BBC 1471 baseline setup

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Jgoodale, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Jgoodale

Jgoodale New Member

Hey guys, first off I want to say I love the site I have been reading many posts and have learned a whole lot about tuning blown alcohol engines. My dad and I run a 115" nostalgia altered 1/8 mile mostly. we are looking to run the 4.65 index once we get it all tuned up, the old setup would run 4.80s with a good 3/4 burn on the plugs. We had an old 10-71 with an enderle cube and just hat nozzles .050x8 with a 155 pill on a 433, we dropped a valve earlier in the year and have been building the new engine ever since. We have acquired a 14-71 standard helix magnesium cased blower with carbon hat with a k valve. We now have everything together and are setting up the fuel system. The new engine is a 496 with dart 345 heads, 9:1 compression, 680 lift cam full roller we run a super mag ||| set at 32 deg. This is our first time running port nozzles as well as the k valve. Seeing as this is almost all new to us I was looking for a little guidance. We have an enderle 110 pump that has 30 passes on it. currently we have 8 hat nozzles .050, port nozzles are set at .036 with a 20lb poppet, the idle poppet is set at 5psi, our high speed is blocked off currently. We have the blower set at 10 over right now. The pump saver loop is set at 200psi. Am I close?
    Any input is greatly appreciated, we are hoping to have the car out Wednesday night for a couple 330' test hits on the initial setup.

Thanks in advance
    Jacob

2. mark6052

mark6052 Member

Free tune up advice

Well it seems you have been spending a lot of money to upgrade your program. Do you want it to live? do you want to hit the dial in? and be able to repeat it with air changes? If you answered yes to this my super tune advice is this. Spend a little more money and get a real tune up set up for your needs. Now I admit I'm a BIG fan of spud miller and fuel injection enterprise. there are others out there that you may use. Best money I ever spent. :)

3. Jgoodale

Jgoodale New Member

I have have dealt with spud and he is great! I have been using his calculator to get an idea of what is going on. I understand that the send it to someone and get you close is the predominant answer to the am I close with my tune up question. I understand if no one wants to share their advice, and yours is by far the best bet, but at this point it's out of the question unfortunately. I am not looking for trade secrets, seeing as this is my first time with some of the hardware I was just wondering if we are close .

4. bandit496

bandit496 Member

Not a drag racer--tractor puller. We ran 496's with 14's at 45 over, one a standard rotor SSI and one a Littlefield HH. Your numbers don't look out of the ball park to me, but that isn't saying much. We staggered the hat nozzles from front to back with back being a little smaller (54-52-50-two in rear of blower). I would make the port nozzles in the front of the motor a little bigger (high 50's in front back to 40's in rear) . Our experience is to fuel number two cylinder. But a tractor pull run lasts 10-12 seconds at WOT. We also ran a Hilborn 2. I would make sure the pump is up to snuff. Just my experience for what it is worth. JW

5. Jgoodale

Jgoodale New Member

Thanks for the response, I am glad to hear that we are in the ball park, I am surprised you have larger nozzles in the front of your engines. We have always had the blower push the fuel to the front of the engine. Do you have your blowers set back at all?

6. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

All of our engines have had larger port nozzles in the front, with all our different intakes we've tried, but all of our blowers have been high helix.

In our engines the front cylinders get more fuel and get more air, our hat fuel mostly goes to the front cylinders too.