Barrel Valve Leakdown thoughts...

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by WJ Birmingham, May 6, 2008.

1. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

Wizbang and I were having a discussion last night on barrel valve adjusting.

We differ a little on our methods, but we both get to the same place.

So, while on the toilet (where I do my best thinking), I had this brilliant idea, which he thought would work (I'm looking for someone to shoot it down with logic).

Instead of setting the valve at "X" leak down, rapping the motor for best response and re-adjusting the BV, then leaking it down again, and recording the weather and percentage, why not use a wide band o2 gauge?

Use the same methods that have been tried and true, and see if those methods result in the a/f gauge giving the same a/f ratio number each time (or really close). If it does, pick the average number within the range that works best, and set the BV for that a/f ratio at idle.

Would this work? If not, why not?

It seems like it would save some time in the pits.

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Nope, go back and sit on the throne again and do some more thinking. First thing is that the AFR while at idle is way richer than any wide band O2 sensor out there can record.

3. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

Dammit Jim! LOL

4. mark6052

mark6052 Member

straining is hard on the brain

:eek: another brillient thought flushed away :D like mike said idle has nothing todo with afr. you want it fat. ever notice the amount of fuel puking out at idle on a screw blower car? take that away and youd melt it down.

5. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

I think you're misunderstanding me.

I'm only wanting to set the idle A/F ratio.

And yes, maybe on a pro-mod you'd melt it down, but not on the pussy hp I make.

6. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

if its a chevy you still dont want it to burn up on the idle just set it with the leakdown tester at 80-84 percent i have mine at 82 percent and letter eat lol
    for and old chevy 76-80 percent to lean and it will stumble when you crack the throttle

7. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

That much? I was going to start at 70%... Maybe I should re-think that.

8. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

Wait a minute. After further thought on that statement...

Your BV leakdown isn't going to be the same as mine.

Number of nozzles, base system pressure, blower size/style not to mention a few other things are going to contribute to some differences.

Right?

9. craig moss

craig moss Member

leak down bv

set it at 75 warm it and try to rev it if there is a mark in the spool valve shaft set it at one o'clock fire it and try it how did they do it before leaker's there is no exact science from one setup to another crank on it till it feels good and give it one more flat and run it if see is squirtin a little you are close just my 2cent :cool:

10. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

WJ i have run blown chevys in 47 fiat altered for a long time before i went to a hemi i wouldnt steer you wrong are give you bad advice if i didnt know i wouldnt say any thing ( lol ) besides i paid alot of money for some of this knowledge but some of it i learned the hard way because i didnt have ayone to ask

11. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

Thanks Jim...

Here's a little shot of the finished fuel line plumbing...

[​IMG]

The passenger side pump, yet to be plumbed, is a transfer pump from the rear cell to the front surge tank.

12. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

13. 560Jim

560Jim Member

Afr

Another thing to consider is idle fuel volume is a function of both BV leak AND idle check valve pressure. If everyone is running the same check valve pressures then stating a given BV leakdown to suit a certain combination is fine.
    Jim:)

14. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

BV and fuel lines

The BV's function is to ultimately control the engine temp at idle and the very intial hit of the throttle, which has alot to do with the engine temp. as mentioned in the cyl head temp discussion, if the engine is too hot at idle, it may cause detonation problems and may cause an engine to go lean where a cooler idling motor may not experience the same problems with the same afr.

It's hard to say looking at your pictures, but this is a note everyone needs to check on a blown motor, esp if you're sitting behind it is to make sure you have more than enough length in the fuel lines going into the BV. Basically you want your blower restraints to limit the travel of the blower, not your main fuel lines. If it rips the fuel shut off off the top of the pump, you'll have a fire bad enough to melt your truck to the ground. Ask Vern Moats, Kebin Kinsley, Tate Branch and others. Moral of the story is to make damn sure you have enough length.

I know that last sentence is going to open a can of worms....LOL.:p

15. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

Will,

Thanks, but I run the blower restraints like I do my own seat belts. Really damn tight.

Something that Mike Canter PM'd me about, which I appreciate, is that I don't have a check in the pump sizer circuit. Mike stated it should be around 40 PSI (sorry if I'm giving away secrets Mike, but I'm trying to learn here).

This was good food for thought, and made me think further on the topic. Just for giggles, I called Jim @ Enderle to get his thoughts as well. Jim stated that they typically set them up at 25PSI.

I guess I'm still a bit confused on that particular subject. I thought the whole idea of a pump sizer was to reduce the total output of the pump at ALL RPMs, not just above a certain pump pressure.

I can logically see having a check in the line set just above the idle pressure check (6-8 PSI) to keep the BV line from leaking down to nothing, but I'm struggling with the logic behind having it at 25 or 40 PSI.

On a secondary topic... Room up front is really limited, without stretching the nose of the truck, which is not going to happen this year.

I have a 1 Gallon aluminum cell measuring 6x6x6 that will just fit on either the driver or passenger side of the motor, in front of the mid plate.

This brings in a concern about rules and safety. If I create a full length blower belt guard (similar to the RCD unit) down the driver's side, can I mount the 1 gallon cell legally between the belt guard and frame rail?

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  16. blownapex

blownapex Member

idle %

maybe a flow meter would tell idle gpm or %
    i purchased one but havent used it yet
    any one know what idle gpm should be on a
    60 over brad fuel head 526/littlefield1100 pump/ combo
    im 85% leak down now

17. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

idle flow

idle flow is usually too low to really register on the flow meter.

18. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

will that old truck take all that motor ( lol ) looks pretty good there wj

19. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

Prolly not... I hope not. I only want to run mid 7s. :D

20. craig moss

craig moss Member

mag

I bet you started sweating when you put the mag in it looks close to the bar nice looking set up looks like you have done a lot of work