BBC block mounted starter

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by WIZBANG, Jul 14, 2009.

1. WIZBANG

WIZBANG Member

What do you guys use for a starter, when using a MSD mag, so it will spin fast enough to start ? Has to be mounted on the block. Am I stuck going to a 16 volt system ? Big Block Chevy

2. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

use a small starter....GPE, CSR, etc. get 2 small 12 volt batteries and run it on 24 volts...trouble free.

3. alcohol altered

alcohol altered New Member

I use a Tilton Super Starter (only 12V) with a BBC 11.5 comp 14:71 HH. I use a Super Mag III though. Never had a problem.

4. WIZBANG

WIZBANG Member

I don't have any problems now with the small starter and the Mag V from Cirello. The problem I have is the Mag V and the darn EGT data gathering in the data logger. I already have the MSD 20 and think it is the "cheapest" fix by using the MSD mag instead of buying a new data logger. Tried alot of different combo's on grounds, no change. Has MSD wires. Pretty much given up. In order to get the 10 minutes of record time in the data logger, you don't have alot of choices. The RacePak seems to be the best choice, but
    $ 7200 to replace what I have and it doesn't have the wireless capabilities I have now.. I know, I'm whining :(

5. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

i would buy 2 small 12V batteries....start on 24V....we use a Mag 20 on our deal. don't buy all the step down gizmos...etc. just run it 24V and you will be fine.

6. altered boy

altered boy Outlaw Altered

MSD is the key word here... without going 24volts you'll spin it all day and never start it.

mallory vs msd is apples vs oranges

and hemi altered is right on... use a small reduction style starter... hit it with 24volts and never look back

7. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

I've used one like this for years on my blown BBC at 16v. Not one problem.
    These small starters come out of the import motors, make sure you get the one that is extra long on starter motor end. Those where for diesels and are better.
    http://www.csr-performance.com/csr_starters.html

Blessings........Ron.

8. DQUES

DQUES Member

Have used the good CSR with a 16 volt battery and no probs with a big chief chevy and 14/71 with a mag 20 .

9. Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler Member

Seems like pretty much anything works. I use the baby GM starter on 24 volts.
    I initially ran some tests and for a given cranking period the starter was actually cooler temp wise on the 24 volts. I forget what the speed difference was.

I wound up with the GM because of the supported nose and the fact that the gear would completely engage the ring gear all the way across where many of the modified imports would not. (Had some issues with that partial engagement thing)

10. James D

James D New Member

Powermaster xs starter with 16 volts and MSD 20 mag worked perfect on my blown alcohol 588ci 11/1 BBC.

11. WIZBANG

WIZBANG Member

Thanks guys !

I was told that the small GM starter that looks like a mini of the regular bigger starter, actually has plastic parts inside ??

I am using the small " Hitachi " type starter now with a great 12 volt Oddessy battery. It fires and goes in a 1/2 revolution with the Cirello mag.

I had used a MSD 12 in a ProStock a few years back. This is when I found out it wouldn't spin fast enough to start on the 12 volt. I then ran two small 12 volt batteries in series (?) and it fired right up, BUT, the damn starter wasn't happy ,,, it tried to fight the ring gear alot ,, sounded bad ???????

12. gregl

gregl Member

I have a 547 chevy with a 1471 hh and a mag 20 on 12 volts and it starts right up.Everyone said it would not work and that was 5 yeas ago and it still works!!!

13. WIZBANG

WIZBANG Member

Greg, what starter and what battery do you use ?

Alcohol or nitro ?

14. gregl

gregl Member

CSI performance products starter.
    Blue top optima battery.
    Alcohol.
    Trust me it works.
    I hold the primer button down for 8 to 10 seconds after a pill change,crank the motor for 2 seconds and flip on the mag and let go of the primer when it starts.
    The primer prevents extended cranking time,although it will still spin it over until it gets fuel by itself.
    Try it you will not be disapointed.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  15. WIZBANG

WIZBANG Member

Well damn,,, I tried a MSD 12 and a Red Top a few years ago in the ProStock,
    there was no way it would start. I had to run two 12 volt batteries to get it fast enough ?

That very same starter, now with the Oddessy, starts the blown thing no problem but with the MAG V, just way to much noise in the data logger ?

16. gregl

gregl Member

I forgot a very impotant part.
    You must have a plug gap of about 17 or it will not fire!!!

17. WIZBANG

WIZBANG Member

Hmmm, maybe that is where I was honked up,,, it's been so long ago, I can't remember what I used for a gap when I had the MSD 12, now on the Cirello Mag V I use .018.

Could the plug gap cause more noise in the data logger ? Maybe I should try
    .015 on the Mag V ?

18. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

On that ProStock, did you use a crank trigger? If you did and the pickup was gapped wide, it won't start either without spinning it fast.

19. WIZBANG

WIZBANG Member

No on the crank trigger. Just timing it off the flywheel ( boat deal )

20. blowntrifive

blowntrifive Member

CSR 24 volt starting system,Got a Pro Mag 20 on a Blown BBC Two Red Tops in series,Turns it over like there is no plugs in it. Gap plugs at .018 and have a auto switch from mag to trigger. Works great!