BEAD LOCK TIRE PRESSURE

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by BLOWN INCOME, Jul 28, 2005.

1. BLOWN INCOME

I'M FROM THE OLD OLD SCHOOL!MORE PRESSURE MORE TIRE SPIN(TO A POINT)..SOME RACERS ARE TRYING TO TELL ME JUST THE OPPOSITE ON BEAD LOCKS..I GUESS I'M TO OLD TO EVEN TRY IT.CARRING THE FRONT WHEELS PAST THE OR TO 1/8 MILE WITH LENCO DRIVE F/C OR ALTERED.NEED SOME READING,WAITING FOR YOUR INPUT...NOT SAYING MY 40 YEARS OF RACING, HARD HEAD WILL CHANGE. THANKS

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

its been my experience, and have been told by people way smarter than me, that more tire pressure does equal more traction. i was always taught growing up just the opposite (my dad's old school). a couple things happen with lower tire pressures. one, you don't put down as much of the middle of the tire, you tend to cup the tire rather than put a full contact patch down. two, ol mr newton says for every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction so, the more you wad that sidewall up, the more 'spring' effect it will have when it uncoils. this can also lead to tire spin and start a cycle with beadlocks that will lead to intense shake.

if you must run beadlocks, i would highly recommend the m/t tires. they have a stiffer sidewall, and don't hook quite as hard as the hoosiers. the beadlocks hook harder than liner tires. the m/t's might let your tires slip just a little bit, and might be the difference b/t wheelstanding and not.

just my .02. i'm from the middle school :eek: :cool:

3. Leon

Leon New Member

Will is correct. If you are blown and need wheel speed,drop the pressure.

4. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

When we started running beadlocks I was told that the tire pressure deal is like you would think normally (press. up, more spin, press down, more bite) UNLESS you're running M/T's. Seemed to me like it worked, so if we wanted the M/T's to hook harder put more pressure in them. The M/T tires seem to be built a little different in that they don't have the usual hump in the middle, they actually look kind of concave- so when you put more pressure in the tire you actually ARE making more tire contact the surface.

Just my .02 cents, it works for me!