Base line tune-up Help

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Critical Mass, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Member

Please help with my base line tune on my 565 ci BBC.

This is what I have: Big M Dart block; 11.1 cr; 14-71 HH Littlefield roots blower; Buzzard hat; Indy manifold, using hat and port nozzles, 110 pump (100 psi at 8000 rpm with a 100 main jet), 44 MSD mag. Note: I can get 23 psi with 20%od at 8000 rpm with the blower. I am using NGK-9 plugs set at 0.015 gap with 30* ignition timing.

My Setup: Butterfly clearance 0.012; idle check 6.5 psi; port check 12.5 psi; high-speed jet 65 set at 62 psi; pump saver at 180 psi.

One question I have is how do you arrive at a base-line nozzle area for ~ 2000 HP? Currently, I'm using ~0.028 sq.in total area. I think this may be too much? I understand that a 60% hat area to 40% port area is a good setup?

What do think? Where am I going wrong? Any help appreciated.
    Thanks, Joe

2. NITRO MAS

NITRO MAS Member

Got to http://fuelinjectionent.com/ and use the tune up calculator. Once you enter in all the parameters it will give you the optimum set up. Spud is a member of this board as is great to do business with as well

James

3. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

I don't know what heads your running but I will be surprised if you hit 2000 HP at 23 psi.

If you truely think you'll hit 2000 HP I'll also be surprised if you have a big enough pump to deliver enough fuel at the lower RPMs.

If it were mine I would start off by not using the High Speed or use a 990 so later you can up the blower OD.

I run similiar setup in tractor pulling but use 990 pumps, 8-71s and more boost. I'm real confident in my fuel setup as I constitently use our computerized electronic fuel flowbench to make adjustments.

4. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Member

Nitro Mas,
    Thanks for the link to Spud's calculator it will be a big help in the future. I agree the best thing is to get my system flowed. Right now I'm using the Dart cnc Pro-1 water heads that flow 345 cfm, but I'm thinking of going to the Brodix 1802 (solid) that flow 456 cfm.

Does anyone know how HP relates to total jet area to the engine and fuel flow? I didn't see in Spud's calculator where I could enter high-speed jets?
    Thanks for all the help, Joe

5. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Flowed System

Jet area doesn't really tie to horsepower, it'd be more based on the blower and cfm of the cylinder heads. The best money you'll ever spend on your racecar is having your system flowed by an ESTABLISHED company. The money it takes to go make laps and break stuff trying to get your baseline established can all be done on a flowbench. Spike Gorr (IMHO) is a great guy to deal with, (928) 855-8800 is his shop number. Him and his dad have been doing it so long, they've seen every combo you could imagine and can get you squared away right from the get-go. I am not sponsored by them nor do I get a discount for typing this (come on Spike) but these guys will save you tens of thousands in the long run. Good luck and hope you get it all taken care of!

Regards,
    Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

6. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

the gorr family has been doing my main jets and nozzles for yrs. and I have been very happy with them and the turn around is FAST..dave

7. Relentless

Relentless www.bretitanium.com

First step for me is to fit a 990 pump