BAE vs Fontana

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by TA206, May 31, 2004.

1. TA206

TA206 New Member

What's everyone think about the pro's and con's of the two engines in a TA/FC? Also, is one better than the other at 125%O.D.? Trying to make a decision on either one. Experienced answers only, please.

Thanks.

2. Gerry Woz

Gerry Woz Comp Eliminator

Based upon our 20 years in TAFC..we love the Fontana = MBE engine. The BAE certainly is comparable, but all things considered now "I" would choose the Fontana/MBE combo.. It's designed to be simpler to work on ..the heads can be pulled without taking the manifold/ blower/ fuel lines off...and it's stout(We've run 5.59 @256 mph this year)...it's rpm tolerant..valves springs live relatively well...all in all it's a great motor and will only be getting better now that the Miner Bros. have purchased the rights to the motor and will be controlling the manufacturing and design processes into the future. :D

[ June 01, 2004, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Gerry Woz ]

3. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Gerry's right, but Brad's stuff is good, too. You also need to look at support. BAE does an excellent job servicing and repairing what they sell (and they even fix the competitor's stuff, too).

FYI. Be carefull of people trying to sell you the trick of the week when buying parts, though. You can waste a lot of money that way. Marc and I have made some decent runs with almost all standard issue BAE stuff. Talk to Jeremy at Brad's.

4. TA206

TA206 New Member

Thanks for the comments,guys.Anyone else share their thoughts?

Thanks.

5. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

Just a thought.

The Fontana only has several cars running the combination.

I suspect many more laps have been made on the Brad comb.

Does the Fontana still have untapped potential?

6. Gerry Woz

Gerry Woz Comp Eliminator

Of course it has more potential...that's what I meant when I said ..now that Bob Miner and his family have bought everything associated with the Fontana..it's so they can continue the progress but under their guidance...try it you'll never go back to what ever you were running before...call Bob he'll talk with you.. :D

7. Joe Percoco

Joe Percoco Member

I am certainly no expert on these motors but I do have two cars - one I have always run Hemis and the one I have purchased recently runs the Fontanas.Though we have yet to make a "steller" pass (been working through some ignition, steering issues) I can tell you that at this point I prefer the Fontana. The valve train is designed better, the oiling system is much better and I personaly like the idea of a rear thrust on the crank rather than a center thrust. The motors go together nicer (though I have to admit, the first time I saw the front cover/drive assembly I thought it was a transmission!). The cylinder head removal is just an added plus. With Minor at the helm now personalized service is also a huge plus. I think anyones motor is capable of running super fast - Brad, Austin, Fontana. But all things considered, if I were starting from scratch right now, I would buy the Fontana.
    Joe Percoco