Best 8-71 blower

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by youngone, Feb 9, 2011.

1. youngone

youngone New Member

I was wondering what you felt is the best 8-71 blower. DMPE, PSI, SSI, Kobelco Superman (which isn't made anymore), anyothers?

2. underby6

underby6 Active Member

We ran a PSI with ERD/PSI mods to it, made around 40psi in a BAE setup. Before we had the PSI we had an SSI, good blower just didn't make as much steam. I've never ran an M5 or M4 8-71, Darren makes very nice stuff though so I'm sure it's a tossup between the PSI and M(4/5). On both the DMPE and PSI you can get a billet case, good idea if you can swing the $.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

3. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

If your PSI setup made 2200 HP how much less do you think the SSI made?

Or another way to look at it, how much more fuel (% or GPM wise) was needed for the PSI?

4. underby6

underby6 Active Member

We didn't have a flow meter on the car during those years. I can tell you we went about a tenth and a half quicker with the PSI vs. the SSI. We were the first T/D to run a 5 second pass in 2007 with the PSI setup. When we did the mods, in the interest of fair reporting, we didn't pick up much at all...just a bigger bill. It obviously helps at lower overdrive, but we were unlimited and spinning the blower 46%.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

5. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

What kind of times and how much did the car weigh?

6. underby6

underby6 Active Member

The first "5" was a 5.99 @ 228. We had a BAE5 with PSI 8-71HH, Lencodrive 3 spd. and a Coan Converter. The car/driver was right at 2100 lbs.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

When PSI first came out with their Roots blowers there was not an M4 or M4 out there and the PSI was fairly good because it kept the outlet air temp way down. Today the best off the shelf blower with all the mods at the best price is the DMPE M4 and the M5.

8. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Likely very true, it has been several years since we have ran a roots setup. Darren is great to deal with and can answer all your questions, give him a call.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

9. WIZBANG

WIZBANG Member

Can these be had in the 8-71 size ?

10. blown375

blown375 New Member

M5 ??? If you don't mind restriping often and replacing cracked cases !

The subject is 8-71s and I don't believe the M5 is offered in an 8-71 version.
    I ran in the Protopoutlaw circut when the rules only allowed 8-71s with Brandon Booher and the baddest cars in the group were Brandon and Phil Esz and both had 8-71PSIs
    We had one guy in the group that had his 8-71 superman modified as a M4 and he had nothing but problems with it.
    Back then I ran a Fowler modified K11 8-71 superman and it ran very well but...the PSIs still made more boost.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Well I don't no where you get your data from on the M5. The only cracked case I have ever heard about is from a serious backfire into the blower. We don't have to retripe them any more often that any other blower. How many runs you get out of the stripes depends on how much gel you use and how dedicated you are.

12. ITS IN MY BLOOD

Mike,....not to butt in but,..Do you get more runs using more lube gel, or are you saying you will restrip the blower more often using to much Lube Gel,...????

what is the lube interval you recommend,..after every run,... once the alky and moisture is gone,....or after each weekend...????

Vic

13. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I like a little before or after each run. I have seen people use it once a dat also. I am saying you will wear the stripes less using the gel and will make a little more boost because it seals better and theoretically runs cooler but I have never proved that part. Don't get carried away and spray too much. it doesn't take much to coat it and lubricate it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  14. blown375

blown375 New Member

Mike. I know a guy who uses an M5 and his crew chief told me that they have cracked 3 cases so far .... no backfires involved and he is not the only one that has told me of similar issues.
    I suppose that Kobelco never had a problem with cracking rotors either ?
    If you want to bow to DMPE thats up to you but I am not impressed with a lot of things that I have seen from there.
    Don't get me wrong , they have made some nice stuff but they have also had more than their share of problems as well and I think using your customers as guinea pigs and charging them premium prices to test your theories is wrong.

Youngone , from a guy that raced in a 8-71 class I would say that the PSI 8-71 was the best but the PSI ,SSI and Kobelco Superman are all very competitive and all 3 have pros and cons.

15. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

So which car is this that is cracking cases. Since I have one on a car I would be interested in the whole story. You can PM me if you don't want to put it out here. Can't understand the relationship bewteen the Kobelco rotor problem and the M5.

16. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

I had to practically GIVE my M5 away as it had so many cracks! Not gonna say anymore!

17. blown375

blown375 New Member

The relationship is... there was a problem with the rotors and how many customers had to eat the expense of those defects as well ?