BBC/glide/ screw blower vs roots set up?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by DISCODEAN, Dec 31, 2007.

1. DISCODEAN

DISCODEAN Member

Has anyone ran a combination of a bbc,powerglide,with a screw blower? I run with the Pro Top Outlaws ,I usually qualify with the bandits,I run 4.18 to 4.24 everywhere I go. Very dependable set up only 40 over with a 8-71 kobelco k9 rotors ,548 chevy alanjohnson sheet intake, I dont have buku bucks! I run it like a bracket car!! I have over 150 passes on this motor combination with STEEL RODS!!! change the bearings every 30 to 40 passes on rods, end of year mag crank,rods, new rings and bearings away i go again!! I am looking to pick up some et and not be much harder on parts.If I went to a screw blower same overdrive how much would I gain? I know the efficency is alot better and it takes less hp to run it, how much et am i really looking at ? any input would be great ! I know i will b able to run less overdrive and get the same boost if not more , from goin to screw from 8-71 . thanx discodean

2. DQUES

DQUES Member

Dean , you might want to double check the rules section on the PTO site , I don't see any of the dragsters being allowed to run a screw blower if I am reading the rules correctly . A cast head big block is allowed to run a Hi Helix 14-71 but it cannot be a superman style with set back rotors . If in doubt give Phil Esz a call , he is in charge of running the PTO's now .

3. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

i think i read in there rules the other night as long as it had a power glide you could run the screw blower

4. DISCODEAN

DISCODEAN Member

mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

It dosent say you can't run a screw blower.... in fact it doesn't mention anything about a screw blower in the dragster class!!! let me find the loop holes to go a lil quicker ok!! ha ha !! disco biscuit!!!

5. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Instead of spending the $10 - $12k on a blower that we both know isn't allowed..... Put an aluminum block, R&R rods, and a good 14-71 on it and you'll be good to go. Might even consider a Lencodrive; we ran the glide under high hp motors, hard to keep planetary gears in them.

Brandon

6. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

it says in pto rules that you can run a screw if you have a converter under altereds, funny cars, and doors cars the dragsters must run a roots blower

7. Sledge

Sledge Poor

Get em Brandon, dang I was just fighting for a 14!!!!

8. DISCODEAN

DISCODEAN Member

now brandon

dont be mad that i have a good connect on a used C blower!!!! yes i said it!!! and I'm not tellin who it is!!!! ha ha lol !!!pennies on the dollar also!!! disco dean just tryn to cause a lil trouble!!!

9. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Let's assume you can get it 50% cheaper than full price, so lets say $5,000.00. Don't forget the rest of the stuff you need.

Injector Hat: $3k
    Intake Manifold: $4-$5k, I'm sure you'd have a custom Hogan deal for a BBC
    Blower Bag: $1100
    Pulleys: $300
    Belts: $1000 (couple new ones because of different length)
    Belt Guard: $450
    Waterman Fuel Pump: $1200

Adds up...

Brandon

10. DISCODEAN

DISCODEAN Member

now now :(

Lets not get huffy puffy! B ! I know 4 christmas u asked 4 a screw blower but santa couldn't get it down the chimney!!!

11. DISCODEAN

DISCODEAN Member

show me where it says no screw blower

Dragster Rules:
    • NOS Dragsters have NO limits on Cubic Inch or Stages of Nitrous, Clutches permitted must be Self Starting.
    • All Supercharged Dragster must have Torque Converter and be Self Starting.
    • Small Block Dragsters are allowed 1471 Standard Hi Helix Superchargers.
    • Big Block Cast Aluminum Head Dragsters are allowed 1471 Standard Hi Helix Superchargers NO Superman or PSI Style Superchargers Allowed!!!!! No Set Back Rotors!!!!!!
    • Hemi, AJ, and Billet Aluminum Head Big Block Dragster limited to 871 Superman or PSI Superchargers.
    • Allowed external battery packs.

doesn't say anything at all about a screw blower ANYWHERE!!!!! doesnt say your not allowed,doesn't say NO SCREW BLOWERS under dragsters! besides a guy running a bbc/conventional aluminum head/powerglide is the under dog anyway! discodean always the unerdog.......woof .....woof....

12. pete9857

pete9857 Member

disco

you are a real bandit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. blown375

blown375 New Member

Disco biscuit, If screws were allowed someone would build another Santos type smallblock car and kill the class! Maybe your not so much of an underdog,your water jacketed cast heads are lighter, that shorty powerglide is lighter than a bruno or lencodrive, like Brandon-"Underby6" said buy an aluminum block then add some aluminum rods, then put every part on that woof... woof...bad dog on a diet and get that car down as close to the minimum weight with a 14-71 as you can and you will surprise your self and everyone else!
    In fear of sounding like a suck a&& quite a few people and I were impressed with what you were running before! stay focused brother!!!

14. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Nobody is huffy puffy, just saying there are much smarter ways of making that ol pooch run. We both know that if you showed up with a screw blower, the rules would be "clarified" before you even started it up.....now that's alot of wasted money. With the new rules, there is an advantage for you.....but it's not as easy as bolting a blower on. Take all the weak links out of that motor, and like Bob said, you'll be suprised. Also, if you do it the "legal" way....nobody is going to complain when you outrun them.

Happy New Year Everyone,
    Brandon Booher

Bob: You get an 8-71 yet?

15. DISCODEAN

DISCODEAN Member

mmmmmmmmmmm?

Food for thought! good ideas on the Block,Robert I appricate everybodys input.I am really interested to see if anyone has ran that combination b4? Has anyone heard of this ?Im sure someone out there has done it!! Disco!!!good to hear from u Robert!!!!

16. BLOWN INCOME

Disco, Your Car Runs Great And Consistence...unless You Are Changing To Run Heads-up I Would Not Change A Thing..it Is My Recommendation Not To Try To Do Both....angela Said Hi...

17. DISCODEAN

DISCODEAN Member

Thanx alot

Thankx 4 the reply, tell her I said hello!!! u guys racing this season? DiscoDean!!!

18. TOL

TOL Active Member

Hey DiscoDean, if you don't buy that "C" I might be interested in it. Drop me a line with some info please. whome@look.ca

19. DISCODEAN

DISCODEAN Member

no problem

no problemtol, but it is such a good deal even if I cant run it I have to buy it!! know what I mean!!! discodean

20. blown375

blown375 New Member

"Bob: You get an 8-71 yet?"

Disco, Not to hijack your post but Yes Brandon sent a check today got a good used kobelco. Brandon, Thank you for all the effort that you put into trying to finding me one.:cool: