasberg at B&J
    866-781-1064

I love mine and if you want I'll bring it to Mike's shop in the next two weeks when I come to get the blower after the dyno.

Trev

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  7. blown375

blown375 New Member

I do believe the fastest converter driven car out there is Brandon Booher and he runs a lencodrive !
    Personally , I like my lencodrive , it has had a minimum amount of problems !
    Also , Frankie Taylor just ran 3.48 in a door car and I'm pretty sure he runs a lencodrive ;-)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

We don't get transbrake creep with our Bruno. I would believe that if you did then it is time to change the band. I have heard that using the wrong fluid can cause creep but since we have not had it I can't verify that.

9. mike wharram

mike wharram New Member

Jody, have you had issues with your glide ? Your car runs great

10. jody stroud

Well..... I know I broke my spare trans , it was a good glide but not great. I put it in because my primary trans seemed like it was hurt after the first round of the quick four on sat night at the rock PDRA race. I'm having it checked out Monday .... If it's hurt really bad ( couple of grand worth of repairs) I'll probably ditch it and go to a Lenco drive etc. love the simplicity of a glide but if I can't count on it to make it through some tire shake and a pedal job, then I may have to switch. Now that Sipple has back-halved my car I have room to use whatever the best trans is. Before , the way Spitzer had built the car, I had to run a short glide because nothing else would fit. Now with 32.5 in between the mid- plate and the coupler on the rear end that's not a problem anymore.

11. mike wharram

mike wharram New Member

Good luck with whatever drive you pick ! It looked like Brandon must of hurt his today , that sucks

12. jody stroud

After much debate and thought ...... I went with a quick drive and b and j trans. Mainly just really impressed with Tony and Mike. I'm sure a Lenco drive and a Bruno Lenco are good pieces and I have friends that run each with a lot of success but..... Some people like their cucumbers pickled. I'll try to post up my review of the trans and drive and how well it worked in my application. Thanks to all who responded.

13. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

Good Choice...............happy racing.

Blessings............Ron Clevenger............Creekside Racing ministry............John 14:6

14. blown375

blown375 New Member

Good luck with it Jody but one thing you should have considered is ....
    Do you race with anybody that runs one ? If not and you break it , your S.0.l finding spare parts in the pits , so just like your glide ..... Carry a spare !

15. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

A more accurate statement here would have been "Good luck breaking your B&J"

16. jody stroud

Keeping one glide just in case, although from what I've heard I don't think I'll ever need it. Was able to change shifter and all other parts in such a way that I'll be able to swap back fairly easily, even at the track.

17. Soldierboy0098

Trans

Hey Jody,

Seeing as how Uncle Sam just denied my disability and made sure I'll continue to be broke for another two years, I have my quick drive here and also my B&J tripple sprag with a lot of spare parts for it. If you ever need anything let me know, Also I know have an entire parts car available for a while.

I know a certain Top Fuel Funny Car driver who used to run the B&J in TAFC and if they couldn't break it then I'm not sure if anyone can....lol

Jody, As long as everything is setup right you will not be disappointed. The only complaint I have is that I can't fit the 3 spd with it in my dragster shy of moving the engine to 47" out, which I suspect is why the lencodrive 3 spd is preferred over the bruno and quickdrive in 3 spd dragster apps, also why I just made mine a 2 spd... Alright Tony, this thing is like a cell phone, you made a great one...now start making them smaller and don't stop until they can fit in a little holster on my belt...lol

Trev

18. blown375

blown375 New Member

Here's what I know about transmissions ......
    NOBODY makes one that's unbreakable !
    And if the breakage is driver inflicted , it's still broken !

19. Soldierboy0098

True

This is True, the reverser was actually the part he was talking about when he told me that, they are actually using it in monster trucks now but I did mean it as a joke...lol

If you have enough talent and/or bad luck you can break anything in this business. Its funny in that you can fly off the end of the track going 200+mph and roll 3 times and have no parts damage outside of the body but then out of nowhere something so stupid breaks on a normal run.

I just made it a point to make everything in the car as close to bulletproof as I could get, then when something breaks I can safely say it wasn't because I chose a poor part.

The Lenco is a great transmission and by no means am I mocking it.

Best wishes,
    Trev