BBC blower motor

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by vht, Sep 29, 2016.

1. vht

vht Member

Been thinking about building a SB or BB chevy with a blower for a street and strip deal. I'm doing a 40 chev coupe project, narrowed 8.8, 18.50x31x15's, tube chassis with a full cage. During all my drag racing, I ran BBC so I'm kind of partial to them. I want to use a 8.71 and 2 holley DP carbs, pump gas on the street. Can't afford aftermarket block, this will be a semi budget deal. What would you all suggest cubic inch wise to build? I would think whatever it is, it should be internally balanced, correct? I was looking at Hampton or Dyers on the blower kit. If anyone has done a build like this, or has suggestions please post them. Also, I have a set of 781 heads, oval port, would they be worth using with some port work and bigger valves?

craig moss likes this.
  2. vht

vht Member

Nobody has built a semi budget blown BBC?

3. TAFC 5 81

TAFC 5 81 Member

Yes, but it was blown alcohol and not for street use (and almost 40 years ago). I have no experience with oval port heads (other than on the tow truck). I have run factory cast iron blocks BBFC engine 1977.jpg (.400 tall truck block), factory forged cranks (4" stroke was internally balanced) and factory square port open chamber heads (2.19 Intake/ 1.88 Exhaust). Enderle 110 pump, underachieving 6-71 up to 40% OD, Mallory Super Mag II. Did not run water in heads or block.

I am sure there are some on here that have done it more recently

4. craig moss

craig moss Member

A stock block 2 bolt with studs is good for around 1k hp. Internal/external wont matter that much for what you are trying to do. Do some research on the best cheap rod with a bushed pin bore. 468ci max on a stock block. As long as the heads aren't the peanut ones they will be fine. Use the stainless steel felpro head gaskets. You can use a rectangle port intake on oval heads. Its not perfect but you will have a rec port intake when you upgrade the heads. I did it for years. Forged pistons should be ran. The above will live around 6500 rpm. No need to run a damper. The belt will disperse the harmonics. The crank needs to be double keyed for the crank hub. Stud girdles are a must. Keep the cam mild 650 lift 114 lc. The above is budget advice. You should be able to make 700 hp without leaning on it hard on pump gas. I'm sure I forgot to list a lot... It's been 20 years since I did a budget deal. Hope this helps.

5. vht

vht Member

Thanks Craig, that helped. Running a 454, externally balanced, with just the hub on the front won't cause any problems? I want to stay 6800 and under, and I was planning double keyed. I have a nice set of 781 heads, they flow really good with some bowl work. I don't really like the mismatched ports, but researching I see where alot of people have done it. I was thinking sbc at first, but I'd need a bb crank snout, and it'd cost about the same in the long run with less power.

6. vht

vht Member

Another thought, since it took 3 engines to get a good block the last time I bought a gen IV block, I could go with a gen VI. Thicker deck, and cyl walls, 4 bolt mains, and the 6 doesn't have sealing problems with the head gaskets and early heads like the 5's did. Plus you can find them easier.

7. craig moss

craig moss Member

I only know about the 4 series. You will be fine with just a crank hub. You can run a damper but it just sticks the pulley way out there applying more leverage pulling up on the crank. The belt will disperse the harmonics just fine. Get a hub with a degree ring on it.

8. vht

vht Member

Thanks

9. wanagofaster

wanagofaster Member

We are big block guys as well but we are doing a small block right now for the street that I would be happy to share info with you about. my number is 970 402 4653 if you want to hear our theories .

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  10. vht

vht Member

wanagofaster, just seen your reply, may get with you. I'm thinking about a 383 sbc, and a 871. Talked to Dyers. I'll ck in with you one evening, thanks.